hooch getting a new fuel source

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
okay my test ride is getting delayed cause of babysitting ... great job ... almost over ... so here a pic of throttle hook up ... one of the best mods I ever done no parts at all ... but cheesey eye connector :mrgreen:
image.php

this is where the middle adjuster is in the middle of stock cable ans hook up to heat shield mount ....it adjust and everything ... ithough it was slick ill get a real end soon ...and take pliers on ride :mrgreen:

Joe,

Did you have to mod the carb. base plate to mount it to that Type IV manifold?

Any filing opening up mounting holes?

A lot of open area in there.

Looks like you can get your hands in there to work on it a lot easier than the oem4 carb setup.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94335#p94335:5o4kwdgd said:
westgl » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:13 pm[/url]":5o4kwdgd]
Joe,

Did you have to mod the carb. base plate to mount it to that Type IV manifold?

yes the carb fits the smaller type manifold ....this carb bod had enough meat to elongate two of the holes to fit ..type 4
Any filing opening up mounting holes?
opps look above ...did nothing to manifold
A lot of open area in there.
yes I like it
Looks like you can get your hands in there to work on it a lot easier than the oem4 carb setup.
no more work from me on stock set up

backlander":5o4kwdgd said:
put a de-cellerate spring on there joe, I don't think anything in Indiana will be able to catch you if it goes wide open on ya. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

your right ... I jut got back from ride oh my

ok test ride in sheesh right off the bat I knew I was in trouble .... it came off the hill loping like a dragster to the line ....it hsd me whop down close to the house .. I just about get off and pushed it :shock: ....well got through there and down the drive and theon the gravel road .. I cracked the throttle and it grunted one time scatrched off in the graval just off idle .... sheesh ... proceeded up to corner slowing gaind lurch I a few times cause it wanted to spin tires .... made to corner bt then I was good and freaked out about the spinning on gravel .... now on pavement and up hill .....I decided I would id mustard it up the hill ... sheesh it took off ... imens not much throttle and gone ... now its down right scary .... so I make to the hiway up the big now paved hill this thing going like a freight train ......I get to the hiway and im freaked ... I stay in the front barrel as I have been the entire time ... this is totally matched perfect to hooch ..it get to hiwat speed like now ..so smooth and ... and strong ... got to go to airport to pic up my daughter ... finish later

Wow!

All that and just on the 1st bbl, on just the 24mm bbl. side.

NICE!!

Joe did you go through that carb? rebuild it? clean it? Gasket kit? or had it been gone through? or run it as you got it?

He got the carb from me. I had two of em on my trike.....how stupid!
Anyway, I boiled the carbs I was going to try in distilled water for about 45 minutes at a rolling boil, let cool, then blew them out and soda blasted them with a soda blaster and Arm & Hammer. They looked pretty good, as you can see in the picture, but I came down with congestive heart failure and haven't been able to do any more. So Joe took over fab & testing.
Sure sounds like it's going good, don't it? I think scrawny little Joe'll need a seat belt! WOW

Well I rode hooch with the 1000 carbs under all rpms loading it to try and get it to stumble. Also ran it as hard as I could out on his stretch of highway a couple times up through all the gears.
That engine never skipped a beat.
If it runs better than that now it is trurly a build to be very proud of, and that's not just talk!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94363#p94363:3ma5qj2p said:
dan filipi » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:25 pm[/url]":3ma5qj2p]
Well I rode hooch with the 1000 carbs under all rpms loading it to try and get it to stumble. Also ran it as hard as I could out on his stretch of highway a couple times up through all the gears.
That engine never skipped a beat.
If it runs better than that now it is trurly a build to be very proud of, and that's not just talk!

I was there when Joe and Dan rode Hooch. Both gentlemen were impressed, and I agree that an improvement would be a grand slam for Joe.
Keep going Joe...we are pulling for ya!

ok busy night last night couldn't get no time on puter either ....so on the hiway hooch ran dreat went right up tp speed and stayed there ... the single carb set up is so solid ...even ... smooth and quiet ....I had to tuck down below shield to hear hooch run .....the roll on power is I don't think there will ever be kicking down to pass someone ....

