First freeze is on it's way...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure how cold it is where you all are but I'm watching the weather closely. It's only dropping to 40 degrees now but I'm starting my cold weather cares for old girlfriend. Tonight she gets blankets wrapped around her engine. Last year as some of you know I lost my O-rings the day after the first freeze.

~O~

I wish it was dropping to 40 degrees here. We had 27 this morning. It's been low in the twenties nearly every night for the last week. I keep my bikes in my heated garage....which is also my work shop/man cave!

Last Sunday before the ride I found antifreeze on top the engine right side. It had been fine for a year but as soon as the garage temp got down to 50 it leaked. This same side has been a problem at least 2 times so far.
I'm about ready to seal off those water jackets and run an air cooled engine. :shock:

dan filipi":2hgj4mh5 said:
Last Sunday before the ride I found antifreeze on top the engine right side. It had been fine for a year but as soon as the garage temp got down to 50 it leaked. This same side has been a problem at least 2 times so far.
I'm about ready to seal off those water jackets and run an air cooled engine. :shock:
be sure to do a project log with plenty of pic's dan :grin:

detdrbuzzard":3rr1ti7r said:
dan filipi":3rr1ti7r said:
be sure to do a project log with plenty of pic's dan :grin:

Yeah...let us know how that works out for ya... :smilie_happy: :fiddle: :heat:
It's been a little chilly here the past week or so..down in the high 30s a couple of times at night. I don't know what I'd do without a garage or some other kid of shelter for mine. My garage is only heated in the summertime, for some reason. In the wintertime, seems like the A/C is always on... :blush:

Yeah I figger with the radiator out of the way more air will blow over the engine and with the external alternator providing plenty of power I could create an array of fans, one on each side of the engine and a couple in front.
I've toyed with the idea of converting the radiator to an oil cooler, I'll start drawing plans right away.
Of course there will be plenty of pictures along the way.

Ya know what I just happened to think, I used to have a lucky penny lodged (stuck) to the engine block right below those water tubes but I removed the penny because someone said dissimilar metals in contact not a good thing.
Prolly why that side is giving me so much trouble.

Hmmm, now where did I put that penny..........

mount up an old vw engine. They are air cooled. Be very detailed in how you do it so I can follow you.

Something like this?

DSC00100.JPG

dan filipi":2gis7cpn said:
but I removed the penny because someone said dissimilar metals in contact not a good thing
Hmmm, now where did I put that penny..........

Ive heard that before,but didnt mother honda put a copper gasket on the oil drain plug and coolant drain plug?Brass floats in the carburator,copper windings in the starter/stator,brass rivets in the clutch,......

Im no engineer,but makes me think.

The dissimilar metal issue is related to copper and aluminum where they are in contact with each other and a liquid is present making a battery. When copper and aluminum are touching in liquid, it produces .06 volts minimum. It also causes that white flake stuff that looks like salt on the aluminum (which is corrosion). Get water in your gas (even a tiny bit) and leave it in your carb bowls for any amount of time and the dissimilar metals will start to break down and clog your jets. Leave the carbs for any length of time with just exposure to the moisture in air and you can see lots of corrosion develop inside.

Latest posts