hooch getting a new fuel source

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am new here but have been lerking some. WestGL told me about you guys. I have been wanting to do a single carb fix for a long time. I have some progressive Holley/Weber's from Chrysler 2.2's that should work. They are 26mm Primary and 27mm secondary.
Where do you get the VW 4 port plemumn? On Ebay they only come as a kit for $270 and up.

I was going to try using 2 sets of Suzuki Burgman 650's throttle bodys and injectors firing them with a Megasquirt but this mod seems to be working.

hi dave ... glad your here ....this is rather new here ....me personally have followed this the single carb thing for awhile .....seems everybody pics way to big of carb or they pic a single that just cant do the whole rpm range on a oldwing at a good level ....I must say the singles seem better than the progressive two barrels mostly cause people pick way to big carbs ....the carbs you got go to motor twice the size of a oldwing ... the one I got I think comes from pinto ... a 1600 cc motor 100cc bigger each piston on my 1200 mod bike ....my 1200 motor has the larger valve heads and ports ...it also has the early cams in it withch are the most aggressive of stock oldwing parts ... pistons had to have valve relief cutouts done bigger also ......as a base line ..I think the flow on my bike is about as great as an oldwing can get ....to me I figure an oldwing can low 50mm amount of air at full throttle ... your carb come in at 53 id say that pretty close ... my bike is 24 25 ....it appears to me that this set up of 24 in primary runs the bike fantastic.....the icing thing I still think will have to be dealt with .... this has been up to now about choosing right sized carbs so far .... ok im done im not feeling well

DaveJ

I have started a single Carb post, we can discuss it there, this post is for Hooch.
Link to Single Carb post
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6619

Joe says 50mm of venturi Bore size, is what he feels is max.

But if you could mount that carb, on the VW manifold, and disconnect, linkage to secondary, (while keeping secondary closed, should be easy, maybe a spring to hold closed) and only use primary, you may have something that Might work, but you would have to test it.

27mm primary, is close to what some guy's a running with great success.

I almost went to a Single bore 30mm, Solex 30Pict1 with Round bowl, for this a .050 main jet must be used, per the Manifold Manufacturer, to be used on a Goldwing gl1100,
And I may still as I have one in my shop, waiting for testing.

and maybe re-jet it to work?

There are guy's using a single carb with 30mm single bore carb. and a 34mm single bore carb.
They are the,
30Pict1 &
34Pict3
used on Goldwings there are video's of them riding them, and they seem to go pretty good and seem to run really well, but they are using a different manifold.

I might have missed it, but has Joe noticed any changes in the carb popping?
Hooch gave us a few pops at the meet & greet that cool morning, but you still had not dialed in carbs.

Now with a single carb, i wonder how it would improve/worsen a popping. I would also like Hooch to be EGA tested from idle to redline. I'd be willing to help with that when Joe feels better.

(I will be posting on the new thread because i am going fuel injected or Jetski downdraft carb on my GL. Gary and I had a 3 hour phone conversation the other night regarding this issue, but this is the Hooch thread.)

Joe, when you feel better, will you please comment on any changes you might feel or hear when starting your bike cold?

well the difference between stock carbs and and the holley 740 ... the 740 starts easier in all conditions by far ....it is snappier and its also reliable ...my daughter was down over the labor day weekend so we log a lot of miles on it ...300plus ... during that time it ran great low end torque was huge .... but I notice it was burning a lot of gas .... after the labor day weekend I found one of the plug I put in the main gas feed was leaking a little ... had to take carb out to fix ... was also going to go up maybe in jet size .. well the jet I thought would interchange didn't ... so a shevld that for awhile .... decided to ck plugs they were really sooty so reinstalled carb and turned mix screw in ....on the 740 carb you have to remove the plug to adjust mix screw thanks to gov airheads justifying there existent .... this was not easy to do ....I also fine it rather hard to actually fill when the idle screw is seated I think the thread are kinda not smooth and hard to tell ....

I must say the 740 seems to run better the stock carbs but I have to say on hooch stock carbs never did run completely right ... hooch has so much power it was really hard to see that the carbs were failing ...but in all stock racks ...I tried all racks 1000..1100...and 1200 they all did the same thing run out of gas in bowls ... with the 1000s doing the best ....

the 740 is totally capable of supplying gas even in a rich condition ....so in hooches case its obvious to me that the 740 will out do stock carbs big time .....and even though it seems the 740 is small in the single carb flow of what people are using its obvious it has move capacity than stock carbs bigtime ....

so yes paul I would like to have you help see what hooch is doing by way of your machines

people who have done something similar to hooch 1200 1000ized are all having trouble with carberation ... in my view im done with such borderline capacity as stock carbs bring ... and hooch is so far from anything Honda ever produced ... this is totally and upgrade the 740 simplicity and capacity im looking for huge results ....this carb has mega room for more gas capacity in jetting and air ..so im totally confident

That sounds Fantastic Joe,

By what you were saying about not enough fuel with stock carbs. i would be lead to believe, that there was not enough fuel pressure, maybe a fuel pump problem, or tank pickup, fuel line, filter, maybe a hole in the fuel pickup line in the tank, and sucking some air.

Are you running an electric fuel pump?

But, you say it is much better with the 740 and you have dark sootie plugs, slightly too much fuel.

Sounds like once the jet is right, you are going to be making more power!!

NICE!!!

yes I cover the fuel pump and tank thing west it wasn't the problem right now its on a electric fuel pump and clear hose to see whats going on ... no problem in feed at all ...

I am wondering if you saw the video of the guy that pulled the cover off of the GL1200 fuel pump, looked at the contacts under that cover they were badly corroded, his pump was not functioning at 100%.

He cleaned the contacts with a small fine file or sand paper, and it worked much better, according to him.

Just an FYI

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=95290#p95290:28ekrgqm said:
westgl » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:51 am[/url]":28ekrgqm]
I am wondering if you saw the video of the guy that pulled the cover off of the GL1200 fuel pump, looked at the contacts under that cover they were badly corroded, his pump was not functioning at 100%.

He cleaned the contacts with a small fine file or sand paper, and it worked much better, according to him.

Just an FYI

Great idea to check ALL connectors. I just found this by accident on the '77 GL1000 I just purchased. With time and moisture any connection (including power that feeds your ignition) could look like this. I'm going to sound paranoid but I'm beginning to think every connection should be inspected, cleaned, and lubricated with dielectric grease unless you don't mind walking home. Too many times corrosion has caused me grief.

CORROSION ==> INCREASED RESISTANCE ==> HEAT ==> FAILURE

Attachments

• bad connector.jpg
    bad connector.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 122
Yes that is a common ailment on these oldwings,

and should be part of you initial repair/maintenance

Joe,

I have the Jet sizes, they are the stock jets sizes

Here is a picture

Attachments

• Jet Size for Weber 32DFT_Stovebolt.png
    Jet Size for Weber 32DFT_Stovebolt.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 130
In that E book it explains a lot about the 740 & 32DFT carbs.,

They have a High altitude compensation that can be setup on these carb.s to auto-magically compensate to a slightly leaner mixture for high altitude conditions

Good Info ah!

Again thanks to Captain Midnight for providing me this info.