Single Carb Setup...(or let the flaming begin! :o) )

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some pics of the install:

This is the intake, looking down from where the carb mounts. You can see the ledge I talked about earlier. I don't think that should be there. Very, very shoddy workmanship.

LDWingnutIntakedowntube1.jpg

here you can see how far of a distance I had to stretch the cable. With the cable here, it was stretched so tight, the engine idled at about 3500 rpm. This is before I started hacking on the throttle arm.

04ThrottleCable.JPG

Here's another picture of the throttle cable. Note the position of the cable mount on the intake in comparison to the brass float bowl drain bolt.

LD_Install (13).JPG

This next picture I had to beg for. It's from the LD's buddy who praised the setup as a 1 hour install. Anyway, I was told it had to be something I was doing wrong to the throttle cable to keep it from working, but as you can see in this picture of a fully operational intake, note the position of the throttle cable mount in comparison to the brass float bowl drain bolt. The mount is practically right underneath that brass bolt. On my "plug and play" setup, it's at least an 1" farther back. This is what I tried to tell them before I hacked the throttle arm on the carburetor to make the throttle work, but they wouldn't listen.

MVC-016S.JPG

I don't know what to say about LD. I'm sure he's a nice feller and all, but his customer service skills are seriously lacking, as well as his fabrication skills. For something advertised as able to be up and running in an hour for $513, it should be.

Eric, you are right, that ledge is not a full penetration weld which would be required to prevent air leaks via pinholes in the weld on the outside. It looks like the setup might either be used on other bikes too with longer throttle cables.....or, he does not have a standard set of plans that is followed every time a new unit is built. It is too bad because the idea should work if properly machined. :doh:

I know that I appreciate your patience and the fact that you did not vent and demean LD on the forum! :music: :clapping: :thanks:

The whole thing looks nicely done otherwise.
Seems like LD just needs to work on his quality control and people skills..........well lowering the price would be nice too.

Thanks for posting this with the pictures and explanation what went sour.

We're not here to bash anyone but it's good to be well informed what to watch out for.

mcgovern61":1ukukpwe said:
I know that I appreciate your patience and the fact that you did not vent and demean LD on the forum! :music: :clapping: :thanks:

I agree,youve been far more patiant than I could have.

I was not understanding that you purchased the carb from LD,even if it was dropped shipped.Sounds like you comunicated with him as much as you could to no avail,and you should not be the one getting the short stick.

If they are advertizing as a quick easy plug and play,they should have been more helpfull.

badorderbob":13doad0o said:
Dan the post over at SS was a varity of posts put together. And it has always been the hope there would be a bolt on plugnplay set up. CC had one back in the late seventies or about and CI produced one and then went out of business. And there have been many others who have built theirs not so help with an itch,.. but out of being tired of or spending so much money on the Oems so they tried another way. I always feel I have to defend using a single carb setup wither it be here or over at SS where a big blow up was curtailed by the mods. It's always a shame when one has diffculties wither with Oems or trying other opitions and they don't work. If you can get your Oems to work then by all means do it but what bothers me is when at least we are trying to get our bikes back on the road, some are slamed for trying the Single Carb Conversions. I'm will say I'm sorry to hear of Tumunga's experience. Doing any conversion like the one with the alt. conversion was not a plug n play, it took patience, tinkering, and the will to succed not matter what one said about it. And I'm sure some said why not just put the Oem back in instead of all the labor put into it. I guess because you could and being the alt is in a place to change out comes down to comparsion with the single barrel experience,......simplicity. Again sorry it didn't work out for Mr. T and I hope ya get your bike back on the road, that's what it's all about no matter how it's done!!! Later :hi: Bob

Thanks Bob. Just for the record, as soon as I decided give up and send the intake back, my bike was back on the road with the original carbs in about an hour.

Tory":2vcs58nz said:
dan filipi":2vcs58nz said:
badorderbob":2vcs58nz said:
what bothers me is when at least we are trying to get our bikes back on the road, some are slamed for trying the Single Carb Conversions. Bob

That bothers me too Bob and point well taken about the mods necessary for an alternator conversion, which gets slammed also :evil:

As anyone here and at Saunders will tell you, I'm the type that thinks outside the box (alt on mine, swapped gears, 1100 radiator into a 1200) and welcome any discussions about ALL non OEM mods be it a single carb setup, external alternator, whatever.

We've been very fortunate with a great bunch of guys here. I cant think of one flame thread in the 3 years this forum has been up. Even with this post title " Single Carb Setup...(or let the flaming begin! :eek:) )" the discussion has been light.

