The Single carb mod, the truth is out of the closet

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its not just us here its really starting to mushroom that the cv carbs are the biggest discount there is in oldwing performance the hooch video is proof better than dyno numbers to whats going on here
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zfyan7izAc[/video]
if you notice in first gear i went easy on throttle ..the day before i about lost it playing the fool ...but you will notice how smooth it goes through this throttle progression of me easing into it ....and then all out flow once i felt safe video camera hanging from helmet and all ...

people say motor is highly modified and gear lower ...well its mostly all honda parts in motor ...no super charger .. or nitrous or what ever....

but ignition c5 multi spark to 10,000 rpm and its programmable advance curves with one moving part....and weber dft strip to straight carb are non honda parts

the most bang is the weber center mounted 2 stage carb and fixes the weakest link in the honda stock setup ...this is not to discount the c5 ... it more about discounting honda cv carbs there junk in comparison ... idont care what otheres say ... i just totally differ and have dyno dog hooch bike to prove it ...everything dan said about his set up is true with me also ... this is the most flawless running bike ive ever had with no weak spots ... there are some new here who havnt seen hooch vid so i posted it again ... that was a great day that came out well ...mostly talking video contraption i rigged up...

personally i will never tell a oldwinger to fix there cv carbs as best thing for it ... its simply just not true in any way shape or form ... i know there are ones that prefer stock ... and that great .. but most just want there old bike to run the best they can get it ...with a little self teaching and this forum help and info its easy to beat stock bigtime ...best bang for buck i know of in oldwing modding :thanks: to all that go the dark carb side and feel the power

Yeah it's funny, I have mentioned to Joe that a couple times after I redlined and beyond this 1200 with the stock valve train that evidently the hydraulic adjusters couldn't keep up and I lost compression on at least one cylinder.
It took letting rpm come back down for compression to recover but it goes to show that a single carb setup can outperform other parts of the engine (the next weak link in the chain) and that there is so much more can be pulled from these engines that Honda choked back to meet EPA or satisfy liability lawyers or whatever.

That is a very strange feeling of vibration when a valve gives up and you loose compression.
This engine may just get 1100 heads and 1000 cams afterall.

Funny too what Joe, myself and others have discovered about the single carb, some true and some simply evil attempts at trying to stop it and our efforts here.

One I have to laugh is my 1" runners that cm85 insisted would be too small.
Laughable.
On 1100 with stock heads and cams, with early 1000 cams, and now running on this 1200.
Off the line launch is entertaining with other bikes at a stop light when the light turns green.
Most let up the throttle when I glance at them in my mirror lol.
I expect when if I make this thing breath better with the early cams and heads I'll have to mod the input side but not sure since I'm keeping stock quiet exhaust.

Howdy All ! Dan is dead on, if not for you guy's.. mine would still be in the junk pile!! i have over 20,000 miles with my home built intake and a out of the box Tom's carb(with the second barrel unhooked and Love this thing! as you said, in the arizona climate, i did away with the intake heat when i installed the 83 engine and every trip(150 miles a day) i use 3.6 to 3.7 gallon's per trip @65 to 80 mph and this old beater is trouble free. i have done 5 of these single carb intakes for friends and not one of them would ever go back to orig. carbs. Not saying the single is better( but it is!!!) just not worn out.. Thank You All Again. Wish i would have made Vegas but i got side tracked in Kingman :cool:

40+ mpg on your naked right?
Mine is full dress with a tall shield.
I know dress is heavy.
I've riden a few naked's, big difference in the agility.

That's cool you've done 5 others.
Same design?

i do have saddle side bag's and a old flh style wind shield but not near the lbs of a dresser! I have been watching you folks (joedrum) about the 1500 rear wheel conversion! the taller gear has my interest as i want to get rid of more rpm at 75/80 mph. the 83 engine made a big change but i sure would like to get it to 3800 rpm at 75 mph... great dream eh?... i have one of the single carb bikes running a 1bbl holley off a early slant 6 mopar. with a few jet changes it works bitchen. All with the same intake as mine. Again,,, all thanks to you folks and your Classic web site Thx Man!
saab 008.JPG

Are you trying to hide our forum from the 5 guys you built singles for? Surely one is interested in learning more.

i tell every one about this place!! i guess they aren't interested in the internet? some folks are really set in their way's. I told them to give it a chance as this is the only place i have seen with out the bashers or haters for some one's opinion.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133418#p133418:muwyy7ct said:
sgq700 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:39 am[/url]":muwyy7ct]
i tell every one about this place!! i guess they aren't interested in the internet? some folks are really set in their way's. I told them to give it a chance as this is the only place i have seen with out the bashers or haters for some one's opinion.
:smilie_happy: Agreed. Sad but true. No offense intended btw just having a little fun. :thanks:

wel there is going to be huge push here to make sure that when people come here ...there going to get strait up info ...with what there dealing with when it comes to making oldwings good for the times we live in ....and also make sure they know where the oldwings flaws are and how much it hurts the motors power and reliability of the oldwings ....

this is like a dark side tire deal on bikes ...eggheads weigh in and run there mouth about stuff with no clue what so ever of what there talking about .......truth is listening to sales pitches to sale something is not info in any form ....

i invite anyone to challenge the positions here ..as we present them to our sponsors ...the members :thanks:

when,i first saw it.i thought,lost of power.going from 4,carbs to 1.but my brother,was right..he bought-it on e-bay 3 years ago.,and did not put it on his bike. :builder: .i put it,on my 1200 and it was awsum.now.i have put it on my 1100.very fast,and reliable.. :music:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133446#p133446:3urpdmjg said:
tom foreman » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:34 am[/url]":3urpdmjg]
when,i first saw it.i thought,lost of power.going from 4,carbs to 1.but my brother,was right..he bought-it on e-bay 3 years ago.,and did not put it on his bike. :builder: .i put it,on my 1200 and it was awsum.now.i have put it on my 1100.very fast,and reliable.. :music:
Yes I think the general belief is that going from more to less will mean you get less but in the case here with the vacuum operated slides that rely on vacuum first to allow the fuel air charge to be introduced into the engine, there lies the big difference.
The single does not have this delayed effect, the charge is there right away with no delay.

Now fitting 4 cable operated slides would really be something I'd bet would blow both systems away.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133450#p133450:35v8kxik said:
dan filipi » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:55 am[/url]":35v8kxik]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133446#p133446:35v8kxik said:
tom foreman » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:34 am[/url]":35v8kxik]

Now fitting 4 cable operated slides would really be something I'd bet would blow both systems away.

The Suzuki GS750 and 850 I had were late '70s so had the cable operated slides (I think they were called VM carbs...later models had CVs). I was very impressed with how simple and trouble-free they were. And I have thought it would be interesting to adapt a set to the GW. The hardest part would be the throttle linkage: on the GSs there is a common shaft that runs through the top of the 4 carbs. For the GW there would be a common shaft for each pair of carbs and then some kind of lever/rod link between the 2 shafts.

Also I'm not sure how these VM carbs would match up to GW manifolds.

Would be interesting to get hold of a rack of these carbs.

There are probably some good reasons for it but I can't figure out why everyone went to CV carbs. Suzuki went to CVs in the early 80s and the vast majority of carb issues over on the GS Resources Forum are with the CV carbs. The earlier VM carbs just worked (as long as all passages are clear and there are no vacuum leaks...like any carb.)

Honda went to the CVs way earlier because even the first '75 GWs used them. Did the CBs of the same period use CVs?

Brian

Latest posts