its becoming clear to me that some how the heads and cam of 1000 ...on a 1000 you cant hardly get started and cams don't come in till about 4000rpm....... In hooch the gearing is lower....and the 1000 heads and cams seem to turn into the meanest low end torque power bike ive been around :headscratch: ......it starts at just off 0 rpm and last to about 7000 rpm and then starts tailing off from there .....im thinking the extra 1/4" stroke has really changed the set up ...its effect on the cam is undeniable now ....as my buddy V has talked many time about off set keyway to change timing might be something that needs to be done to counter act stroke .. this is just thinking ...its not a bad thing really just so totally unexpected .. to be honest this bike has the power right where you need it on a wing ...this bike could pull a house trailer .. its a freight train ...

and this was also first ride I learned one thing for sure ... hooches power to be ralised is from the get go ... it digs into that secondary barrel and holy hell starts happening ... it will snatch your head back game on ... its totally uncontrollable in this power zone .. you instantly thin 1 parts are going to flying off this thing like bomb 2 im going to wreck instantly 3 somehow I got away with it this time and im still alive ... you have to brave to lay into secondary and hold it just off idle .....sheesh its insane ....icould see it cleaning the teeth off anything in motor .....the non cv weber holley makes this more so ...it has no lag time to get going

I am completely sold on the single set up im not saying its better than stock but ive seen enough to convince me I aint messing with another stock rack for hooch at all this is the set up ... the front barrel is perfect in everyway imaginable im going to play some on second barrel ...I this area and with this carb the second main jet is smaller than first and on the low side with plenty of room to move up im jetting and air flow ... this was just first ride ... I was very pleased and could tell im not going to be having carb issues ... the execution of the weber carb and the stockers is just a joke to me ... I think stockers if totally right would be smoother .. they are design to be that way being cv to begin with ... personally I prefer the weber cause I want full control over the carb not the vacume to have it ...

as too weather this is the set up for stock oldwing motor its hard for me to answer that in the light of how different hooch mod has done to the power zone of the cam ... like huge difference ... ihavnt put it all together yet but will figure out why the stroke change has done this .. but im just going to enjoy hooch right now what perfect timing me and my daughter will go riding and take pics this week end ...

what great move I made here in choosing this carb ... seems I nailed it on first try what a cool ride this is

im going to talk to paul and gary to see if there is way to figure this set up out now on machine ..to get and idea of where its at ....im not sure of all the possibilities that the c5 brings to the table ... the first ride was in the most aggressive mode .... and as far as c5 gose it was flawless ....

That sounds Great Joe!!!!

So are you saying that you did not have to change jets in the 1st stage Bbl, it ran great as it was?

But the second bbl needs a slight amount of re-jet or tuning?

Or is it good the way it is?

Sounds like a torque monster

its seems like it is a move to make to see if its got more up top in the rpm zone ....yes front barrel couldn't be better It seems ...right now everything is set up in the most choked down way with plenty of upper movment to go too.... ive read till im sick on single carb set ups .....I cant beleave how problematic its been for everyone .... the basic and bottom mistakes everyone made seemed obvious to me after looking at what I had to work with .. witch were all the favorite carbs everyone uses I picked the junk one ... in less than 15 minutes of thinking about it ......

ill have to get video of it today I got all the support help........ the video will do better than words :mrgreen:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0dI8TwBp28[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfMjuElU4Qc[/video]

well hooch got dumped on over the night and I mean a good rinsing down this is first star were fixing to go riding me and my daughter Christy

the poping you here is from front right exhaust it leaks a little.... we went riding a100miles plus after this bike slowly is tared getting used to the power hooch has brings a whole new meaning to throttle control ... clutch is absolutely no problem ... kind of completely different than oldwing character

cool a spoted my gas leak ... anyone want to donate the proper hose :smilie_happy:

Very NiCE!!

Sounds good,

Do you notice if it runs out of breath, in the upper revs above 7K rpm?

right now I have it choked down to lowest level west and yes ... but on purpose I set it up this way for starting point ... so I know where I have room to go ....from here I already now I have the system in place and I will ride it for awhile to really get a feel for any more moves

I am sold Joe,

I will be going to single carb Very SOON!!!

I am thinking if I can comfortably go 85mph as my top speed I am fine with it.

Where can you use anything more than 85mph.

And be problem free, or mostly problem free, well how about a big reduction in problems

The way I ride, I like More down low usable torque, any way.

As a matter of fact, I think that same carb you have, his brother is on it's way to my house.

I should have it by next week.

I already have a VW Type IV plenum in the shop, I just picked up some 1.5" ID silicone Fuel Hose, and clamps.

I just bought my throttle cable pull bracket.

Latest posts