So anyway, back to the topic at hand......

I have a rack from the parts bike I'm thinking of rebuilding to put on my runner but it seems like I can build a plenum and get a carb for less than a Randakk kit. Is that true?
PVC is super simple to work with (even a caveman could do it) but does PVC and the glue hold up to the heat and fuel?

I'd like to hear more from Tumunga about what the problems were before deciding.

All very true.These bikes are riders,and the best honda ever built in my mind.Some times we make changes to make them live longer or do something better honda didnt plan on.These are not classic vincents and personal libertys are alowed.

As for this group,this is the only forum that I dont recall some big pi$$ing macth over some dumb differance of opinion.This topic is as touchy as oil,and this is the only group I know that has handled it so maturly.And that include NGW and SS.

Perhaps its because 1100 owners are all cut from the same clothe?

Yes sir, the topic is touchy, but I knew it wouldn't catch any of the crap here. That's why I jokingly put "let the flaming begin" in the topic title. Too many nice people here for a conversation to get caught up in fabricated drama.

im hoping this topic has a bright side .....there are many who could benifit from a single setup that work or even a doublr carb setup.....old wings are like valkyrie they are multi carb porches and single carbs are like volkswagons ......they are two different animals for two diffent purposes and a double would be like the 1500 wings are ....there is a huge difference between a 1500 wing and 1500 valkyrie......a well tuned valk is something to listen to and 1500 wing is one of the best touring bikes out there ....the best maybe with reverse and all .....

so early wings setup is very valkyrie like .....so for home grown tecks like me and others who try to detune the old wings some to get total simplicity and reliability sould not be verbaly blasted by egg headed puris who sound like some gov agency trying to tell people what to do when people can think for themselfs rather it be carb setup or car tyre use or anything else ....people who run there moths about things they dont want to do and want others to stop because thats what they think and they know better than stupid others are just communists and sould be ridiculed to what they are ....and let others do what they want or want to discuss without there rude gossip of BS that turns a topic into mud slinging and a waist to the topic at hand

so im hoping we can keep going forward like we do here in this forum to be open minded and non cridical of the topics we discuss .....joedrum :rocks: :mrgreen:

No we are here with open minds to ponder the ins and outs of keeping these on the road.. seems we have all types here Naked's that what to stay that way, interstates, aspencades, first models.. and those that are found in pieces and have become whole.. albeit like the Mongroul.. patchworked into riding machines.. (Thumbsup JoeDrum).. and why go into flame wars if someone wants to try something out or save money (which is real scarce today) in staying on the road.. This forum is like the forums of ancient Greece.. places to mull over ideas.. and I like it..

:clapping: :clapping: :salute: :party: :rocks: :music3: :hihihi: :builder: :cool!: :salute: :music: :swoon: :smilie_happy: :lust: :doh: :hihihi: :whistling: :hi: :beer: :Awe: :cheeky: :lazy: yes were all different and find great stuff to try and do here ...ive had problems i could find an answer to and had it solved here on this forum from others insite and humor to get you pointed in the right direction more than onece :mrgreen:

Tumga,.. I can totally respect the the views on conversions, good or bad!! I've always said if you can run the OEMS run'm :hi: !! Sorry ya had bad luck with the LD setup :| !! I know when I got the CI set up I'm running, it had a lot of tinkering on my part. When I got my bike it sat for about 1 1/2 yrs., needed everthing from timing belts, plugs/wires, etc. Since I was just getting aquiated with her, It took about 5years of frustration to get where she would run good :clapping: !! Now I'm in the process of converting to Weber/Holley 32'36, but at the rate I'm going it'll take another 5yrs. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: !!!! Ride it while ya can :rocks: Later Bob

I'm all for conversions, modifications, adaptation of parts. It's what sets a bike apart from the crowd. It's how I make it mine.

Just curious, with all the time and dollars that we all have spent it might put an end to all of the frustrations, just a thought, or perhaps just wishfull thinking?

Dano":3jefmf4l said:
Might be a silly question,:has anyone ever tried fuel injecting one of these?
There is a fuel injected 1200 model that had problems. If we should try fuel injection (which I would like to try) how do we meter the fuel? No senders or any way that I know of to control the flow.

Possibly throttle body injection where fuel is metered in part by a throttle position sensor, or other means that have proven reliable in the past?

thanks bob ive seen that before and would like to know how its working out .....lots of stuff there to come up with :hi: :mrgreen: down the road i might look at this as i have the injection rack for the 1200 :mrgreen:

All I can say is, that looked to me to be an impressive install. This individual does impressive work!

Latest posts