House project....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pics
image.php

Been working on the knee wall ....it was to tall and way out of plumb ....this was quite hard to do ...

image.php

The roof is free standing now again ....entire length of the house

image.php

Not quit done yet but there a leg on each rather now

image.php

Each rather will be doubled and lace screwed and straitened with a sting ....there was many nailed to pull without tearing up wood and huge sections had to be hanging to get things down far enough ....this was by no means easy or safe ...every move had to be just right ...glad this part is done ....

The roof is all 2x6 rafters...the work I did around the fireplace out of treated 2x4s when all put together made a structural beam really tough and all screwed togerther this supports the roqof there ...also have leg coming off the fireplace that on a siccors jack..the one picture shows it if look close at it ...the other end is held up by end wall ....in between the two points there is nothing ...this is where the skill comes in plaplay ...in effect it’s an upside boat gravity pinches the top together ...and the skin holds all pieces ...like it’s all one thing ...there was much work involved in getting things all seamed together good ...truth is ..the way things are done as the way to do it works against this ...I have much work to do ..but when I’m done this upside down boat will not move ever again ...and there will be no supports in the inside ...most of the living areas or rooms will be in the full basement wher it stay more consistent and comfortable ..the upstairs will be a play ground to entertain on a bigger scale tha most places have

Pics ..
image.php

Always start off with huge fire ....as you can see it raging

image.php

Winterizing the house .....this wall will be plywood as finish product...so it was put up best it could done...

[omg]https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/gallery/image.php?album_id=666&image_id=32396[/img]

image.php

Still have to finish around top of wall...you can also see how I have things fixed in position

Pics
[omg]https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/gallery/image.php?album_id=666&image_id=32396[/img]
The plywood covers the knee wall above the 8ft wall

image.php

Sliding glass door opening covered up and 32”door put in as temporary winterizing

image.php

Hooch in all the mess ...

Pics
image.php

I’ve got a doubled 2x4 temporary post holding roof where I want it

image.php

Lots of blocking around rafters to do ...big part been done all the nails have been pulled.

image.php

What blocking will look like around the rafters ...this will all be finish product..

No ..to me insulation is a homes number one health hazard to people ....the house will be sealed up tight ...this by far beats insulation ...as most homes today leak horribly to outside air ....the outside of the house is covered with wood looking metal siding ..and behind that is that black cellotex board that is strait up abestos in the worse from ever manufacture ....abestos glue and tar mixed into sheets like plywood ...this will all be replaced from the outside later on in project ....acttually a tight air space beats insulation by leaps and bounds ...but I’m probably not going that way either ....best insulation is the foam ....it seals tight and is structural advantage when done ...if the ceiling get insulation it will be on top of the singles ...the inside rafters and plywood will be showing ...

Pics..
image.php

Ok the last major hole was covered today ...the added roof is deck in now ...now the winterizing is just blocking in around rafters and sealing things up

image.php

Also been dialing in fireplace and basement stove today ...the place to do this in my opinion is at the top of the chimney...

image.php

This pic shows fireplace burning good a bit past it prime of fresh wood ...air is dial in so good no smoke enters house ...doors open ..it’s throwing heat out strong for at least 8ft ..making quite the heat exchange

image.php

Here is the basement stove burning good too ..dialed in nice ...door open ..smoke all going to flue pipe ....

It was cold today ...pond was frozen over this morning and still froze when I left today ...once the house is all sealed up ...there will be no problem keeping it warm with wood heat ..I was overly amazed how well it’s working ...and there’s more heat grabbing to get when all things are done to fireplace and wood stove

Looking good Joe !! Nothing like good wood heat, goes clear to the bone. We have a farmhouse built in 1920 that has no insulation in the walls, heck there's not even any 2x4 studs in the walls. Walls are made up of full 2x10 to 16 in wide rough lumber with outside layer running vertical and inside layer running horizontal. House is solid as a rock. We added six inch insulation in attic and decked the attic. Never saw that kind of construction before. It found out later it was common in that area and over around the boot hill of Missouri. Has a two sided chimney right on middle of house.

Well done Joe, you should be proud. If you could get the walls sealed up air-tight, in not-too-big pockets, that would be as good as most modern insulation jobs. In my research thus my opinion, the roof is more important than the walls. Anything you can do to increase the number of layers and the thickness of those layers will add heat-saving effect.
You mentioned foam in the ceiling...it is my understanding that foam sprayed directly on the underside of the roof deck can be the best first layer And protect the decking from heat-strain in the hot summer. Too bad it is so _______ expensive to install.

p.s. still looking for a 1200 motor.

Well things have made huge leaps since last pics ....I’ve about got everything seal up now ...getting close to just using some drywall mud to fill in cracks ...there was a lot of cutting going on around the rafters to fill them in ...all this work will show when done so fit had to be good ...for sealing up purpose and looks .....today I actually sweated some when I was working around fireplace ....wind was blowing rather Swift outside but the house is 95% sealed I’d say now ....no problem working inside at all today

Kerry you mention roof insulating and yes foam is expensive ...the roof on this house is singles now ..later there going to be metal roof on top of that separated with an air gap ...this will go long way in fighting off heat and cold getting into the house ....

Oh and yes I’m still needing a 1200 motor Kerry ..I’ve been trying to call about one ..but I’m hardly around a phone ..and I think it’s gone now ...I’m so poor right now working on the house ..I have not much buying power or extra to have phone around ...things are looking up ...well there only way to look from the bottom of the barrel lol....nice parts bike in ad and not that far from me but I’m sure I can’t swing that now ....maybe someday a motor will come my way .....

But the house is going great ....and the winter time weather has been dealt with... :builder: