Single Carb Setup...(or let the flaming begin! :o) )

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tumunga

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, while checking out https://www.goldingwingfacts.com, I found this:

ldinake.jpg

https://ldwingnut.com/default.aspx

I showed it to the backrest, and she said get it if I want it. The guy builds the intake, and has it setup for a Volkswagon single barrel carb. Bolt on, no cutting or fitting. Uses your intake tubes that you've spent all week polishing, and only the pull cable on your carb. It has an electric choke, and a lifetime warranty air filter.

Now, I'm waiting for the ol' state refund check to show up, and I'm buying it...intake, carb, and breather...

PLUS, I don't care if anyone thinks I shouldn't do it because Randaak said not to (I like Randaak)...I'm doing it anyway!!!

Really, what do you all think of this? I did a search, and I didn't see a single carb thread on here. With this being an old wing forum, it's really not complete without a single carb thread...FLAME AWAY!!!

:yahoo: :heat: :music: :clapping:

Im not at all against it if you have carb issues it seems like a simple fix.
If I was having issues I would consider it.

The only issues I think would be freezing up,and randaaks proof of more power with 4.But if I wanted a quarter mile racer Id use a differant bike.

Go for it and let us know how it goes.

I was just fooling around with my "don't care what ya'll think" attitude up there because I couldn't believe how sensitive a topic that was on that particular forum. I'm still perusing it, getting a kick out of all the barking going on there.

I've stayed out of that discussion at GWF :smilie_happy:

I'm glad you brought this up because just yesterday I was syncing mine and thinking how much simpler a single cab would be.
Also number 2 cab has some problems, it was drilled and experimented on by the PO then expoxied back so that one is flacky so mine may be going to a single.

I'll prolly build the PVC plenum to keep cost down.

Oh about this:
I showed it to the backrest, and she said get it if I want it.

Is it legal in your state for women to have more than one husband?

That is for some stupid reason the touchiest subject to bring up over there.It turns into a battle worse than oil,at least once a year.
At on point randaak pulled all his contributions to the GWF and left.Took his toys and went home so to speak,while another threatened to ride full speed into a brick wall :shock: AND ALL OVER THE SINGLE CARB VERSUS 4 CONTRAVERSY :shock:

That was about enough drama for me.I am much happier at these more layed back slower moving forums.

I have riden with a friend who has the single carb set up and loves it.Has no problems and is still faster than me.But he has a 82,and I have a 83.He was faster to begin with.

This subject reminds me how grateful I am to dan and all the members here for keeping this place such a friendly cool place to hang out.Thanks guys :grin: :salute:

I don't get what the issue is to start with. A single carb would definitely be easier to work with once it was installed, and tuned. Perhaps there are a lot of 'Wingers that are like some of the NCRS guys...purists to the bone....anything that isn't the way it left the factory is sacrilegious.
Yeeesh... :Awe:
I'll leave mine the way it is, for as long as it will start, run, and get me home. But I'm absolutely intrigued by the idea of the single carb set-up. I remember reading thru the thread that used to be here on the set-up.
tumunga's pic shows a manifold made of exhaust tubing, where-as the other one I've seen used the PVC pipe.
Has there been any dyno results, or any other data to show the single carb is better/worse than the quad set-up, tho? Seems to me that fuel mixture cyl/cyl would suffer some on the single carb deal, due to the "design" of the manifold. Ida know... :rtfm:
:mrgreen:

Tory":1brrnpy4 said:
That was about enough drama for me.I am much happier at these more layed back slower moving forums.

SLOWER MOVING! WE GO AS FAST AS WE CAN! :lol: (Can't help it that we type so sloooow) :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Thats it, we are going to have to drum up some drama!! :yahoo:

Now here is great way to start the drama!

AApple":2nd6d5s5 said:
Perhaps there are a lot of 'Wingers that are like some of the NCRS guys...purists to the bone....anything that isn't the way it left the factory is sacrilegious.

