Working on my solex mod

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160986#p160986:1fofich9 said:
joedrum » Today, 9:29 am[/url]":1fofich9]
so this is with the .035 jet ...or we still waiting for that
Still waiting the 37mpg is with a plugged 40

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160863#p160863:24sdm6fi said:
brianinpa » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:52 am[/url]":24sdm6fi]
I wish I would have paid more attention in German class!

34PICT-3Jets.jpg

34PICT-3IdleAndPowerFuelSchematicGerman.jpg

34PICT-3IdleCircuit-S.jpg

whats your idle and main jet brian ?....seems a lot give up on this carb and i cant figure why, it looks easy to adjust ...... :popcorn:

If I am seeing my idle jet correctly - 558 is stamped into it. I haven't pulled the main jet to have a look at it yet. It's been a long weekend at work and I am waiting for a micro drill set before I do anything further. The last time I rode the bike there was a lot of popping and back-firing going on, so I need to take a look for other problems now also in addition to jet sizes.

do you know the pin im talking about brian?....on 1100s it like the pin is to small to begin with......hmmmmmm you need to be careful here brian id say you might be right and it probably is carb ...you should take plugs out and see how sooty they look .....you can ruin the bottom end here brian if your not careful ....all it takes is one fire in wrong spot and it will toast a rod bearing ......can you get to back of motor now ?,,,,this has taken out its share of wing motor for sure

95% sure it isn't the ignition Joe. I have a leaking gasket for one and when I went to pull the main jet, I first removed the main jet cover plug. I had rusty fuel come out of the bowl. Time to rebuild.

Well got the jets in finally! put the 40 in had problems with power, wouldnt go uphill at low speed without stalling so widened it a little with a welding tip cleaner it runs ok now but mileage still sucks. There are differences between the jets the new ones have bigger holes on the sides and the tip is different so I dont know how that affects the sealing.

Attachments

• IMG_0372.JPG
    IMG_0372.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 151
Well the jet is an idle jet, which could affect acceleration some when smaller but the primary jet needs to be looked at also. Maybe larger but leave the idle alone.
Jets work together as a transition from idle to primary.

The difference in that jet could be a problem.

Well I still have the Holley and the CI manifold, just got the rebuild kit for the Holley so I might see if the Holley will play after a rebuild. At least I have a back up bike so I can commute on it while I tinker with the Goldwing.

ok this is carb tuning it is the most important thing on any motor period as in running right ...this a solex as i look at it it has a second adjustable jet in the idle circuit ..i explained earlier in a post this is a carb with all the adjustments and you didnt go there ...you should have open the screw up and that would bring in more gas just off idle ....carburator is what made a motor even work.....the problem with single and stock carbs is no one gets how important this is in our day of plug and play tech ....

you made a bad move here ...its foolish to think that somehow the carb is not right ...the solex is totally adjustable to the oldwing motor ....and is not a epa nightmare carb that has to modded to work ....im sorry you got off track but you did ....after the carb idles good ..the idle jet plays no part in off idle operation ...to have a over rich situation help off idle performance is not dialing it in ...its creating bad mpg ....to expect mpg of a cv type carb is also unrealistic ....there slow acting and will always beat strait carb with the discount of power loss plain and simple ....it totally why oldwings struggle to about 3000rpm before they really get going ...not a discount im saying ..just the facts ....

past the idle you address other parts of the carb to get what they control ...carb tuning is a art....but its not really that hard on this carb ...there people out there that have great running solexs ...thats proof enough ..... :thanks: