My build (another one)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suspension is a very big need over the stock set up on both ends, to me! :whistling: However, could never bring myself to invest the necessary funds, for a BIG NAME upgrade. :nea: Have found that Progressive makes a very pleasing upgrade to the suspensions of ALL of my bikes, both front & rear! :yes: Ohlin's & other well known after market mfg's, may well make a better product. :eek:k: But after looking at several of them, at industry trade shows, the price of rebuild kits, that weren't very different from the Progressives other than price, & maybe the size of seals. Passed on the pricey ones, :headscratch: have since found the Progressives parts, will fit into stock Honda cans, & save about half the cost. :good:

Tomorrow's another day. :yes: Progressives are the least expensive decent, after market suspension that i know of. :salute:

Okay girls and boys of the CGW club, this is a first for me, so I got out an Air brush to do my ghosting on the false tank covers. You have maybe seen the pictures of the panels that are awaiting the top clear coats, the first clear will have a black cherry concentrate add to it to give what I hope will be the black cherry paint. What a palaver to do, first I had to wait for some stuff called frisket, although so called low tack, I haven't used it before so it was an unknown quantity. So to reduce the possibility of failure by allowing the panels to dry, about a week now.

So decided where to place the "ghost" logo. put the frisket on the paintwork and used masking tape to a) tape the logo to the frisket and b) cover off the possible over spray area. So this has only been done on one side just in case I had to rub it all down and start over. But I think it will look okay. The idea is the my first coat of top coat clear will have the Black Cherry concentrate in the mix, so when it goes over the area that has been painted tonight will be just that bit darker and should show up in sun light. See what you think... and yes I am looking for praise as I am an egotistical ass at the best of times. but this time I am proud. We all learn a new talent every day. to day this was mine. The photo isn't the best but it is under flash and not daylight. So click on them to get a bigger picture.

ghost1.jpg

gohst2.jpg

Looks real nice from what I can see. Why did you put that so low on the panel? Are you planning something just above it? Might take some bright light to see it once the final paint is applied.

Tanks guys, V, there are two holes that I didn't fill in when I had the chance, so I have two new gold Honda badges to go in there as normal. So I am thinking, just thinking mind that I may paint in some pin striping, not like the original transfers but real pin strips under the clear coat. So that's why they are below the normal Honda badge. The smaller side panels have three holes but I'l be damned if I can find what clearly goes in there. I was thinking of a pair of eagles. but I have something else that I might use yet, I got them of the E bay a while back so in the morning I will take a photo of the new eagle heads and see what you guys think.
Ok So good night to you all.have a good night and stay safe all.

So I did the other side today came out real good. So now just waiting till it also goes hard, then I will give it a quick go over with some 1000 grit W&D and then I get down to the clear. I have just ordered the smaller side panel badges, mine are the 3d plastic type but they are fubarb, on the two long panels the long gold Honda badges get fitted just over the top of the ghost logo.

Anyways I hope it all comes out.

Disaster, well not all that bad but wasted a lot of time. Still learn something every day, So the ghost images looked okay, so I shoot some clear with a Black cherry concentrate in it. Goes on like a dream for an outside spray. But the ghost image got lost in the clear, so it isn't dark enough. So I decide to rub it down and see what is salvageable, as soon as I start sanding (wet sanding) I get to see the ghost image again, great I think, until I start to see small bits of the Frisket under the top coat, so I have to rub it down so far to get the plastic out I have lost half of the ghost image.

So I will rub down the other panels and re shoot some candy black over it again. But this time when I do the ghost image logo I will use some Pearl in with the logo paint. Ah well got the next six months to sort that out as it is now getting too cold to do it out side.

So I decided to start work on finishing the small 10 x 8 workshop in the garden. So I wired her up day before yesterday, I now have about 12 double sockets around three sides fitted and wired, two strip lights in the roof. I have a movable gas heater in there so I don't get too cold while working. So now other than a few small things I will be doing my wood turning getting some Christmas presents made.

Okay a quick update so I will have to re do the log's, so I have spent about 3 hours on each side to get down to the honda logo I put on. So I will have to wet sand the two smaller panels and float another coat of Black to get the colour even again, when that has been done I will try out another type of cherry black that I have bought. So as soon as the black has gone on, i will again mask it up for the ghosting. Only this time instead of doing the logo directly over the black, I will use a sliver as a think layer on the logo, this should raise the logo out of the black background quite a bit, then he first coat or two of the cherry black in the top coat clear should make it pop in the sunlight. This is the first time I have ever done this So it is a bit of a learning curve.

So once I get the workshop sorted out I will mask off the area I will use as my spraying area, and give it another shot.
Have a good weekend boys as i won't be back on here before this weekend anyway. :thanks: :ahem:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=162045#p162045:21sp4j7o said:
slabghost » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:14 pm[/url]":21sp4j7o]
Might want to do your experimenting on an old pie pan or something to reduce labor.

Yes sounds a good idea, problem with a small paint job like this is always the quantity of paint. Enough paint for the logo on each side, say 4 coats is an airbrush full, on each side. So it is always a experiment, the guys that have 5 years experience and make Vids have been doing it in their sleep almost. Anyway keeps me off the streets at night, :rocks: So coming up for thanksgiving in the states isn't it? My wife and I have just started to redecorate the living room in time for Xmas, so even though it is cold out side got plenty to do.

Today 30th got my fork tubes back, they look so good, not a scratch on them, ground the chrome off, re chromed + size and ground down to size. They look perfect. Will provide a photo in the morning. :mrgreen:

That will take a bit of time yet, but what I will do is get the carbs out of storage and fit them well one of them to the Randakk's manifolds that have been chromed. and post a picture. so it will give you an idea how it will look.

Ian :salute:

So been a while on this thread, Christmas, New year and it is too cold on my old bones, but we are heading in the right direction. So what has been done bought over the last few months.

So I have bought a pair of Chromed time case covers. I thought about chroming mine but was told don't do it as the aluminium was not good enough to chrome.

Chrome.JPG

I had them sent to my sister in Canton SD will collect in May.

I posted a question on here about brakes, and got a bit side tracked on the crush springs that go around the top and bottom hoses. No longer available so search like hell. I was pointed to a pair on Ebay, (https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-HONDA-GL11 ... ov&vxp=mtr) thanks to that man, but after careful thought they look reasonable but not perfect, so I took mine off to the Chrome Plater near me, and he did mine for £20.00. Got them back today.

See. Oh the pipes well over here forget it, so I got a pair of Silicon pipes, they are reinforced and the angles are right just need trimming to length.

Water hose Springs 2.jpg

And the springs on their own.

Water hose Springs 1.jpg