Single Carb Setup...(or let the flaming begin! :o) )

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it seems that if you are not right on top of keeping carbs clean and such you can have bad thortle response on stock carbs. but there are all kinds of runner setups that are worst than this. theres enough carb adjustment to make that concern mute i think but one never knows thats why i say keep both set ups. iused to have a 68 firebird 400 that i had 4 barrel set up and six pack or tri power set up that i could go from one to the other in minutes. thats why i like LD set up it takes all the variables and brings them down to the nitty gritty if hes got the icing thing down i think that probably bleeds over in other things like throtle response just my opion.

dan filipi":1ahb59jr said:
I've stayed out of that discussion at GWF :smilie_happy:

Oh about this:
I showed it to the backrest, and she said get it if I want it.

Is it legal in your state for women to have more than one husband?

I don't know about that one, but the house is pretty full as it is. You'd have to sleep in the shed.

I've had an '82 GL1100 Standard, an '80 Interstate & now have an '82 Aspencade.
On the '82 Standard I was new back into bikes (41 yr break) & was too chicken to touch the carbs. Rebuilt the '80I & '82A ones but find it a pain.
Just added a '99 Yamaha Road Star 1600 to my overcrowded garage & it only has ONE carb. Sounds like heaven to me.

proably not but on 1100s and 78-79 1000s the cams make there power lower in the rpm range and wont suffer much hp loss if any. the biggest gain is simplicity of set up and operation

I spent all last summer tinkering with them carbs. I think way too much. I got them dialed in pretty good, but I'm liking the simplicity of this, as well as the durability of the volkswagon carb.

tumunga":1h3itbze said:
I spent all last summer tinkering with them carbs. I think way too much. I got them dialed in pretty good, but I'm liking the simplicity of this, as well as the durability of the volkswagon carb.

I don't know. :?

German carbs on an American set of intakes mounted on a Japanese engine? :roll:

mcgovern61":12z8vuju said:
tumunga":12z8vuju said:

I don't know. :?

German carbs on an American set of intakes mounted on a Japanese engine? :roll:

German CARB my man, German carb. Howboutcheeee!!! :good:

so dave thats very interesting, if im understanding you right your saying that it might be better that the carb is further away. would you elaberate more fully i would like to understand the principal behind your thoughts. thanks

joedrum":2z83seya said:
so dave thats very interesting, if im understanding you right your saying that it might be better that the carb is further away. would you elaberate more fully i would like to understand the principal behind your thoughts. thanks

Even better if the intake tract was shorter. Things happen real fast when an engine is running, the vacume of the intake stroke draws mixture from the manifold and gets the next charge out of the carby which travels on it's momemtum down the intake untill the intake opens and draws it in to the cylinder. If you check out a sports bike you will see much shorter intake, these have been calculated in lenght to be 1 intake pulse long at their target performance revs. Almost impossible to do with our 'flat' engine layout, but if they where a little longer then 2 charges would be on the way down the intake.
Easy to see why electronic fuel injection with its unlimited self adjustment gains HP.

thanks dave i understand completly now. so if the manifold and carb setup flow was upset by running into the closed intake value you could raise the carb up with spacer to stretch the pluse out to where its flow is timed with the motor. i met a man yesterday who has an 82 1100 that hes building and wants me to do single carb mod to his bike. he works with leather so were going to trade off skills. i think ive got my head around this enough to go for it i might even fab my own manifold. imay do one for me to with the kind of riding i do this would be a good setup for me . i like cutting down the parts by 300 percent . i think the addition of a big accelerator pump might make up some of the difficit of throtle response my bike a 79 dosent have pump. so im fixing to pull the trigger for low dollar out of thin air carb mod.

joedrum":1pz9tu9b said:
proably not but on 1100s and 78-79 1000s the cams make there power lower in the rpm range and wont suffer much hp loss if any. the biggest gain is simplicity of set up and operation
what do you call the " low rpm range "? i've ridden a gl1000, my 1200 and my 1500. the 1000 needed to be reved more than my 1200 and my 1200 is weak below 2500 rpm

78 79 1000s have the same cam profile as 1100s the 75-77 1000s had hotter cams and need more rpm to make there power . when ichange the final drive on my 79 it put more load on the motor and realy brought out the best in the cam profile of my bike . with the stock final drive the bike just went right through its best troque curve under to little load. my bike not real powerful at 2500 rpm but at 70mph and 3400 rpm is right at the begining of my bike troque cruve and makes some petty good power and it just gets better when i pour the coal to it idont have to go above 6000 rpm to make better power. so at that kind of setup on my bike idont think single carb mod is going to hurt my bike that much it dosent realy make power inthe higher rpm zone that a single carb might suffer at compared to stock.

A blank boss is a cast in flat spot on the side of the carb throat, that is thicker the the rest of the casting and can be drilled and taped. I once read an article on this being this done on VW carbs to install water injection. Water injection is an old hotrodders trick to gain horsepower, dating back to the 30's or earlier. The theory is that you cool the air/fuel mixture entering the combustion chambers with a fine mist of water, cool air is denser than hot air, which means more oxygen, and more oxygen means you get a better burn and thus increase power. I know it sounds goofy but it works. You have to find a fine balance between too much, which would drown out the cylinders and to little which won't be effective. A little side bonus is it prevents or reduces carbon build up in the cylinders. You can actually spray a fine mist of water in the carb of a running engine and hear it increase rpm, but be careful, this will also soften any built up carbon and if a big breaks off it could damage a valve or piston. I can draw up some rough plans if you want to see how it's done, only takes about $20.00 to buy the parts to make this setup, so it's a cheap horsepower gain.

sure ilike options to think about and this sounds interesting without much drawbacks and if you didnt like it you could block it off thanks id like a rough plans you could do or explane

Hello All, I've been running a single carb now for almost 10yrs. +-,.. CI set up with a single barrel Holly. I can say I have really had no problems with it but like anything new, it had some tweaking issues. The biggest reason I got the set up it was because the PO let the bike set for 2 years in his garage and no upkeep, so my learning began :heat: with the OEM carbs. After spending several Bills for a rebuild, (and the hassle to take the system on and off a million times :swoon:) and leaks and I could never get the OEM's to sink right, I found the infamous CI setup which at the time they were the only people offering a single barrel system ( even back then at around $400 bills, I was destined to live in the Garage for awhile :smilie_happy: because of the cost)I bought it with out regret. After all my experimenting this is my final conclusion, :laptop: single carbs are great for the simplicity, all have some tweaking to perform well, whatever you can make or buy Go for it :cool!: !!! As for different issues like icing, I found on mine it occured on 45'to50' humid mornings just a little stumble but I still adapted a coolent line that helps and, a shut off for summertime,.. :heat: !! I will also add, make sure your igition wires are in excellent shape (ask me how I know) :blush: !! And if anyone does decide to buy LD's set up, remember it was based on an 1100 system so the timing will have to be advanced to make it run well. :fiddle: :lazy: I think I've said enough so have fun and enjoy the tinkering ( I'm in the process of adding a Weber/Holly 5200 :cool!: ) Later, :hi: Bob