The one bike you wished you had kept,

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1060dsl":3fk7fnxa said:
I have been thinking of getting a GL1500 but my 1200 is a trouble free ride and not valuable enough to sell.
I'm feeling your pain! Better let me take that poor trouble free low value 1200 off your hands before the prices get so low it would be embarrasing for you! :smilie_happy: :beg:

mcgovern61":13jnh0nu said:
1060dsl":13jnh0nu said:
I have been thinking of getting a GL1500 but my 1200 is a trouble free ride and not valuable enough to sell.
I'm feeling your pain! Better let me take that poor trouble free low value 1200 off your hands before the prices get so low it would be embarrasing for you! :smilie_happy: :beg:
:smilie_happy: Ya ya ya -what I meant is, around here its hard to get 2G out of an 85 Interstate and the thing is so reliable it would kill me to buy a 1500 and have problems when I have none with the 1200 . I know bigger is better but sometimes problem free is good enough. :thanks:

dan filipi":bhitecko said:
Use Google Chrome browser, it has a spell checker.
Just dump Internet Explorer. The other browsers have spell check.
:music: I use Mozilla and I just realized I can load dictionaries on it - pretty cool :music:

:yahoo: Everything spelled wrong has a squiggly line under it except Joe's posts - there they simply highlight the ones spelled right (conserving ink) :hi: :yahoo:

For me it is my 1985 Suzuki GS550L.

I owned a 1968 Olds Toronado that came stock from the factory with a 455 CI engine and front wheel drive. It would pass everything but the gas station as long as it was dry outside. As soon as I hit a water puddle the engine would quit.

I gave up on the car and walked into a Virginia Beach Suzuki Dealer and rode out on my first street bike. That was just the right size of a bike to keep a 19 year old Sailor from getting into too much trouble. In 1996 with about 63,000 miles on the clock, the threads that held the front sprocket on the shaft stripped out so I decided to get another bike and rebuild the 550. When I split the engine, I found that the engine case was cracked so I began looking for an engine. Parts were hard to find so I had the bike in boxes until 2001 when I finally decided to scrap the entire thing.

Here is a picture of one similar to mine until I find a picture of mine to upload.

Attachments

• GS550L.jpg
    GS550L.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 220
When I was 19 I dug my dads old '77 750four SS out of the garage. I did a tune up on it and rode it for a year. I decided to take the engine out of it to paint the frame, against my dads advice, and busted one of the motor mounts. Thing sat for the next 8 years. Then we sold it for $400 to a guy who put it all back together and rode it. It wasnt until recently that I really found appreciation for what that bike was. Still, the old wings are WAY smoother. Not even a comparison. Would have made a sweet cafe though.....

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=67539#p67539:nsyecgzt said:
dan filipi » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:34 am[/url]":nsyecgzt]
Use Google Chrome browser, it has a spell checker.
Just dump Internet Explorer. The other browsers have spell check.
Friends dont let friends use internet explorer :laptop:

A couple weeks ago I traded a 1990 Kawasaki KZ1000 Police bike, found it in a shed, shifter seal had been leaking for a long time, massive amounts of oil were dumped into engine, carb boots were all cracked, had a Vetter fairing with it, birds nest of a maze of wires from where it was connected to the police side bags, engine was clean though. I traded a metal detector for this bike, I replaced the shifter seals and a few more but never started engine, it was then shoved aside since last year for other projects.

Then I found a 82 GL1100 Aspencade with everything and more, much more, has three boxes of extra chrome, trim, floorboards, has about 5 layers of Peterson marker lights on the real all with extra finned covers, its basically a show bike.

Traded the KZ for it, so far the 1100 shows signs of a bad engine but I have an 84 1200 that will slip in. Maybe I will regret trading the KZ, never rode one, it came and went just like that.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186224#p186224:cpesd140 said:
PurpleGL1200I » Today, 9:23 am[/url]":cpesd140]
1985 GL1200 is the best bike I've ever owned. My kids can sell them all after I'm dead.
Best bike is tha one thats paid for and still runs good. Ive had many wish Id kept em all as nobody will appreciate em like tha builder.
I done give strict orders my kids cant ever
have mine no matter what. Let em die in peace of natural causes not by Bloody Murder at their hands :BigGrin:

I held onto this one for 30 years. Sold it in 2005. For the life of me, I still don't know why.

This is 1975. Only digitized shot I an lay hands on right now. Again, it was 1975. Still skinny and with a heckuva lot less hair.

1979.jpg

08390021.jpg
Should have kept all my old bikes. But the one i wish I had today was my Dads 81 Suzuki GS850l. Had a custom paint job and Vetter set up, shaft drive and rode extremely well. While I always had my own bikes to ride, I loved taking Dads 850 out to cruise or book it over Ortega Hwy at night. We toured the western U.S. in 81 when I had my 76 GW. would'nt mind having that one back either.

Attachments

• 08390011.jpg
    08390011.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 102