Here she is, I named her, "the Wanderer "

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, put it on Top dead center for number 1 with the words "UP" on the belt pullies UP.
I suggest removing the valve covers and backing out the valve adjusters all the way loose. This will help later going back together anyhow and helps take the cam force off the belts.

made2care":jy3aquvl said:
Left appears to be off. It's on the T1 mark. Right is good but left is off at least 1 tooth.
file.php
So it seems. It should run even better when you get it back together. Be sure to check the valves especially on that side.

is it possible that the casting mark on the left is off a tooth due to a different inner belt cover that was put on? the mark appears lower than the mark on the right.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161519#p161519:1thndtvn said:
made2care » Today, 2:51 pm[/url]":1thndtvn]
Removed radiator, will boil clean and check fan.here are some pics. Do I need to mark anything here or turn to t1?

Yes, your left cam is one tooth off.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161547#p161547:1t4idmbw said:
dan filipi » 14 minutes ago[/url]":1t4idmbw]
Could be camera position but it does look like the mark on the left cover is lower than it should be.

I'm thinking that too. The right side is lined up nicely but the "up" is not at 12, its slightly to the left when facing bike . Are these supposed to be exactly at 12 o clock position? I will take a pick of the right side.

Looks to me more like a 1/2 tooth off on both sides.
I wouldn't be too concerned about it right now. Mark the pullies like mentioned earlier then we'll look at this closer during assembly.

from the pics now they look evenly off. So T1 mark is probably not quite lined up. With those pullies the word "up" cannot be at the 12 o clock position. Looks like closer to 1 o clock. I think you're good.

The "UP" in my experience, is not an exact science, close enough is good enough.

In fact your "UP's", look as good as my "UP's" did when I put it back together for the last time.

And mine runs like a scalded cat! :BigGrin:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161504#p161504:2tgdnkzp said:
made2care » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:20 pm[/url]":2tgdnkzp]
Impeller is metal. I am really overwhelmed with this. I'm starting to chicken out. Anyone completed a successful head gasket replacement on the very first try. I'm researching all this and the more I do , the more reluctant I become. Geeesh!!

My very first head gasket job was successful. I've learned erything I know about these bikes on this forum and using my manual. Seems overwhelming now but take ur time and all will be ok. Don't worry about the timing now, you are gonna need to reset all that when u put her back together anyway and there is no magic smoke here to let lose, just as simple as lining up all the marks then verifying all spins freely by hand.

Your in good hands here.

:good:

quit thinking to much were doing head gasket timing it will come then ...we wont let you mess up if you keep posting right now it doing the head gaskets right first ...good work but lets just get the heads off .....sink on e piston down 1/2 way cylinder with a plug out to feel your right wit a stick of some kind something softer than metal...one piston 1/2 way down all pistons are 1/2 way down and take heads off....is what id do now

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161571#p161571:2lwap1wn said:
made2care » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:18 am[/url]":2lwap1wn]
Okay, here are the marks I've made. So I guess I am good to go to remove the belts.
file.php

Yup. Pull the belts and pull the heads.

I like to mark mine on the outer edges of the cam wheels with the flywheel at T1, but whatever floats your boat.

One tip, when turning the engine using the alternator nut, use a 12mm deep offset wrench and always turn upwards, even if you miss T1 just by a little bit, don't be tempted to turn your wrench downward on that nut, go all the way around again and try again.

You seriously will hate yourself if that nut comes loose.