The Single carb mod, the truth is out of the closet

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if Honda considered a single carb back in the day. Especially when the GW had gone from sport bike to heavy touring bike. With the1200 they seemed to recognize that more torque was needed with larger displacement (through longer stroke), smaller carbs, lower duration cams.

Can you imagine if the technical expertise of Honda were put into developing a single carb setup back then. And this was the very time our Weber DFTs were being put into cars. And Honda was building small cars back then too.

Brian

Looks and sounds great ( not sure about the yapping noise! :smilie_happy: ) :moped: :good: :salute:

toms set up is the only singbel set up i have messed with ...carb seemed easy to set up ...but had no seat time on it at all ...very nice idle and very sweet sounding idle too ...revs great also ....

I have to thank you guys, without you I wouldn't be able to build my single carb setup. I must admit I was collecting info from all over the internet, not only from here.
But here on this forum I find it easy to find good and usable info in this subject. Another place has 2000 pages in this subject, not easy to find what you need there.
A guestion:
Is Langdon's 32/32 running OK out of the box? I mean is it drivable?

I was hoping for it to run almost perfect out of the box. But of course, taking a carburetor from a 1600 cc engine with a max rpm around 5500 rpm, and use it on a 1100 cc bike engine with a max rpm around 8500, it would be a miracle if it would be working perfect out the box.

If it is drivable, but needs to be rejetted to run perfect, I'm fine with fine that. As long as I can drive for a while, and then start rejecting.

The idea about a bolt on out of the box single carb kit, is great.

there are all kinds of carbs here set up from out of the box to totally striped to highly modded ...mines totally striped to strait carb and highly modded and jetted ...so hard question to answer

As Joe said, many different uses! i run mine right out of the box and it works bitchen! However, i do not use a kit or VW type of intake manif and that seems to make a difference! I still use the electric choke and all on the carter/weber from Stovebolt , and i use the 2bbl to 1 bbl adapter on my intake that also makes a huge difference. I have 23,000 miles on my set up with no problems with the carb/intake.
Good luck and have fun! We do have a Great group of folks here and like your self. had i not found this place, my old wing would still be with the other old wings out back in the junk pile. Lots of carbs work on these with re jetting, i have had a lot of luck with the holley 1 bbl's from the old 140ci ford falcon and even 1 from a slant 6 mopar! .. but for me, i will take the carter/weber any day! it won't give you the power that Joe's Hot Rod does but it will give you trouble free riding that the stock carbs won't !! Happy New Year C.G.W. and Thank You!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133407#p133407:2gohjkbc said:
dan filipi » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:38 pm[/url]":2gohjkbc]
Yeah it's funny, I have mentioned to Joe that a couple times after I redlined and beyond this 1200 with the stock valve train that evidently the hydraulic adjusters couldn't keep up and I lost compression on at least one cylinder.
It took letting rpm come back down for compression to recover but it goes to show that a single carb setup can outperform other parts of the engine (the next weak link in the chain) and that there is so much more can be pulled from these engines that Honda choked back to meet EPA or satisfy liability lawyers or whatever.

That is a very strange feeling of vibration when a valve gives up and you loose compression.
This engine may just get 1100 heads and 1000 cams afterall.
I now have 75 heads for my engine that has low millage. Should I pick up a set of 1100 heads an swap the cams or just run them like they are with the 32dtf. This engine gets the mod. Also waiting on the radiator an electrical stuff to .. input welcome money comes in time wanting to build from the block out once thanks.. :builder:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138904#p138904:38regamg said:
CRAFTMAN6001 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:53 pm[/url]":38regamg]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133407#p133407:38regamg said:
dan filipi » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:38 pm[/url]":38regamg]
Yeah it's funny, I have mentioned to Joe that a couple times after I redlined and beyond this 1200 with the stock valve train that evidently the hydraulic adjusters couldn't keep up and I lost compression on at least one cylinder.
It took letting rpm come back down for compression to recover but it goes to show that a single carb setup can outperform other parts of the engine (the next weak link in the chain) and that there is so much more can be pulled from these engines that Honda choked back to meet EPA or satisfy liability lawyers or whatever.

That is a very strange feeling of vibration when a valve gives up and you loose compression.
This engine may just get 1100 heads and 1000 cams afterall.
I now have 75 heads for my engine that has low millage. Should I pick up a set of 1100 heads an swap the cams or just run them like they are with the 32dtf. This engine gets the mod. Also waiting on the radiator an electrical stuff to .. input welcome money comes in time wanting to build from the block out once thanks.. :builder:
That's a better question for Joe because I don't know for sure if the 1000 and 1100 valve's are the same.

Latest posts