I absolutely agree that it must be factory only!!! :rtfm:

(Oh my, if I remember correctly, I might have made a few mods to my bike! I guess I can't be a purist.)

FORGET THAT DRAMA, WE'LL FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO GET INTO AN UPROAR OVER! :blush:

AApple":ob42dogt said:
I don't get what the issue is to start with. A single carb would definitely be easier to work with once it was installed, and tuned. Perhaps there are a lot of 'Wingers that are like some of the NCRS guys...purists to the bone....anything that isn't the way it left the factory is sacrilegious.
I'll leave mine the way it is, for as long as it will start, run, and get me home. But I'm absolutely intrigued by the idea of the single carb set-up. I remember reading thru the thread that used to be here on the set-up.
tumunga's pic shows a manifold made of exhaust tubing, where-as the other one I've seen used the PVC pipe.
Has there been any dyno results, or any other data to show the single carb is better/worse than the quad set-up, tho? Seems to me that fuel mixture cyl/cyl would suffer some on the single carb deal, due to the "design" of the manifold. Ida know... :rtfm:
:mrgreen:

That pretty much sums it up for me but I DO like to tinker so after I satisfy my New Years resolution to clean the garage out I'll have room to build something.

dan filipi":2uuts284 said:
so after I satisfy my New Years resolution to clean the garage out I'll have room to build something.

I hear ya on that... My garage is a Pig-Sty :smilie_happy: Been needing to clean it out for a looong time

I just wish I had a garage. :crying: I do all my work on the back porch.

As for the single carb setup, I don't know if the fuel mixture would suffer or not. I mean, you have one opening for air and fuel both to enter, so, it seems to me anyways, that if you get it mixed right for one cylinder, the rest should follow suit. I don't know alot about carbs though so I'll just sit back and watch.

As for the purist, it will never be truly yours if you leave it bone stock, and you can't consider yourself a purist if you add all the little farkles and chrome. It's only pure if it came built that way.

Some of you should be old enough to remember when you could buy a 4 bbl 4 into 1 carb setup for a inline 4.... JC whitney use to sell them.. lets see IIRC about 1976-78...

plskthompson1":23kv8c62 said:
I just wish I had a garage. :crying: I do all my work on the back porch.

PORCH!??? You got a Porch??? lucky you!!! I got gravel and dirt drive way... do have a big red lift though... and I need to do the belts and forks..

i think the setup eric posted is the best ive seen, its simple design has the runner lengths from carb to head perfect compared to other designs ive seen. its got to be consistant from one cylinder to another. the man who came up with this has went to the trouble and expense to make them for sale and for 200 dollars for the manifold and 400 dollars for manifold and carb is a good deal. for years nothing was availible unless used or fabricated. LD done the best fabrication ive seen and the pluses out weigh the minuses. being a person who could make my own i wouldnt with availibity of LD setup at such a good price and design. if i had the extra money i would have already bought it . its not like most of us are going to take our fully equip wings down to the drag strip. if nothing else i would like to buy the intake i dont see how it could be done any better or improved on. the man said theres no icing problem i beleave him the design of his manifold speaks for itself well done LD

True we're not running these on a drag strip but I wonder how throttle response is with the carb so far from each cylinder. Probably at least that of a VW, they have long runners.
I ask because although I dont race mine very often there are times when I gotta get out of the way QUICK.
A lag in acceleration could mean the difference of life or death.

Yes, VERY interestinfg thread! Driving in Houston trafic daily means quick acceleration or i'm road-kill. Ride On!!! :music:

Personly I would rather see a twin barrel Weber set up, after all our motors far out perform a std 1000/1100 VW but would have to think about the fireing order to get it right but if the lenght of this set up with VW carby adds up to an even pulse (intake valve opening just before new charge gets there) it should work good. The standard setup on the 1100 is about 1.7 pulses long so next charge bounces off the intake valve before it opens, very inefficent :)
And yes lets be creative with this and keep it fun and just exept that some have more $ to play with than others and some (like me) have a lathe to make enough parts to keep my old carbies going for a few more years yet :)

Latest posts