Here she is, I named her, "the Wanderer "

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes id say blown head gasket,,,,other than that it sounds rather good ......to it is a great buy ..doing the head gaskets gives a chance to ckean cylinders up and get all glaze gone and put some long life in this bike ......carbs sound good ....ignition doing well as it sits ...great deal medco

Thanks guys. I will run it again tomorrow at 3000rpm and check bubbles. I'm rather shocked that the bike runs so well. It was knocking pretty rough and i simply put new plugs in and oil. Have not had chance to sync carbs yet so I'm happy so far. Later on down the road, the PO of this bike has an extra good running engine that he is basically giving me, so I at least will have backup if I run into any serious surprises :BigGrin:

Is he going to deliver it as well? :shock: Get the most out of your investment! :hihihi:Deal gets better all the time. :smilie_happy:

So I'm going to attemp the head gaskets. Where might I find the Oem top end kit since most are suggesting to go with Oem
Thanks

Good reports on the Vesrah gaskets. I think they are the manufacturer of the OEM gaskets. Just be certain you do NOT get 1000 head gaskets.

Whoa!! Hold on fella! Check this first.

Before you start pulling heads off, check that the weep hole for the water pump is not stopped up and pour out whats in your coolant reservoir.

If it looks like this:-
HTC one 077.jpg
then your water pump O rings are bad and the hole was stopped up.

I went down this road last year, that photo is what to expect after cruising 1300 miles in a week.

I pulled my heads, and believe me you ain't gonna be able to tell if those gaskets are were letting by or not, they never come off clean.

But if you clean out the weep hole with a wire and clean it with some aerosol degreaser (the tube sticks perfectly up it) and run it till it's as hot as it gets, what your gonna end up with is a oil leak (my case) or coolant leak out of it, and then you know it was the water pump O rings and not the heads.

Easy to check, to avoid goin' down the road I did!!

Cool name for the bike! :BigGrin:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161425#p161425:37wb961t said:
chilidawg » 24 minutes ago[/url]":37wb961t]
Whoa!! Hold on fella! Check this first.

Before you start pulling heads off, check that the weep hole for the water pump is not stopped up and pour out whats in your coolant reservoir.

If it looks like this:- then your water pump O rings are bad and the hole was stopped up.

I went down this road last year, that photo is what to expect after cruising 1300 miles in a week.

I pulled my heads, and believe me you ain't gonna be able to tell if those gaskets are were letting by or not, they never come off clean.

But if you clean out the weep hole with a wire and clean it with some aerosol degreaser (the tube sticks perfectly up it) and run it till it's as hot as it gets, what your gonna end up with is a oil leak (my case) or coolant leak out of it, and then you know it was the water pump O rings and not the heads.

Easy to check, to avoid goin' down the road I did!!

Cool name for the bike! :BigGrin:
file.php

Thanks for the "heads up", That was one of the first things i checked. I have not opened up the heads yet but i will open up the water pump cover and check for any free play. Thanks again.

If it hasn't been changed already, chances are it needed changed years ago. :builder: Haven't seen an old wing yet with 15-20 thousand on it that doesn't leak, & need replaced :nea:

Another question. I checked the water pump and it appears as though the original has been replaced. Current pump appears to be in good shape with very little play. I also cleaned out the weep hole and no oil or coolant is leaking out of that. Could there still be a leak coming from water pump housing or in that vicinity. I'm simply doing process of elimination before i tear into the heads.
Thanks

Is the pump impeller metal? If so, the pump was likely replaced. If the weep hole is clean and no oil stains or clogs, it is not likely to be the water pump.

Impeller is metal. I am really overwhelmed with this. I'm starting to chicken out. Anyone completed a successful head gasket replacement on the very first try. I'm researching all this and the more I do , the more reluctant I become. Geeesh!!

Head gaskets are not that hard, Dan has some really good You-tubes on it, though I don't like his penchant for copper seal (I put them on Naked) they are a really good "how to".

You can however nickel and dime the bike to death doing this job, but you don't have to.

Using genuine Honda gaskets is important. Definitely replace the oil orifice & intake O rings, copper exhaust gaskets and the valve seals while your at it. Coolant gaskets and O rings too.

Oh and a new pair of gates T274 belts.

All available on Babbits.com or eBay.

Just about every thing else can be reused.

I have watched Dan's video and it does not show the removal of timing belt components. Are these necessary to remove? I believe the book shows removing rocker, pulley and such, is this required?

I think the manuals say to remove cam gear, not necessary to remove any of the cam components but while heads are off most will lap the valves. Lapping isn't really necessary if the compression is good but I would do it, in which case the cam does need to be removed and you need a spring compressor or other method to remove the valve springs.

Relax. Pretty much all the recent head gasket jobs were 1st time deals. Since cams are on the heads the belts will need removed. Very few have actually had any issues at all doing the job with the advice of members here.