shock treatment

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It should still get the windings wet. And looking at some other pics, the oil should get back to the case easy enough. Others have commented elsewhere that it isn't enough oil to help. I wondered about opening the holes larger. Anyways, if does go south, you have the backup plan already in place.

i was concern a bit ..always am when i do something off track from design...but ive done it a lot in my life..and one thing is for sure design dosnt mean best way ....with all the miles ive done in the last couple days it dosnt seem to be a factor ... i am also very impressed with the restrictor plate ..to replace the thermosat though it seemed the hole was rather small it has proved to actually run cooler than ever before experienced by me in various set ups ive tried before ...its been in the upper 90s here :mrgreen:

ok did road trip with used 1000 stator installed and 1980 gl1100 reg ret installed ...results seem to be over charging going on ..the battery is boiling out water ....i have the sense wire hook up to the black switch on hot wire from key switch...im thinking i want to hook directly to battery for sense wire hook up....want comments ....will this drain the battery? when key off or burn up reg ret hook this way?

the voltage was high at idle at home dan right at 14 volts ...but that seemed like success to me from where it was at no charge ...its very possible reg ret is bad it came from parts bike

14 volts at the reg shouldn't boil a battery dry Joe :yes: I would expect a possible problem with your battery as Dan mentioned or a low sense voltage causing the battery to be overcharged.

ok its starting to look like as always with this bike ...the problem is in the wiring harness itself ...and not the switch maybe....this bike sat 20plus yrs in a building with concrete floor and it seems this took a toll on the wires used in the wiring harness ....i will be taking the vetter off and start trying to find the wire or fix the switch ...but its looking more like a wire than switch at the moment.... :builder:

Joe this is the main reason for doing an ignition circuit relay mod. Use this same circuit to feed the voltage sense wire on the regulator and you won't have to chase wire and switch problems. If the headlight and fan circuit become a problem do them as well.

the wires are so bad on this bike it wont keep a relay engaged ...im not sure what cause the total degrade of all wiring on this bike ...but it has it ...i had to take off the relay cause it was going in and out ..the c5 is on all new wiring and a new 50 amp switch ..no relay ....this bike needs total rewire and will get it some day

ok im going on about 24hrs now with charging sense wire from the keyed switch hot to the reg-ret hooked up direct to the battery .....so far isee no problem doing this ...but im not saying this is a good thing yet .....over charging and battery cook off is a huge deal on oldwings ....be nice if this works out and sense can be direct hook up to battery with no problem ...seems this one thing could make battery last much longer .....it really makes no sense to have sense wire for battery so far remove from battery with all the connections and stuff in the wiring harnest to read battery voltage ...it should come from battery........and in all my experience ive never heard where someone has left there key on ....witch is like the way im hooked up now as in sense wire direct to battery....that the reg goes out

ok very productive today already bike key switch fixed ....wow now i know how that comes apart and made glad a good clean up all it needed......bike is still doing good with regulator sense wire hooked direct to battery .....cranking fine showing no signs of draining battery .....going to do some more wiring work before putting vetter back on ...

Move the sense wire back to the ignition circuit Joe now that you have cleaned the switch. The idea behind remote sensing is to give you the correct voltage for the system taking into account voltage drop in the wiring, switches etc. now that you have fixed the voltage drop overcharging should not be an issue.

Latest posts