FORK SEALS 1100 ISSUES

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBG

Reaction score
I have done this before with the forks off the bike, Gl1100 81, this time trying it with the forks on the bike. I have the wheel, calipers, fender, fork brace all off the bike is jacked up so I can slide the lower fork off the top slider..the hex bolt out of the bottom is out, the snap ring and backup plate..so now a few light bumps of the lower fork and it should pop the seal and the lower fork should side off..not happening

I have tried a lot of small bumps and some really big ones slamming the lower fork down and nothing..did I miss something or do I need a bigger hammer??? :-?

And now something has popped off inside I think maybe the lower bushing..from all my slamming the lower forks down in trying to pop the seal loose.

What could be holding the lower part of the forks on so tightly..besides the seal??

If the lower bushing has come off (I don't think the bushing could wear thin enough for this to be possible) the fork should slide apart, the damper rod would be rattling about at this stage.
I'd go with the 'bigger hammer' idea :)

Being the fork expert that I think I am.... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I can't think of anything that would keep the lower fork from coming off the tube. I do know if you bang it too hard, and you're pulling the lower fork off at a different angle than the fork tube, the metal spacers, seal, and such will bind up causing the lower fork to not come off easily. I would pull the fork off the bike, put the lower fork in a vise, and just keep slide hammering the tube until it comes out. I bet it's bound in that area right where the seal is.

If it is, you'll probably gouge up that little area where the seal mounts in the lower fork from all the heavy tugging. Just get a file and file the raised edges of the gouge down until it's smooth to the touch. I wouldn't try to smooth out the gouge to make it disappear because you might make the area out of round so the seal wont fit snugly.

The only thing about banging it hard to get the tube and bushing out is with all the kinetic energy you building up, and if the sleeve is a little worn, the sleeve might slide through the bushing, leaving the bushing in the fork. The only way I found to get this out is to cut it out with a hacksaw blade, ruining the bushing. I would go ahead and order a new bushing and sleeve just in case, so you're not having to wait too long for parts to show up in the mail. Been there, done that.

Oh, and double check to make sure you pulled the hex bolt out :yahoo:

which side are you having trouble with?? i have a match ?? pair of frks.. except the one with the airvalve has something busted in it and it sags.. but the other side (left) is still springy and has resistance and springback in both directions.. (taking up space.. can let it go for small cost recoup and shipping..pm me)

Attachments

• lopsided.jpg
    lopsided.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 110

Latest posts