Brake bleeding (what's the secret)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitz2at

Reaction score
I have spent about and hour trying to bleed the front brakes on my 81' to no avail! All of the calipers have been rebuilt and I went through 1qt of dot 3 on just the fronts with no progress. I have tried pumping the lever and cracking the line loose at the master cylinder then moved on to the calipers but still can't get a firm lever. Hell I even tried my Phoenix injector with the reverse bleed procedure but still no firm lever! What gives? :rant:

Fitz

If memory serves you need to remove the top caliper bolt and tip the calipers back to get the bleeders straight up to bleed the last of the air out. If they still aren't tight pull in the brake handle about halfway and tie it there overnight. If there is any air in the lines it should return to the master reservoir that way.

Agreed....tip the caliper up so that the bleeder screw is at the top! Also, you can take the calipers off, push the pistons in all the way and clamp them there so they do not move and then bleed them. Best way to get any air our trapped in the cylinders.

We use a three step Process - Start by bleading the master at the Banjo bolt. Secondly bleed the calipers as described above, thirdly you pull in the handle (pretty hard) Tie it off for a few hours (overnight is good) and that has worked everytime (for me anyways)

The tied lever has worked! I was skeptical at first but proven wrong. Now on to the rear.

Latest posts