fiberglass mod on my 76

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

who444444

Reaction score
Thought I'd post what I did to my 76 to show that yes any one can do fiberglass repair and mods.
My bike doesn't have a stock look already but I wanted to change it a bit more. So I decided to make my side covers and tank sides one piece.
here is a simple approach to fiberglass work.
1. mock up using some cardboard
2. cover cardboard with wax paper so resin doesn't stick to cardboard.
3. attach fiberglass cloth over wax paper.
4. mix resin and coat cloth.
5. repeat as needed.
6. use a fiberglass impregnated body filler product to deal with low spots in your work.
7. sand and paint.
Now I didn't have much fiberglass cloth around but I did have a roll of fiberglass drywall tape
and well it is fiberglass so what the heck. It worked pretty well and I saved some money 'cause where I was they wanted 25 bucks for a package of fiberglass cloth.
My bike is flat black which is very forgiving of imperfections. I am going to wet sand and re-coat the paint but wanted to quick paint it a go for a ride.
Now at my leisure I can pull covers and sand and paint 'till all the tiny problems are where I'm satisfied.
You can see them in the pics.
All that being said, It is easy enough that any one wanting to try glassing should go ahead and go for it.
Here's some pics.
dave

Attachments

• l side.jpg
    l side.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 208
  • r side.jpg
    r side.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 207
  • l side close.jpg
    l side close.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 204
  • r side close.jpg
    r side close.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 205
  • filler.jpg
    filler.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 209
  • l side2l.jpg
    l side2l.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 199
  • r side2l.jpg
    r side2l.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 205
  • l side1l.jpg
    l side1l.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 204
  • r side1.jpg
    r side1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 208
Oh, yes i forgot to mention I have had the hinge pins removed for a long time with no problem and with my fairing I can't tilt them down anyway. I just unscrew knob inside of false tank and turn pin on side cover and remove the whole piece as you would when you normally take off side cover. Also put hole in left side so I can turn petcock.
Dave

Figured that was what the hole is for... but was wondering about battery checks and other maintenance issues access.. thanks for explaining.. Looks rad

had some leftover resin and fiberglass tape and I felt like the rear fender didn't look like it fit the look I was going for so,
I used a shoe box for the shape and this is what I got.
glass, then body filler with cut fiberglass for low spots, then putty for pinholes and deep scratches, then sand-able primer.
btw 80 grit to shape glass 320 to sand body filler and/or putty and 500 on primer before topcoat.
here's pics

Attachments

• tail 7.jpg
    tail 7.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 165
  • tail 6.jpg
    tail 6.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 165
  • tail 5.jpg
    tail 5.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 162
  • tail 4.jpg
    tail 4.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 162
  • tail 3.jpg
    tail 3.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 162
  • tail 2.jpg
    tail 2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 160
  • tail 1.jpg
    tail 1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 163
Stock Harley mufflers off newer bike. Picked up cheap cause a lot of guys take them off for custom exhaust. Mad max was kinda what l was seeing in my mind when l started a custom look on the cheap.
Thanks for complements but was mainly wanting to show ease of fiberglass work and repair.
dave

forgot to say, long sleeves and gloves when working with fiberglass,
mask when sanding or grinding,
well ventilated area when using resin or painting,
blah, blah, blah,
safety glasses, if your like me and don't wear prescription glasses but use reading glasses for close up work,
I found some clear wrap around style safety glasses with a little reader area in the lower part of lens, sorta like bi-focals but not annoying like they can be.
Found them at welding supply shop. not expensive really. don't remember actual cost.
yet another problem with getting older,
dave

Attachments

• glasses2.jpg
    glasses2.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 132
  • glasses.jpg
    glasses.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 123

Latest posts