'83 Floats sinking me

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well gang I finally got the parts for the float seats, got everythig put back together and IT RUNS!!
This poor bike has never idled so sweat and the flat spot from idle to acceleration is gone. Thnaks for all of your previous posts. Thet were all very helpful.

on another note to the site admin. I posted a reply to LittleBeaver's post and I never saw it.

Thanks again

Dale

hello everyone. well today i took the bike for its first test ride following the new carb build. It runns like never before. Fantastic. I have not sync'ed the carbs just yet but the idle is as smooth as a sewing machine and the acceleration is sharp.
BUT, when running following the ride (and before the test ride in the initial startup) it seems to be running very rich ie. lots of exhaust output. She runs so good. Any ideas from you carb guys? I feel that I need to adjust the mains mixture, but I see no way of doing this. the floats are now coorectly set to 15.5mm and the new float seats are working well.
even if I turn the petcock off and run on the fuel in the bowls I get the over-rich exhaust.

By the way I would like to do something I very rarely do ---- I would highly recommend the Randakk's carb rebuild kit and book. The kit was VERY WELL packaged and complete. And the book was really clear and detailed for the rebuild. Great products.

Anyway I'm out tocontinue the clean up and testing.

Shiny side up

Dale

Hi folks,

I have rebuilt many 1100 sets and like Randakks no other N/Seats will function equal to OEM. Time is money so if its not OE, don't use it. Fudged float settings is an alternative but a PTO none the less.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22830#p22830:12y1c9ll said:
dalesmith » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:13 pm[/url]":12y1c9ll]
hello everyone. well today i took the bike for its first test ride following the new carb build. It runns like never before. Fantastic. I have not sync'ed the carbs just yet but the idle is as smooth as a sewing machine and the acceleration is sharp.
BUT, when running following the ride (and before the test ride in the initial startup) it seems to be running very rich ie. lots of exhaust output. She runs so good. Any ideas from you carb guys? I feel that I need to adjust the mains mixture, but I see no way of doing this. the floats are now coorectly set to 15.5mm and the new float seats are working well.
even if I turn the petcock off and run on the fuel in the bowls I get the over-rich exhaust.

By the way I would like to do something I very rarely do ---- I would highly recommend the Randakk's carb rebuild kit and book. The kit was VERY WELL packaged and complete. And the book was really clear and detailed for the rebuild. Great products.

Anyway I'm out tocontinue the clean up and testing.

Shiny side up

Dale

very good post as it discribe everything ... id say it is running rich ...rich is lack of air ... go to your sync screws and turn each one 1/4 turn and relock them ... tis moves the throttle plate slightly and brings air to the game to lean it out .. this will probably really make it run even better...personally im the type of guy who uses no sync gauges and stuff pass bench setting it all by feel and ear... just be careful where thing are if it dont work for you it should be easy to put back ... :builder: :mrgreen:

Latest posts