shock treatment

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pic :BigGrin:
image.php

ok front wired up ...moving on

I can't tell if your rr is mounted to a plate/ heat sink Joe. You may want an additional way to dissipate all that heat if it is not mounted atm. :yes:

hmmm its where the rectifier was on ...regulator was mounted under shelter so id say it about the same ...good point though ...ill stay with this shorter wiring deal first.... like it is....thanks for bringing it up tony.... :builder:

I've been thinkin on the reasoning for drilling the hole in the thermostat and I come up blank.
All of the engines I've run in mine including now the 1200, run cool or mid gauge around town slow riding with stop and go when it's 100-105 outside.
When temp gets to 3/4 scale, fan comes on then cools down as it should.
I see nothing wrong with the system as it's designed.
Seems to me if you're having to get more flow to keep temps down then something else may not be working as it should, like not good flow through the radiator. I mean flow through a radiator can appear okay when flushing through it, but it may not be flowing through all the tubes so heat is removed fast enough as it should.
Maybe by drilling the hole you'll find a "sweet spot" for say, summer riding in 90+ temps but then in cooler weather it won't be a sweet spot anymore, too cool. That is why a thermostat does what it does, to control the temp in all weather.
On the flip side, if flow is too fast through the radiator then there isn't enough time for the radiator to cool the water. I have tried mine without a thermostat which makes temps run noticeably higher.

with heat shield gone ...and basicly naked my bike completely different than yours ....this is also a test ...and yes ..i know the bike well and this is an attempt to raise temps a speed just a bit and lower them at slow speed ..by adjusting water time in radiator with restrictor plate size...yes you could have winter and summer restrictor plates ...that one of the big things on table right now its hot..... hole like 3/8" might get hot at speed im going to what it ...bike is ready to test now ...getting ready to do just that now :mrgreen:

Well my heat shield has been gone for a long time, running single carb too.
It's not all that different than yours.
I'm just saying I have chased heating issues and running erratic temps in cars. Went after the tstat but every time turned out to be something else causing the problem.

pic :BigGrin:
image.php

ok small test ride in ..dan this is more an experiment than a problem ..i had no heating issues at all ...there wasnt one good reason to do this than i am curious how this will work ..

ride wasnt real long just a shake down run to listen to things after all the work ...at first i was thinking my swing arm wasn't tracking good ...but i think its fine ....when i got to the hiway i took it up to 70mph seems my tack was i bit short of 3500rpm....seems a good 600 rpm lower than the 1100 final drive set up and tire...tested the new to me spring mod ... seems great ..its stiffer yet when brakes applied it has cushion to it ..very glad i took the time to do that mod ...i didnt want to i was pretty beat up from the other work i have done ....its 98degrees here right now ...

as far as how hooch ran ...flawless it seemed ...lots of pep in this heat ... seemed not to effect it at all ....the driveway test was ridiculous ..hooch went right up at idle even with the tall gearing ..spitting gravel like always ..maybe more from the gearing change...

going to look bike over again...wait for it to cool...then go for well deserved ride .... :builder: :thanks:

didnt do much v ..this was to figure out if i didnt do something ...so no pushing yet ...part of my memory process :hihihi: but i did fly over the the up and downs and the bike was like one piece feeling instead of ass over front before ...firm like.... i can tell for sure its not too firm ... :good:

well been on nice long ride so far restrictor plate hole deal instead of thermostat is doing great ...bike is actually fanless i am waiting for the pusher fan to arrive ...not much traffic around me so i can get away with that rather easy ....going to ride a lot today if i can ...so far things are looking and riding great....the bike is geared with any of the road bikes out there ..and has tons of torque along with it ...it is a diet road monster....feels very stable...and handles well with the spring and darkside mods done to it....now in sweeping corners when power is applied ...its not thrown off coruse from xzagerated sloppy springs that distorts road feel ..great to have the feel of the road under control now...the charging issue seems solved ...the used 1000 stator jpwinger sent me is performing great so far....the mods done to this bike under the charging issue rehab ..are just as big as the motor mods were ...the bike seems up to par to handle the motor now ..gives a very ridable feeling to it all .... :thanks:

I don't see how it really would matter much. That oil will be splashed around in there anyway. I never heard that spinning magnets created any heat so cooling isn't likely an issue. The only possible issue may be a drop in oil pressure. The passage is likely pretty small so if there is a drop it won't be much.

i know all about that oil deal ..many beleave its the oil system that gave the 1200 stators there bad failure rate... though the staor bolt hole is big the passage is not that goes there ...so there little if any pressure drop ...what was clear is this bolt was very short ..hooch revvs fast and loosen this bolt ..it wont happen again ..if there was going to be problem it would have shown up by now ive gone over 500miles the last couple days ..

Latest posts