Proper Course of Action for leaking head gasket?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Idk what my course of action is now. Obviously I have to seal up that front part but what about the heads? It is very possible that whatever sealer was used to try to seal this front coolant port as it looks like it was leaking out at one time.

If I pull the heads I have to have them cut and at that point may as well lap the valves and replace the seals.

Or I can take my chances on this other 1100 engine that I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the pixs you posted of 'blue devil' in the autos, I'd tend to question any temp readings or other functions. That stuff looks like a jelly and could coat and clog passages etc. If it was me I'd be trying to remove that material completely! But since I'm not familiar with it, ???????

With the tests you have done ...I'd say the heads valves and all are in good shape ...if it was me I'd pull the heads so I knew for sure ....there are easy ways to see if heads are in good shape....I guess that goo crap just really had me going ....what a mess that crap makes ...as Dan said you can clean it all out with heads off.....

julimike54":3vaid3uf said:
With the pixs you posted of 'blue devil' in the autos, I'd tend to question any temp readings or other functions. That stuff looks like a jelly and could coat and clog passages etc. If it was me I'd be trying to remove that material completely! But since I'm not familiar with it, ???????

Yeah, pray that you never have to. Like I said in the automotive industry for which I work, it is pretty common. People come in "ah I poured some sealer into it" my response is "I hope you're ready to spend some money, because the money you tried to save is going to come back to haunt you double time".

joedrum":1f6hkpxf said:
With the tests you have done ...I'd say the heads valves and all are in good shape ...if it was me I'd pull the heads so I knew for sure ....there are easy ways to see if heads are in good shape....I guess that goo crap just really had me going ....what a mess that crap makes ...as Dan said you can clean it all out with heads off.....
i ordered both gasket kits and two gates timing belts. This sucks ass, I just want to ride.

Could swap motors and ride while you get this one "right". Might add a day or two to the entire job but you'll know the condition of both motors.

slabghost":3anfw2as said:
Could swap motors and ride while you get this one "right". Might add a day or two to the entire job but you'll know the condition of both motors.

Yeah that's very true. Couldn't hurt.

slabghost":2nv4ht9t said:

The biggest worry I have is swapping only to find out that this motor is even more of a hunk of junk.

If it is "junk" which is unlikely but possible. You'll want to do a complete rebuild on it it or scavenge parts you may need and scrap it. Why keep it as a big door stop? Maybe it's just me but I'd want to know if it's a spare or a door stop.

slabghost":23mj4658 said:
If it is "junk" which is unlikely but possible. You'll want to do a complete rebuild on it it or scavenge parts you may need and scrap it. Why keep it as a big door stop? Maybe it's just me but I'd want to know if it's a spare or a door stop.

Lol no you're absolutely right.

Saber gasket will do fine ...the biggest problem is it seems with all non Honda head gaskets is one of the head bolt on the top part of gaskets needs open up some with a hole punch of filed to fit ...must be some kind of law that keeps then from cutting like Honda gaskets are cut ...decades and no one has ever cut them right ...as far as quality goes Honda gaskets are no better than anyone else's gaskets ...there all made the same .....just be carful cutting and fitting the gasket ...you can damage them easy ...so just don't do that and the gaskets will work and are as good as Hondas gaskets

There is also the the oil office tube and o rings deal,on each head ....lots of time these are fine but there two o rings there to deal with...als there is a 10 mm bolt at the very bottom that has to come out along with the heads bolt make sure you get this bolt out ....or you might break the head while trying to take the head off while bolt is still in there ....

joedrum":oaichv09 said:
There is also the the oil office tube and o rings deal,on each head ....lots of time these are fine but there two o rings there to deal with...als there is a 10 mm bolt at the very bottom that has to come out along with the heads bolt make sure you get this bolt out ....or you might break the head while trying to take the head off while bolt is still in there ....

Thanks joe! Yeah I think I'm just going to do all the gaskets because by the time I get a waterpump, seal up the front on the other engine and swap them, I could have this one done.

Did you have a machine shop plane your heads?

No ...these are very small and short heads ...I check them with a strai edge ...most are always flat ...sometimes or most times I may file then a bit ...I don't push this with others as my hands are very smart hands and I'm like a CNC machine or better....these heads are thin and shouldn't be milled on in my option unless there really warped ...the gaskets are very forgiving gaskets ...I call them goo gaskets ...there worse enemy is heat...I always think it's best to have cooling system up to par with good termo switch and also a manual switch put in to turn on continuous running in stop and traffic...to keep motor from getting to hot ...this is where the head gaskets blow a lot...and when they don't the gasket degrade over time and then blow

If ya'all don't mind me jumpin' right in!

Oil in the coolant = water pump seals.

Coolant in the oil = head gasket.

It's all to do with the pressure differentials in the places that one can leak into the other.

Me, I'd fix the water pump first.

And, a little thrust play (front to back) is okay in a good water pump.

Side to side is not, under any circumstances.

There's my 10 cents.

chilidawg":1i3dm5lk said:

It's all to do with the pressure differentials in the places that one can leak into the other.

There's my 10 cents.

Makes sense to me. The waterpump on the current engine has no play. The waterpump on the backup engine is sloppy as can be.

I think that's what I'm going to do, fix the front seal first.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193336#p193336:1omrimz8 said:
chilidawg » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:57 am[/url]":1omrimz8]

There's my 10 cents.
+1 on the water pump first :yes: