Gearing ?? / Trike build !

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got to hunt some metal , and got to do some Planning , but yeah I think it will work out just fine...... I'm gonna use Old 40 year old 14" ET Mags
on the Rear . I got the wheels already , and a 14" tire is just about the same size ...on the outside as the 17" rear Goldwing tire. so, the only difference will be the little bit on the Gearing.

here are the Parts cleaned and painted ... just a start

Attachments

• Trike Rear Wheel Off +.jpg
    Trike Rear Wheel Off +.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 158
  • Trike Parts 2 +.jpg
    Trike Parts 2 +.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 155
What is your plan to offset the differential so the bike is centered? Are the bike drive rotation and Subaru rear rotation the same? After painting those parts look great btw.

I stripped my Goldwing down lastnight , I still have to remove the Swing Arm and Driveshaft , Exhaust , Center Stand , and Inside rear fender .then I can get some real close Measurments how much the offset is for the Driveshaft , I think it will be somewhere around 3 " to 4 " , I plan to cut the Short Shaft on the right side and take out enough to put the driveshaft inline . . . . this may not be Easy , but I really think it will work . and I really think the hardest part of this build will be to make a Reverse . but my wife has an Uncle , 78 years old , and he really is the Smartest person I ever met , and we are really good friends . he came up yesterday , and is giving me a lot of help with this ... more High Tech help than just cutting and welding. so......... the plan is moving slowly. :music:

yeap sledge is getting his wing as striped as some of mine :popcorn: thers no doubt that this will be a cool project im thinking of doing too ....seems like a nice diet one would make an excallent touring machine ...that would also pull a trailer just fine too :mrgreen: id think

yes Joe , we have a guy 85 years old in the Camping club , who pulls a small Teardrop camping with a 1500 Goldwing with a sidecar ..... today I got the Driveshaft and Swing Arm off mine. slow but sure.

heres where I am with this . ... I'm trying to get some good measurements...... and see where everything is gonna be.....

Attachments

• Measuring +.jpg
    Measuring +.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 131
thanks Joe , I have been thinking about this for a while , and looking at different things , and I wanted something kinda small and light , because the bike has to pull this around , and the lighter the better . I think this is gonna do it , and I have been checking Tire size , and say a 235-60-14 car tire is just say 1 or 2" taller than the 17" tire I took off it , so...... with the slightly lower gear in the Subaru rear........the tire size should make up for that. course........ these are just a rough guess , but....we'll see . :builder:

I got a Question ... I can't use my Stock Exhaust on this Trike Build , so... my question is do any of you guys have a set of down tubes that you would sell... ( that I could afford ) ... no matter how bad the Muffler is Bent , Rusted out , all that matters is the 4 down tubes are good enough that I could weld to a new Pipe , and run all the pipes into a Car Type Muffler up under the Trike somewhere .

sledge":3tf8c8da said:
heres where I am with this . ... I'm trying to get some good measurements...... and see where everything is gonna be.....
Great looking pic. & project you're so determined.Congrats :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: keep those pics. coming :good:

here is a short piece of the Subaru Driveshaft , and a Piece of the Goldwing Driveshaft , and a Machined piece to join the 2 Shafts .

image.php

and here is the Driveshaft ready to Weld ... thats my friend ( Uncle-In-Law ) Wifes 78 year old uncle .... and one SMART Man. who made the Machined part , holding it ,

image.php

thats some nice work there and looks suuper sound and realy up to the task at hand ...this project is going strong sledge ...its nice when you have some realy good help ...no telling what he capable of doing ... anything he wants im sure.... :mrgreen:

Latest posts