Starter just spins on 1984 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130313#p130313:39aknt3d said:
Gashog » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:07 am[/url]":39aknt3d]
Plan on oil change, timing belts, fuel lines, rear drive oil change and grease the driveshaft splines.

Sounds good, don't forget tires and brakes. Much more important to go around corners and be able to stop! :yes:

Tires, brakes and clutch slave cylinder all new. PO kept pretty good care of things. His wife got transfered and they couldn't find a place that had any room for extras like motorcycles. He wasn't happy about selling it, just didn't think he had a choice.

Hey looks like you stole that one for $600. Pull the plugs and find 2nd gear and see if you can get the motor to move by rotating the rear tire by hand. Maybe you can bribe some buddies with beer to stop over and try a push start, make sure to use 2nd or 3rd gear and starter fluid. If you are are lucky try to get it up to operating temp, might free up the starter clutch.

100_1455_resized.jpg
Some parts for my bump starter have been slow getting here. That and a lot of rain lately. Got to get rid of some stuff so I can get the Wing in my shop. While wating, I found a write up on the net that shows how to get some penetrating oil right to the springs and plungers on the starting clutch without pulling the engine. It involves some careful drilling. There are three holes around the clutch that go through to the springs and plungers. Drill about a 1/4" hole in the cover in line with the holes in the clutch. Then plug the hole after you get it working.

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 2013-01-12_16-39-16_859.jpg
    2013-01-12_16-39-16_859.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 2013-01-12_16-41-00_553.jpg
    2013-01-12_16-41-00_553.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 123
  • imgp07826qnzs1ewbu.jpg
    imgp07826qnzs1ewbu.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 122
...Might work... Sure beats pulling the engine and rear cover!

My only concern would be metal shavings from the drilling getting inside the cover. The scavenger pump in the clutch area doesn't have a screen on its pickup. I have an '82 engine that got a small brass rivet from the clutch in that pump, the pump seized and sheared the shaft that drives both oil pumps. It ended up with a spun bearing from no oil pressure.. Not trying to scare you, just be careful drilling!

I plan on keeping the bit well greased to hold the shavings. I have found that by drilling slow and keeping grease on the bit, you can control most of the cuttings. I agree, pump clearances between rotors and housing are close.

This little guy...

Got into this little guy...

And caused this...

Probably not a pleasant experience when it happened. The bearings were toast, but surprisingly, the crank, cylinders, and everything else was fine. The brass rivet was from the clutch cushion plate. I don't know how long the bike was ridden without oil pressure or coolant circulation...

gee when come to water pump ... sorry honda your design sucks a big one ...sheesh what a crsppy set up to make a water pump such a nightmare job ...who ever design this should have been shot....

That makes me think that maybe an ignition cutoff relay in the oil pressure light circuit might not be a bad idea. Would be simple to do and might save an engine. They do this on boats all the time.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131352#p131352:slx9fs1k said:
Gashog » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:57 pm[/url]":slx9fs1k]
That makes me think that maybe an ignition cutoff relay in the oil pressure light circuit might not be a bad idea. Would be simple to do and might save an engine. They do this on boats all the time.

Steve's 83 problem was not caused by an over running starter. I don't think there is any real advantage of a starter interlock circuit as you are sitting right on top of the engine/ starter and should be able to hear that if it happens :yes: