Gearing ?? / Trike build !

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sledge":w3p6tx8a said:
and here is the Driveshaft ready to Weld ... thats my friend ( Uncle-In-Law ) Wifes 78 year old uncle .... and one SMART Man. who made the Machined part , holding it ,

image.php
Truly spectacular work.You hang on to dear life on that gentleman there,what he can achieve looks amazing. :salute:

Yeah his name is Fain Wells , and he is one of my VERY Best Friends . . . . . he lives in a little place the old TV show , Hee Haw , made famous years ago. ( Bulls Gap ) Tennessee . and yes , there really is such a place. :smilie_happy: ... there really is only 2 things to building this Trike that has to have some Machine work , the Driveshaft , and shortening the Right side Axle ... the rest of it is just mark cut and weld really . I'm slow because of the money more than anything else . I have to get a few parts when I can afford them . ......... but , I'm workin at it . :builder:

sledge":16n00dgx said:
Yeah his name is Fain Wells , and he is one of my VERY Best Friends . . . . . he lives in a little place the old TV show , Hee Haw , made famous years ago. ( Bulls Gap ) Tennessee . and yes , there really is such a place. :smilie_happy: ... there really is only 2 things to building this Trike that has to have some Machine work , the Driveshaft , and shortening the Right side Axle ... the rest of it is just mark cut and weld really . I'm slow because of the money more than anything else . I have to get a few parts when I can afford them . ......... but , I'm workin at it . :builder:
Slowly but surely nothing wrong with that :good:

here is the Driveshaft...... Welded , smoothed all the Welds down and checked for any Cracks, and bad spots........then cleaned and Painted.... It Is READY !

image.php

this Driveshaft is 11 1/2" long...and it will make the Wheelbase of the Trike real clost to 70 " . Ohhhhhh this Rear End is an Independant like a Jag. or a Vette. ...the Rear Housing mounts solid , there is no slip joint . I will slide the Goldwing end up on the Trans. and replace the clip ring to hold it like it has always been . and the back end Bolts to the Rear just like it did in the Car. ... this Drivshaft is really the only thing that says where the Rear is gonna set.

Thanks Dan .... well... I think I can build it with my buddys help , and I hope to have it finished by early spring.

dan filipi":ipmar2qk said:
This gearing thread has evolved into a trike build so I've moved it to the trike forum.
Haven't noticed it at all Dan :shock: I haven't felt the slightest shake, push or tug :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

sledge":1vpvfrh3 said:
here is the Driveshaft...... Welded , smoothed all the Welds down and checked for any Cracks, and bad spots........then cleaned and Painted.... It Is READY !

image.php
Just a crazy idea from a totally normal fella :shock: ...I don't suppose this shaft needs to be balanced do to its short length or still does :headscratch: :headscratch:.

well...........I know both ends of the Shaft will be OK , and then piece my buddy made is the same all the way around too...... the only thing that could change would be the Weld that I put on it. but the Driveshaft will be easy to take out..IF there was a problem.

I'll tell you how I cut the driveshaft...........the perfect cut....... a Pipe Cutter . makes it perfect smooth. and straight

No worries. Any slight imbalance can be fixed with a hose clamp. Just turn it until any vibration disappears.

Ohhhhhhhhh yes you guys are sure right , and I never heard the trick before of the Hose Clamp. BUT.... I know that could work for sure . thanks for the Idea. :music:

sledge":9r3enefu said:
well...........I know both ends of the Shaft will be OK , and then piece my buddy made is the same all the way around too...... the only thing that could change would be the Weld that I put on it. but the Driveshaft will be easy to take out..IF there was a problem.
I was also thinking about the weld when I brought this up since the shaft is pretty short as to having a vibration do to assembly,but you never know.Here is something that my help clearify what step is taken with a longer one.....what I find impressing is the welding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImXbZ8P0 ... re=related

it sure would be nice to have a setup like that .... But, not only Don't I have it... I don't even know where there is such a thing. so , I just have to do things the hardway . :smilie_happy:

Latest posts