Opinions - 2004 Volvo S60

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dealer did say that he did not do anything to the car because he did not want to invest anything in the vehicle knowing that stick shift cars were hard to get rid of there. He ended up with the car because he had sold it the same car to the last owner 3,5 years before and the guy traded it in on a larger vehicle. He does have some nicer, lower mileage cars, but much higher price. He might be willing to work with me. I am still debating the rumble in the tires as just bad tires or wheel bearings. Plus, I want my daughter to comfortable driving stick. It will still be a challenge with the quiet engine.

What engine is it, Gerry?
Volvus are good vehicles, for the most part, but if not well taken care of, they can cost a bundle to repair. Bad tires, and rumbling noises? I'd suspect a suspension issue that had worn the hub bearings....perhaps just a bad alignment. It doesn't have the little yellow/orange "shift" arrow light on the tach face to show when to shift? It should...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182505#p182505:1xuyjej4 said:
AApple » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:45 am[/url]":1xuyjej4]
What engine is it, Gerry?
Volvus are good vehicles, for the most part, but if not well taken care of, they can cost a bundle to repair. Bad tires, and rumbling noises? I'd suspect a suspension issue that had worn the hub bearings....perhaps just a bad alignment. It doesn't have the little yellow/orange "shift" arrow light on the tach face to show when to shift? It should...
It is the 2.4 non turbo. I didn't know about the shift arrows and did not look. I also suspect suspension or wheel hubs. All of that could also be pointing to other worn out areas that I am not looking at.

My daughter is really leaning towards automatics even though she likes the car. The jury is still out, but the odds are stacking against it at this point.

We chose not to go for this car. :thank_you:

However, I came across a 2002 S60 while heading home. It is an automatic and only 113K miles rather than 136K. It is in very good shape and drives smooth. Price? Dealer is taking $2600 for it! :yahoo:

My daughter gets an automatic, we get the comfort of knowing all of the safety items are built into the car and our pocketbook isn't broken in the process. I am happy all around! :yes:

Thanks for all the help! :thanks:

:good: Kewl!
If you haven't already bought it, ask them if the valve body on the trans has ever been replaced. If they don't know, be prepared to have it done. That's the #1 issue with the trans, and I can guarantee you it will need it done eventually. Not too terribly expensive, but not super cheap either. IF/WHEN the car has ANY trans issues, just go ahead and plan on replacing the valve body....don't even discuss it, just do it. I've fixed prolly 90% of them with just replacing the VB in the car. Other than that, the trans is usually trouble free. :good:

Picked up the '02 Volvo today. Rides like a dream and has quite a bit of power for a 5 cylinder engine. My daughter is thrilled!! Thanks again for all of your inputs!! :thanks:

image.php

:shock: Tonight my daughter was heading down a dark farm road and had a deer jump out in front of her on a sweeping curve. She turned to avoid and sent the Volvo spinning to the right and slid off the road, bounced it off a tree, spun again and backed into the woods! :shock:

She is fine! The deer got missed, but the car took a hit just forward of the drivers door when she bounced off a tree. So far, it looks like a broken mirror, driver side front quarter panel and a tail light. I am going to the impound yard in the morning to inspect and hopefully get the car back. It looked like mostly mud and leaves in the wheels (been raining around here.)

I thank God she is OK and only shaken up. The Police Officer lit up the path the car slid through the mud and, just a little past the skid marks right at the street is a telephone pole the car missed! :shock: :clapping:

Latest posts