Would you do it?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of people post pictures similar to this:

1800 tire.jpg

The claim is that it makes changing the rear tire easier. So, would you lay your bike on the side to do any maintenance to it?

Just curious...

H :sensored: L NO!! :nea: At least, not intentionally!
I've heard of guys doin that too. Just not an option for me, but if someone else wants to do it with their own ride, more power to them.

Would not want to do it myself, :nea: but understand why a person might choose this way of doing things. :yes:Looks like they are using a rug, with the centerstand, & crash bar's, to protect the bike itself, WORKS :good: :hi:

I guess I have always looked at it as if you need to lay the bike over, you don't have the right tool... buy a lift. Oh and I am in he H :sensored:L NO NO NO NO camp...

Not sure if this counts........I've, on more than one occasion.......let my wife get off the bike while laying down on it's side like that.

(Not saying there may not have been an error on my part to put the side stand down before disembarking!) :hihihi: :smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=168917#p168917:2dqa9xrg said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:48 pm[/url]":2dqa9xrg]
Not sure if this counts........I've, on more than one occasion.......let my wife get off the bike while laying down on it's side like that.

(Not saying there may not have been an error on my part to put the side stand down before disembarking!) :hihihi: :smilie_happy:

That's different... the bike took a nap!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=168917#p168917:29xp2ab4 said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:48 am[/url]":29xp2ab4]

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Always thinking of your good lady, such a gentleman Gerry :good:

I did it to get at the centerstand on my 1100, it caused no issues. Put an old rug down, layed it gently over on the guards.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=168934#p168934:24hjjp10 said:
Omega Man » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:33 pm[/url]":24hjjp10]
:nea: Fluids have a way of going into the wrong places when vehicle is off center like that.

~O~

Oh, but they will drain back to where they belong... or at least that is what is claimed... :nea:

NO. Chain the front wheel down and pick up the back with a cherry picker. Use jack stands and never get directly under the bike. (There's a Safety guy watching you!!)

Framed a steel beam into the rafters about 20 years ago, to safely lift bikes with a chain hoist, & straps. :heat: Biggest drawback was central bike area was occupied with the bike & supporting of it, as lifting area was limited to this area. :headscratch: Table can be moved, so work area can be off to the side, & space is better utilised. :good:Hated to give up the floor space for the table, :roll: but love the darn thing. :smilie_happy: