The CI manifold revisited

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
After experiencing the gains from using the 2 to 1 adapter on top of the VW plenum, I'm going to mount up the CI manifold I have to see how it reacts with this adapter.

This is an experiment and what we do here at CGW.

With the CI bolted straight up with my Weber carb, I had a hard time getting a smooth steady idle below 1100 rpm and acceleration was very sluggish.
The actual why and reasonings behind causing this bad performance I am not concerned with.
This will be a direct swap over of the carb and adapter from my excellent running custom runners and VW plenum for accurate comparisons.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=108994#p108994:2pm3te2b said:
dan filipi » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:13 pm[/url]":2pm3te2b]
Can anyone suggest a method of softening the intake boot rubber?
I've read about soaking them in brake fluid. Also a solution of 30% wintergreen oil (methyl salicylate) and 70% and soak for about 48 hours. Some say to warm them with a blow dryer and cover them with foaming tire spray and leave them in a ziplock overnight. Just afew methods I ran across, i havn't tried any yet, so I have no practical knowledge.

For a quick fit of them I use vaseline. It will soften them over time but not right away. It will lubricate right away though to allow fitting them on. Same results with a coat of ATF. I've read the Navy used citric acid to soften rubber shaft seal so maybe a soak in lemon juice? I've not tried and don't know if the rubber compounds are similar enough.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=109016#p109016:289xybhk said:
dan filipi » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:47 pm[/url]":289xybhk]
Cycle Innovations.
And here.
Not sure the year these were made or what happened to the company.
Some interesting facts and/or things I was told:

1. The hard copy of the manual linked is mine. It was given to me by one of the owners of Cycle Innovations with permission to scan and post on the web.

2. Their website was 'active' from early 2000 to early 2005. I assume the bulk of their sales were during that time frame. https://web.archive.org/web/201401132303 ... tions.com/

3. Their official statement for their demise was the carb they were using became unavailable and they were searching for a suitable replacement. The drama behind the scenes (nothing to do with the company) was bizarre, but I am not at liberty to discuss.

4. When they ordered carbs, they ordered $20,000 worth at a time. That's a lot of carbs!

5. One of the owners wants to revive the product and experimentation is underway now. Whether it gets anywhere I don't know as he, personally, is unable to do the things he could just a few short years ago.

6. A stash of original manifolds and the molds have been located. As such the desire is to use these manifolds in the 'revived' product.

Time will tell if it is successful or not. He is determined to use a single barrel carb, but I think if a 2 barrel was proven to work well on the CI manifold, with little or no modifications, I could convince him otherwise.

im sure someone like me or dan or many of us can make this work and it has nothing to do with patent crap or unavailable carb... if the guy worried and don't want to use other carbs he needs to be taken out to dinner and be detoxed as gently as can be done ... its obvious he mind got fill up with science of BS this country seems to put above everything .. ...the motor carbs and manifolds were invented over a century ago ....sheesh
:good:

ok ive spoke my last word on this issue ..and will get back to trying to help others im sorry blatant .. it comes from seeing clearly ... clearly all I want to do is help others with there oldwing no payment or elitness in return im sorry if I ruffled feathers ..now I have complete picture im done you can take that to the bank

as for the topic it seems me and dan both are doing a version of close to the same thing ... the manifold im working with is a lot like the CI and we are both doing the same thing really ill post in the Vs thread on his bike as that's where its going with some pics today id say been working on it :builder:

Joe sorry if I got you riled up. That was not my intention I was trying to answer some questions
mcgovern61":ia5wqz66 said:
Help me out....what is a CI manifold?
dan filipi":ia5wqz66 said:
Not sure the year these were made or what happened to the company.

As I understand patents, they do not stop you from making something for your own use but rather protect the patent holder from someone else selling the idea as their own.
CaptainMidnight85 at Saunders":ia5wqz66 said:
At this point, I cannot divulge much more than I already have due to various possible patent disputes that I've yet to successfully resolve.
I have no idea what CM85's patent dispute is about but with his history I have a hard time believing anything he says.

joedrum":ia5wqz66 said:
if the guy worried and don't want to use other carbs he needs to be taken out to dinner and be detoxed as gently as can be done ...
Unfortunately he is in his mid 70's and had a heart attack a couple of years ago. His mind is fine but he can no longer paint, ride, or wrench and has others do that for him. Last I spoke with him, he was even selling his trike. Getting old sucks, but I guess it beats the alternative.

I am watching the threads here for inspiration and hopefully everybody will post their failed attempts as well as successes. Sometimes more is learned from failures.

How cool would it be to help further develop the ci manifold into a plug and play package?
If the owner is even willing to pursue this of course.

Our concentration here has been helping others to build their own from off the shelf parts but I'm sure there are many guys would be intrested in a completed plug and play kit.

I think you might be on to something with a package for the old wing! a lot of folks love these old bikes but don't want the problems of the stock carb set up! in my opinion, that was our bikes only down fall! I would like to find 1 of those intakes to play with also, make a heat plate for it and it looks like a fantastic piece! however, i thought that about some i dated 40 years ago and was wrong!! :oops: