8 days,8 states,2400 miles,27 year old bike and a 11 year old son.What was I thinking!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tory

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Accually,everything went better than I could have hoped.
We left Michigan friday afternoon,june 25,with troubles already intering Indiana.The intercom quit working in one helmet and that would make a long trip.Fortunitly I remembered SIERRA electronics was somewhere (troy) in Ohio, so I called home and had my wife find an address on the web,and detoered a bit and lucky for me they where there on saterday.They happily checked my system,diagnosed the problem(lower cord)and warrenteed the part with no cost to me.Great people.

We ran straight south through Ohio to the Ohio River where we got a great lunch at a little river side shack,then crossed over into Kentucky and headed for the hills so to speak.

We crossed east into West Virginia and rode 52 through the mountains all the way south through Virginia I dont think I touched 5th gear anywhere in those two states but what a ride.

Interesting story in West Virginia,when we finally found a motel(middle of nowhere) saterday night in gilbert WV the clerk looked at my license staired at me,and as serious as Ben Stien said "Michigan!The man that just killed my dog was from Michigan!" :shock: as if I wasnt nervous enough after wacthing "Wrong Turn" two weeks ago.But they turned out to be great folks and we enjoyed are evening sitting on straw bails around a camp fire and they no longer hate all michigan folks anymore.Just the one. :salute:

Sunday got hot so we jumped up on 77 into North Carolina straight to charlotte to see the NASCAR Hall of Fame.Man was it hot out.Then started east acrossed North Carolina to Jacksonville where my oldest son is stationed(Camp Lejuene).Hit a little rain,but it was welcomed in that heat.

We stayed in Jacksonville Monday,Tuesday,and Wednesday.Chilled a bit monday,toured the base tuesday and Rode done to willmington wednesday to tour the USS North Carolina battleship and a quick ride into South Carolina for lunch just to say we where there. :lol:

Thursday morning we started up the outer banks to Poplar Branch where "Diggers Dungeon" is(GRAVE DIGGER monster truck)for jake,and we where fortunete to have met a couple drivers.

We took 60 straight across virginia and back through the mountains to 35 in West Virginia along the New River and into ohio.Another great ride.

From there we just started aiming back home through Ohio and Indiana.

We mostly stayed on the back roads and two lanes and had the time of our life.We met many wonderfull people and had little trouble.The tach quit working in North Carolina,The bike vapor locked a little with the heat in Charlotte but I beat the coal dust out of the air filter,filled her up with a cool tank of 87,and she ran great from that point on.And I lost a fender to my trailor somewhere in indiana coming back.

But I cant wait to get back to the Virginia's.Most beutifull place in the world.Perhaps when the wife is able to ride again we will hit the Blue Ridge :clapping:

Attachments

• New River Gorge.jpg
    New River Gorge.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 184
  • Diggers Dungeon.jpg
    Diggers Dungeon.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 179
  • A.A.V.jpg
    A.A.V.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 181
  • 100 degrees.jpg
    100 degrees.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 180
  • hall of fame.jpg
    hall of fame.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 180
  • mountain morning.jpg
    mountain morning.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 178
  • sierra.jpg
    sierra.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 174
Not only do you have my bike, but you're from my home! (I grew up in South Monterey, north of Allegan and west of Hopkins. Played "Pony League" baseball in Burnips for Dick Weick.)
The Virginias ARE pretty places, but don't go giving away the "most beautiful place" top spot until you've at least toured Tennessee, okay? Heck, once you've traveled it the whole 700 or so miles east to west, you might have to give it two or three top spots!
Anyway, sounds like a great trip, the type of which I hope to emulate before long.

Sounds like ya'll had a blast!!! :music:
We were just up in West Verjenny in April, and went to the New River Gorge bridge, and had a pic-a-nick under it. Fantastic scenery, for sure! Mama is from WV, btw.
Glad ya'll had a good time, and made it back home safely! :clapping:
NRGwv.JPG

oldhack62":2rk81ygu said:
Not only do you have my bike, but you're from my home! (I grew up in South Monterey, north of Allegan and west of Hopkins. Played "Pony League" baseball in Burnips for Dick Weick.)
The Virginias ARE pretty places, but don't go giving away the "most beautiful place" top spot until you've at least toured Tennessee, okay? Heck, once you've traveled it the whole 700 or so miles east to west, you might have to give it two or three top spots!
Anyway, sounds like a great trip, the type of which I hope to emulate before long.

I knew we had the same bike,but had no idea you where from right up the road!literally :music: If you ever viset home for any reason look me up,Im down the hill,just behind the creamery.The Weick Bros. are good custemers of mine.A bit of contraversy in monteray recently.There attemting to put a wind farm there witch has promted a recall of half the board.

You probably right about tennessee,wasnt able to make it that far this trip.Next one well follow the blue ridge all the way down,and spend some time there.

dan filipi":12si1cl3 said:
Sounds like a great time Tory.
To me, that time spent one on one with one of the kids is the best part of it all! :salute:

Very true.
My three older kids are out on there own so jake gets lots of special attention,although I first planned on going alone (to see my older son)I am glad jake came along.He did great,he tired out about 6:eek:o-7:00 pm at night,and was a bit slow getting going in the morning compared to what Id of done alone,but the shared experiance is priceless,and he has learned a ton about the differant geography of our great country.

Beautiful pictures Tory , we have rode parts of the Blue Ridge Parkway from Cherokee NC ( the bottom end ) several times, but we have talked about riding it all with this Goldwing , I think the Parkway is like 469 miles end to end . and it's all curves and mountains , and I'm not sure but I think the speed limit is about 30 mph on most or maybe All of it . so....... if you stay anywhere close to the speed limit , ( and thats really the only way to see the sights anyway ) then it will take some time to ride it end to end. I have been working on a Video Camera holder for the Goldwing so I can make some videos of riding the Parkway too. .......... but anyway , Beautiful Pictures. :music:

dang tory thats just to much fun .....considering your bike was down and out just a few weeks ago this had to be the best for you ......lots of miles and no trouble ..... these wings are so impressive when it comes to touring ......great pics and story :mrgreen:

joedrum":1kgtwjsl said:
dang tory thats just to much fun .....considering your bike was down and out just a few weeks ago this had to be the best for you ......lots of miles and no trouble ..... these wings are so impressive when it comes to touring ......great pics and story :mrgreen:

This was the main reason for the work on the bike that got me into trouble in the first place.I needed to cram 1000 miles on her before I left to insure it was fixed,

Aparently it is.Even in the spoldering souther heat she stayed about half gauge at the hottest and is still full of coolant.

Do for a wash and another LOF already though.

Sounds like you had a great trip Troy.like you said priceles. your son will remember this trip for the rest of his life and one day will look back and tell his wife and kids about it.

OldWrench":ak8bj6hd said:
My goodness Troy sounds like you had a wonderful time. Really inspiring me to do some long distance riding. Thanks for the post and pictures.

Go for it,Im ready to go again,just need to build back up the vacation fund back up.Honestly,I could have continued another week,1 week is just way to short for all there is to see.

Latest posts