Windows 10 upgrade

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
So...it says Windows Media Center will be deleted, and W10 does not have it. What th heck does that MEAN? :headscratch: Does it mean I won't be able to BURN DVDs? It says it will not PLAY them, but says nuttin about burning.
I'm so confused....don't know iffin I wanna upgrade or not.... :laptop: :help:

I supposedly get a free upgrade to 10 since I already have Windows 7.

My windows 7 works great.
I'll not upgrade to 10 until it's been out awhile and I see that's it IS actually an "upgrade".

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150215#p150215:291zuz6s said:
toytender01 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:48 pm[/url]":291zuz6s]
I have XP and a new IP :Awe: :Awe: :head bang: :head bang: :read: :read: :heat: :heat: :lazy: :lazy: :rtfm: :rtfm: :rtfm: :rtfm: :rtfm: :rant: :rant:
Not even the hardware is compatable to 8.1

Oh my. :?

I reserved 10 for both my PC and lappy just in case it's a good upgrade to get it for free, but will also wait and see before installing.

~O~

I had windows 7 and my son installed windows 8 and about 2 months ago installed 10 and I'm still lost since windows 7. I only surf web and know how to get on it and thats about it. The only reason we have windows 10 already is son works for microsoft.
My main think with 8 and 10 is you better with a touch screen. I'm just running a pc,mouse and monior and its hard to move around using mouse compared to touch screen. Son as no problem with it at all. Just my 2 cents.

Just did an all in one for my 75 year old Mother In Law since she needed a new computer and destroys most of the ones she has had. (Like to unplug them while running!!)

We bought an HP with no touch screen (since that would only confuse her more) and a 2 year Geek Squad all covered warranty so she can take it in to be fixed WHEN she breaks it.

It came with 8.1 which is a far improvement over 8 if for no other reason is that when it starts up (because there is no touch screen) it boots right to a desktop that is identical to Win 7 in all of the normal desktop functionality. There is an arrow that you can click to pull up the active tiles of the original Win 8 startup screen (I forget what that stupid screen was called).

I also am very productive with a mouse an keyboard an absolutely abhor touch screen "tiles", sliding, swiping, flicking or whatever it is you do on touch screens to make them work. HELLO Microsoft!!! I have greasy fingers!!!!!!!! I have to use a Blackberry for work and that whole touchscreen nonsense kills me!! I have to clean and wipe the screen CONSTANTLY just to get it to work and now they want all computers to be touch screen?? :whip: :rant: (Okay, rant over.......I hate touch screens!!)

I also have Win 7 and it works like a champ! I have read that MS is going to distribute 10 as a free upgrade, but they know it is buggy big time. MS intends to allow the upgrade and immediately require downloading patches for the corrections.

As far as Media Center, it is my understanding that all functionality will cease with 10. Also, 10 will require you to accept that MS automatically update your OS with MS Windows updates whether you want them or not. You will not be able to control when the updates download.

MS geeks":9ap6mdcs said:
Windows Media Center is not part of Windows 10 and won’t be available after upgrading to Windows 10. If you use Windows Media Center, we will alert you during upgrade that Windows Media Center is not available on Windows 10. We know that some users use Windows Media Center to play DVDs, and we are providing a free DVD playback app in Windows 10 for Windows Media Center users.

I spent prolly an hour on the MS tech forums earlier, and I know even less now than I did before. From what I gather, you won't even be able to make a recovery disc if your machine takes a doo-doo, or if you want to change the HD, or for any other reason....because the DVD player is not supported. You will have to use an external drive/thumbdrive. I also saw that the "upgrade" may also eliminate the partitioned section of the HD, effectively deleting your original software package, so a full resto from the partition(which I have had to use before) will not work. Supposedly, however, if you don't like the W10 upgrade, you can still roll back to the original W7/8/8.1.
I did reserve mine, but not sure if I wanna let it install..... :headscratch:

I'll keep Windows 7 and be trying out Xubuntu, it's more user friendly than regular Ubuntu. I have the 'Live CD' Xubuntu and have been reading at the Ubuntu forum.

Latest posts