Aux. fuel tank

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiri251

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the addition of the sidecar (as in my avator), the fuel mileage will suffer. I am thinking about attaching aux. fuel tank under the sidecar tub.

I think this is nice and cheap.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/pc/...r+3+Gallon+Above+Deck+Portable+Fuel+Tank.html

The question is, can I just hookup aux tank to GL inlet with Y connector? Can GL fuel pump handle it? The tank position would be almost the same or slightly lower than the main tank.

seems like it would be fine. would be easy enough to test it... could try it with anything set right on the ground, and connect the inlet from the fuel pump..
it would be neet if you could mount this tank so the level was very close to the onboard tank... and T it to the line before the fuel pump.. that way the sender would read the level of both tanks and you would have a more accurate gauge.
if the extra tank was totally below the onboard you'll have a hard time telling when your about to run out of gas...
because you'll have 3gallons below empty on the gauge.

i think it would br easy to hook up ......but i think the safety thing is a huge consideration here .....the goldwing has to be considerd one of the safest setup being so centerd and at the strongest part of the bike .....spreading to the sidecar spreading the danger to both places ......id rather stop and get gas instead.....

Went through the first tank full of gas today after attached the sidecar. Gas mileage was 30 MPG. That means 120 miles or so before reserve. Can't be called a touring bike with this number.

The safety issue of aux tank usually comes up in sidecar forum. In my case, it's surrounded by 1-1/2" square tubing so it should be safer than a gas can on top of sidecar trunk, motorcycle rear seat etc.

On the other hand, I guess I can just stop for gas. Then that space under the tub can be used for heavy stuff like bottle jack and tools..

skiri,
would you consider a fuel cell? I'm with joe on the safety part. you don't want your custom side car to lower the safety of the bike as a whole. I know many sidecars have aux tanks, probably not as safe as a fuel cell.
small cells aren't as expensive as the larger ones, and would be considerably safer than the on-board fuel tank even.
the trick is how to fill it, and how to read the level of the fuel.

jdegase":k2o6dvdm said:
skiri,
would you consider a fuel cell? I'm with joe on the safety part. you don't want your custom side car to lower the safety of the bike as a whole. I know many sidecars have aux tanks, probably not as safe as a fuel cell.
small cells aren't as expensive as the larger ones, and would be considerably safer than the on-board fuel tank even.
the trick is how to fill it, and how to read the level of the fuel.

By fuel cell, do you mean a bladder for racing cars?
I googled it but the search only came up hydrogen/oxigen kind of things.

yes, a bladder type built for racecars or other motosports.
basically these are a metal box, with a high quality liner, and an outlet of some sort that seals down the whole thing.
I'll see if I can find a couple links..
they use small versions in gocarts, sand buggys, and drag cars. dont need much fuel to go 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile.

Latest posts