The Wanderer - Part 2

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are thinking weak spark, check the 12 VDC power to the coils. Coils are designed to operate with 12 VDC and anything less reduces the efficiency and effectiveness of the spark. Old wire and parasitic losses from other items being supplied from the same wire reduces the voltage to the coils. If you do not have 12 VDC at the coils, or as close as possible, you may want to run a new switched 12 VDC supply to the coils.

I pulled the main jet and reduced it a few sizes. Now it cuts out when i release the clutch. If the plugs were not fouling, i would say this jet is too small. The original that is. Doesn't make any sense at all.

Adjust the air mix screw to fastest idle. Reset idle and try again. If better but not right still add a little more throw to the accelerator pump.

Update. This bike was starving for fuel :clapping: I was going down on the main jet size and got to the point where she wouldn't even idle. Decided to go up from the stock ( this is a 34 pic 3) which was 127 to around 130 and she is running fast as hell. No stumbling when i open the throttle all the way. Have not checked the plugs so I'm hoping they are not fouling.

That's it for now. will buy new plugs tomorrow, take her out again and hope for the best. Very fast though, could not believe how fast she takes off with this single carb :music:

P.s. the bike is stripped down. i taped an led flashlight to the front for safety, you should see the looks on the road. Mad max galore :moped:

80 is a surprisingly fast bike for it's size. Keep at the carb. Once you get it right you'll be one very happy rider.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=187916#p187916:2ff17stm said:
slabghost » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:28 pm[/url]":2ff17stm]
80 is a surprisingly fast bike for it's size. Keep at the carb. Once you get it right you'll be one very happy rider.
Agreed! We just had our restored '81 on the road it and sure is a hang on real tight kinda bike! :yes:

Can only imagine, :hihihi: i've owned two, with good functioning stock carb set ups that ran very well. :yes: Much faster off the line than the 1200's, but like the old 411 rear ends, they wound out very fast, & topped out fast as well. :roll: If this set up feeds the motor more fuel, & it's not too rich, you BETTER hang on. :smilie_happy: :good:

Well, i didn't have a chance to check the plugs today because i just wanted to ride and ride i did. Other than the loud rattling sound( which i'm getting used too) she is still running great. I went all over town but was careful to take the back roads as i don't have it registered yet, heck i don't even have a title for it( probably why i got it so cheap ). Little risky i know but i just want to ride. :moped:
The bike has no lights either and the brakes suck. Call it what you may, i just had to ride. :moped: Also the front forks are shot but I just had to ride. :moped:
I'm thinking she wouldn't be running this well if the plugs fouled already but i will check tomorrow.

If plugs have not fouled I will start on getting a rebuilt title, then rebuild the above deficiencies mentioned.

After its all said and done, I will just ride and ride and ride.............. :moped: :moped: :ahem:

I love your threads. You are not afraid to try things, accept the advice you get here and know your limitations. The last part is my downfall. I attempted the SCC but gave up for expediency. Maybe next winter (if I still have this 1100) I will try it again. I have a feeling you will end up with a good machine when you're done.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=188001#p188001:2q1nzxzq said:
wedoo2 » Today, 6:47 am[/url]":2q1nzxzq]
I love your threads. You are not afraid to try things, accept the advice you get here and know your limitations. The last part is my downfall. I attempted the SCC but gave up for expediency. Maybe next winter (if I still have this 1100) I will try it again. I have a feeling you will end up with a good machine when you're done.

Glad you enjoy the thread(s). Bike is still running nicely. New parts for front forks are on the way.
Now for a theme mmmmmmmmmmmmm....................... What should i turn her into ?...........

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186940#p186940:iagrus31 said:
dan filipi » February 12th, 2017, 4:18 pm[/url]":iagrus31]
If it's leaking slightly run with it for awhile. Mine leaks after parked awhile but stops after I run it regularly.

You were right. No more leaking now that she's out and about. :moped:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=188019#p188019:1hoiqu1w said:
made2care » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:03 pm[/url]":1hoiqu1w]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=188001#p188001:1hoiqu1w said:
wedoo2 » Today, 6:47 am[/url]":1hoiqu1w]

Glad you enjoy the thread(s). Bike is still running nicely. New parts for front forks are on the way.
Now for a theme mmmmmmmmmmmmm....................... What should i turn her into ?...........

This is a nice build style although I'd prefer a bit more seat padding.
honda-gold-wing-cafe-racer.jpg

Latest posts