My build (another one)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished going through your build and I'm impressed with you skills, and your patience, especially since this has been going on for over two years. I have not seen a post about the condition of the motor and heads. You have written about making it pretty but nothing about the mechanical part. Have you started i the heads as yet? If the cases have to be split I am afraid that the pretty will get damaged in the process. And if they have to be split then it seems that it would be easier to paint / polish then. Considering the shape of the bike in the beginning, and the motor being stuck, I'll bet that the rings will need to be replaced. I know that sometimes they free up, and there is honing to be considered and all that. But it does give you a chance to look at bearings and such. Just my thoughts. BTW, I love the cream frame and black cherry body parts scheme. Very bold.

I am just starting on this forum and love the refurbishing stories as many forums I have been involved in do not dedicate an area for them; and yours is a good one. Hope your wife is okay. As for the former wife, there is nothing colder than the heart of an ex.

One other thing. I love watching Wheeler Dealers on the Velocity channel here in the States. Love Edd. Are they popular over there?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=167971#p167971:24xx9g39 said:
wedoo2 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:48 pm[/url]":24xx9g39]
I just finished going through your build and I'm impressed with you skills, and your patience, especially since this has been going on for over two years. I have not seen a post about the condition of the motor and heads. You have written about making it pretty but nothing about the mechanical part. Have you started i the heads as yet? If the cases have to be split I am afraid that the pretty will get damaged in the process. And if they have to be split then it seems that it would be easier to paint / polish then. Considering the shape of the bike in the beginning, and the motor being stuck, I'll bet that the rings will need to be replaced. I know that sometimes they free up, and there is honing to be considered and all that. But it does give you a chance to look at bearings and such. Just my thoughts. BTW, I love the cream frame and black cherry body parts scheme. Very bold.

I am just starting on this forum and love the refurbishing stories as many forums I have been involved in do not dedicate an area for them; and yours is a good one. Hope your wife is okay. As for the former wife, there is nothing colder than the heart of an ex.

Thanks for that and welcome to the club, okay so I bought my bike must be about 1992 used in Holland where I lived, I used it for some months until the starter motor went south for ever. I jump started for a while but she was dressed fully and bloody heavy to push, not many hills in Holland. Any way she got put away with the promise I was going to rebuild her next , then next year and then nothing. 2004 my wife and I came back to my home country the UK. a few years back 2014 I think I went back to our house we still have in Holland and brought her back to the uk. For the first year I didn't do a lot. Anyway I decided that if I was ever going to do it it had to be now. So I started to strip her out every nut and bolt had to fought with to get off, many broke. But the frame was quite rusty in major areas and to import her into the UK I would have to have a safety test here called an MOT. So I bought an English frame that was in good condition, that is my start point as I don't have to import anything now, the frame is already registered.

My lock up garage has no electricity and is by American standards about big enough to keep a dog in, so room is at a premium. So I started by getting everything off the old frame. My biggest problem is am am somewhat disabled so lifting isn't one of my fortes. So I managed to get the engine out onto a small bike jack (bed) on my bike lift. I use an electric winch to do the lifting (I have a generator) so I am at the point where all the ancillaries are almost ready. Most of the polishing and chroming and painting is done except the engine. So here is the plan, when it gets a bit warmer, I will be blasting the engine with advice from my friends on here Soda, I now have a 25Kg Bag of Soda for blasting. I need to take my compressor from the house to the lock up, and then I can blast the crap off the engine. Being soda hey what gets left on the ground will dissolve in the first rain, but I will have a clean engine to work on.

She was running when I covered her up, doesn't mean much I know, but when I drained the oil I could clearly make out the bottom of the catch can, it was that clean, so either all the carp has settled inside the crank case which is quite possible or I might be lucky. I can turn the engine over with my hands (the timing belts have been removed) so I know she turns over with too much resistance. So the idea is clean of the crud, take of the spare pair of cylinder head covers and heads to get a good look at the top end for any damage or corrosion. That's when I take off the Cylinder heads, so now I will get a good look inside. I have a complete gasket set here at home I know I will have to swap out all the head side gaskets.

I know that the last time I used her on the road, she was good right up to about 140 KPH (86 MPH) and she still had more to give, no knocks or engine rattles except the fairly normal crunch of gears when she goes into first, well I say fairly normal I have heard quite a few GL's going in to 1st and they all have that same crunch. So some of the things I have been collecting (I am also a pensioner so we don't have deep pockets) have to be done as and when I can afford them. Externally she is ready for the engine etc, but this next 4-5 months will be the engine. I have a complete new set of clutch plates and I want to solve the problem of that special plate that has a tendency to disintegrate. I have been informed that swapping it out for a normal steel plate is the way to go. there is a thread on it on here in the history somewhere. So I have to agree with you that it is a bit disjointed and maybe for some the wrong way round of doing things, but I try to not pay silly money out on something I can do just as well myself. EG the two badges, a guy in the States wants over a hundred UK pounds for a pair of NOS. so I have refurbished mine in my own way, for 10 cents worth of paint and a few hours work. I still have the £99,80 to spend on something else that I need.

So as each month goes by I buy something I need for my bike, and when I come to the States in May my (new found) sister has waiting at her home some parts that have been sent to her so I can either send them home from there or bring then back in my/our cases.

