long time follower/lurker 1st post

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks slabghost yes its a '78 shelter on '86 1200. mod was surprisingly easy for an alternative to the shelter incorporated in original fairing. mounting was fun, finding room for all that wiring ---- not so much!

Looks like maybe just 1500 brake covers on a closer look, :doh: eyes ain't they used to be, :hihihi: didn't see the extension till mentioned. :nea:

Welcome to the forums from Washington State! I know the C5 I installed on my 1000 would not fit inside the stock housing, so unless Paul has an older one left I think the new housing is it.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

very cool test stand purple gl1200, yea that's what im talking about. is that yours? the size of that radiator should let it idle all day w/out fan coming on.

so i have some updates to relay i picked up a pair of 1200 long blocks i feel are prime candidates for hoochafacation. this week end dident have much time but i made some progress i think. my first attempt at valve relief cuts. i was looking for anybody that might have an idea how deep cuts should be roughly into piston tops. i measured factory 1200 intake reliefs at .24 ths using the depth portion of my vernier calipers. i inked the piston head and let the intake valve kiss the ink to mark a shinny spot to be ground clear till i had an average depth of.50 ths i think.

Attachments

• DSCF1485.JPG
    DSCF1485.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 278
  • DSCF1486.JPG
    DSCF1486.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 278
Nice work, seems sometime ago I remember someone using a valve with a cutting surface on the face(carbide maybe), they bolted the head on the cylinder then used a drill tightened on the stem and a mark on the stem shaft to measure the cut.
By the way welcome to the forum if I didn't say before.

The depth you've chosen should be very sufficient. I the Hooch build it was more about enlarging the relief than in going deeper. With the head just snugly in place use the valve setting for that head from the manual and turn the motor over by hand to see if any contact is made. Then go back to setting the exhaust valve position. See how much further you can tighten the exhaust valve before contact is made.

Yes as slab said ....i never used clay on hooch..with the solid rocker heads its easy to find clearance you have.....looks like you used grinder on cutouts .....seems plenty deep is say.....intake valve was all I did. On hooch....touch is everything with aggressive tools like a grinder.....

I hear ya joe there is fineness involved where the grinder is concerned. like having the discipline to put down the paint brush and stepping away and calling it art. Ill check the tolerances assembled as you and slab suggested and let er fly if there is no interference I know my relief cuts are a bit overkill but ill try to be a bit more conservative on the next build. Tonight when I get home from work ill put new belts on check it out, then torque every body down and get ready to swap it out with tired engine in my 1200 .thanks all for your support, interest and replies. As a side question for any moderator should I start a new thread for my build as there are more mods to follow or just continue from here ?

Well im the guy with no budget lol......thismod is mostly stock parts put together in a way better than Honda did.....just did trip with mine....got 45mpg on interstate run of mostly 70 80mph .....biggest deal as I see it is ...stock carbs don't work good on it......and it seems the dft weber carb or clone of one needs to be used.....I bit of bugger to get right... im working on it daily to get the idle smoother....and will get it....im to close to perfect to be much but a simple mod....this is the forum that goers where others don't....