Speedmetal H I D light kit installation in an 1100 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I'm getting ready to do this same upgrade, I think I'll add a rocker switch (next to the one for my LED driving lights) for the headlight. Seems easier to me than using a timed delay relay - maybe, maybe not. I'll letcha know.

Just ordered the head light kit from Cycle Gear (same as Dan); $65.38 out the door.

Switch will be much easier and just fine for the job.

Easiest place to tie in I think is at the fuse for the headlight.

The time delay relay is going to be a pita.
I have to tie in after the start button and before the high low switch for it to work the way I want it to.

Time delay relay is installed!

I took this opportunity to also make a video how to get into the gauge to access the bulbs:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms0fUVmVII8[/video]

Continuing in to the wiring and hookup of the time delay relay:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u43L5NTnlM[/video]

The switch idea has its merits. On my 87 CBR the headlight is switched which is great when you have flooded carbs or a weak battery and you can turn the headlight off. That said I have been guilty of riding off without turning it back on straight away. That never happens on the later one as it is always on.

Ansimp":2csv1uda said:
The switch idea has its merits. On my 87 CBR the headlight is switched which is great when you have flooded carbs or a weak battery and you can turn the headlight off. That said I have been guilty of riding off without turning it back on straight away. That never happens on the later one as it is always on.
In that rare case I'd just pull the headlight fuse.

Just got notification from Cycle Gear that my Speedmetal HID light has been shipped; since I'm leaving in the morning for some time in the Caribbean, it'll be waiting for me when I get back (all tan and relaxed) :smilie_happy: I hope I can do as good an install as Dan did...

Head light is installed. I used a lighted indicator switch from Radio Shack and mounted it high on the left side dash. I ran power straight from the battery terminals to the relay.

DAMN! That light is BRIGHT! No way you can't see me coming now!

:clapping: Thanks, Dan, for the how to! :clapping: I prob'ly would never have tackled that with it! (Same goes for the CBR coil mod)

No Dan, I've not seen it at night yet - I just got the bike back together this afternoon. :music:
I did the HID headlight, CBR coils, digital thermometer and added the Hopkins trailer light converter. Now I need to finish a few things on the trailer I built and I'm ready to hit the road :clapping: :clapping:

I used the "search" function and came up empty:

?? :help: Where do I find the specs for aiming my headlight :laptop: ??
Now that I've installed the Speedmetal HID light, I need to ensure I've got it aimed properly.....
:thanks:

Generally I do it like the first one (Haynes) suggests:

image.php

image.php

image.php

I just looked at your post and in my Clymers.... all it says it to "...adjust in accordance with local Dept. of Trans. regulations..."
I was looking more for an aim point height - usually at about 25 feet on flat ground....

Does that make my question any clearer?

Latest posts