I am waiting on two new front discs from Wingovations here in the UK, every thing on this bike has pretty much been replaced rebuilt by me, polished, painted, welded and when it comes to the engine, that's the easy bit for me, I have rebuilt so many engines in my time I have lost count, the hard bit was learning to weld properly, spray paint, fixing the forks, all this is done, all the re-chroming is done. So to put many friends minds at rest, it is now coming down to the finish line I hope that that line will be this year, but hey if not then that in the long term is okay. I will eventually have a bike that when I go to our local bikers cafe here in Wets Yorkshire I am sure there will be many questions, and I hope a great looking bike for them to look at.

One of the bikes that really is to blame for the kick off is one of the most respected contributors on here. Just check out his two bikes, Condor and Ol Sparkey.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=167925#p167925:2k270z9y said:
slabghost » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:04 am[/url]":2k270z9y]
Excellent work!

Thanks V that is a complement. With you mainstay members it would be a lot harder to keep going, so now it is all your fault all those that keep me going on this. I missed out a bit in my last reply, and that is she wasn't smoking when she came off the road, so I will also be taking the cylinders off too, I will probably even get some new rings for her she deserves it. I aint sure about the ignition though, with the two 40 IDF down draughts that I will be fitting to her, should I go electronic. I would expect Joe to say yes but it will be a first for me on a bike then to step away from the old and trusted points?

Until the C5 I saw no real difference between points and electronic ignition. The effect was the same and the points were more adjustable. I've bought two so far.

This is mostly for weedoo2, These may be parts that you haven't seen before. please bear in mind that these have been polish or chromed just last November, so until today they haven't been outside the bubble wrap and are in dire need of a polish. I use Belgom Alu polish, it isn't as aggressive as auto sol and when buffed gives a better shine, so I have used b a bit to just quickly clean it up.

Some of items are polished and some are Chromed. But you can now maybe appreciate that since I started out doing this last summer, I have probably spent about a £1000.00 to date just getting stuff done that I can't do. My fork tubes for instance I have had the chrome on the fork stanchions removed then re chromed to a few thou over sized and then reground to factory spec size. That alone is £100.00 for the pair.The chroming and some pro polishing I have had done too, the chrome bits, fork bottoms and the rocker covers with the blue badges were done by a pro machine, my stupid little 8" 350 watt polisher can do so much but I just cant get the Finnish that a machine that is floor standing and a 5 HP motor can deliver. the water pipes have just been blasted they have a horrible stuff on them that I just couldn't get off by polishing so blasted. I haven't as yet done anything on them as yet because I haven't decided on an engine colour, but that will come later when the engine has been either rebuilt or ready to go into the frame.

My next priority it the harness. My harness that was on the bike looked like a rat had gone though the loom (it was dressed) so extra wires were every where. Solution, get a used loom of e bay and use that as my pattern to make a new one. I found a good supplier of auto and bike orientated sizes and colours, he can and has supplied me with a lot of the connectors I will need. So I am going to strip out the donor harness and mount it onto a long board in my out door workshop. Then it is just a matter of duplicate the wires and keep to Honda's wiring colours.

So have a nice day guy's as today I am so tired it is difficult to do anything, I might be low as I am a diabetic and I don't feel so good.

pol bits 1.jpg

pol bits 2.jpg

pol bits 3.jpg

pol bits 4.jpg

pol bits 5.jpg

pol bits 6.jpg

pol bits 7.jpg

pol bits 8.jpg

pol bits 9.jpg

pol bits 10.jpg

Okay so I can't add any more to this post so I will continue on in the next keep going.

Wow! There was never a new GL1000 on the show room floor that looked as nice as that one will when you are finished. One day maybe I'll try your path but for now I've too many projects to catch up let alone get that picky about.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=168081#p168081:3u68l1t8 said:
Denver » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:19 pm[/url]":3u68l1t8]
Can only imagine that level of patience!! :roll: :smilie_happy:

Old age dude old age, patience is a virtue, or too much pain today...where is my Ibruphen.
:hihihi: :hihihi: :hihihi:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=168091#p168091:16ya0twp said:
slabghost » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:33 pm[/url]":16ya0twp]
Wow! There was never a new GL1000 on the show room floor that looked as nice as that one will when you are finished. One day maybe I'll try your path but for now I've too many projects to catch up let alone get that picky about.

Thanks V, appreciate it, The same goes for you Jo and Dan, you have no idea how much you have kept me doing this you guys always seem to come out with the right thing just at the right time. So as I am also trying to finish off the living room, been decorating since before Christmas, goes quick in my house, :yes: sometimes every day is an up hill struggle, but I will get there. :salute:

I never did really finish the repainting of house inside last time and it's already (8 years later) due again. Shh wife hasn't started on about that yet.

Thats some serious polishing work there Ian. I am only just starting to work on learning the polishing. I start with the red stuff, then the green stuff, and finish off with the white stuff. Finally will get a hand rub coat of Mothers.

Can you share with us your methods for polishing all that, besides the patients....

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=168182#p168182:zbuj7kh7 said:
bronko37 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:37 pm[/url]":zbuj7kh7]
Thats some serious polishing work there Ian. I am only just starting to work on learning the polishing. I start with the red stuff, then the green stuff, and finish off with the white stuff. Finally will get a hand rub coat of Mothers.

Can you share with us your methods for polishing all that, besides the patients....

I think if you go to page 12 or 13 there is a small video I made and posted. It is just time and hard work, but unless you have a 3 phse polishing machine with about 4 HP you can't get it as polished as a pro. polish as far as you can, then take the big stuff and pay for it to be done. It shouldn't cost you the same if you brought it all to them to start with. Good luck