Got it home, now what?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck c

Supporting Member
Reaction score
81 GL1100 that has been sitting for 3 years. Carbs are useless. Battery is a hunk of lead. No surprises there. The tires were put on just before it was parked and they are like new. I hooked up power and all but one of the lights work. It was able to crank, so the starter and engine are free. After I did the brake light test the bike became extremely hard to move. I suspect one or all of the brakes are stuck. How likely is that?

She'll need all fresh fluids of course. Clean out the tank and lines. What other things need to be done now?

Yup, you've got sticking brakes. Sitting for 3 years will do that. The calipers are pretty easy to rebuild, and everything is available. Hopefully, the master cylinders are OK, but you might want to rebuild 'em anyway. Don't write off the carbs until you've opened 'em up, they might be OK with a good cleaning. The timing belts should be replaced.

Both masters have small return holes that release the fluid back into the reservoir... think thin sewing needle.... they are that tiny and address extremely important to the release of the brake pads... in the front master it sits under the little metal piece near the large visible hole..

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=115041#p115041:358y5be2 said:
Joep » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:51 am[/url]":358y5be2]
Both masters have small return holes that release the fluid back into the reservoir... think thin sewing needle.... they are that tiny and address extremely important to the release of the brake pads... in the front master it sits under the little metal piece near the large visible hole..

Can you give me more detail on this? Are you saying those holes are clogged?
What it the shortest way to un-freeze them so I can move this monster? These things are heavy enough without the brakes on! Can I unbolt them and pry them off the disk?

Gotcha on the belts. They may have been replaced a few years back and still be safe, I will check with the PO. If there's any question I will do them.

1st check to see if the rear brake lever is stiff and stuck down. Lift the pedal and see if it rolls free again. Been a few recently post the rear brake lever stuck.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=115045#p115045:2tbpsyq7 said:
chuck c » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:15 am[/url]":2tbpsyq7]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=115041#p115041:2tbpsyq7 said:
Joep » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:51 am[/url]":2tbpsyq7]

Can you give me more detail on this? Are you saying those holes are clogged?
What it the shortest way to un-freeze them so I can move this monster? These things are heavy enough without the brakes on! Can I unbolt them and pry them off the disk?

Gotcha on the belts. They may have been replaced a few years back and still be safe, I will check with the PO. If there's any question I will do them.

The holes can become clogged. If they are, fluid cannot get returned to the reservoir and pressure is never relieved.

36801d1317383362-1983-gl1100i-front-master-cylinder-problems-100_1263-copy_resize.jpg

The quickest way to relieve the pressure (if that is the problem & and slabghost's solution didn't help) is break the banjo fitting loose to relieve the pressure. If that doesn't work, take the brake pads off and then you will have some mobility.

This is what I am tailing about.. though this it's an aftermarket one I put on my 81 it doesn't have the metal piece on it but shows the tiny hole... I had to clean my 85's hole.. started with a brad.. moved to a map pin/tack.. then a fine sewing needle.. and lots of brake cleaner... before it was clear...

Attachments

• Copy of 2011-03-03 17.00.13.jpg
    Copy of 2011-03-03 17.00.13.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 217
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=115062#p115062:1nmiyyxw said:
Joep » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:53 am[/url]":1nmiyyxw]
This is what I am tailing about.. though this it's an aftermarket one I put on my 81 it doesn't have the metal piece on it but shows the tiny hole... I had to clean my 85's hole.. started with a brad.. moved to a map pin/tack.. then a fine sewing needle.. and lots of brake cleaner... before it was clear...
file.php

What am I looking into there? is that the brake fluid res?

That was new.. before fluid added..lol I took that when I hit it because I heard about the joke but could never see it.. and thought others would benefit from a photo of one... normally they are blackened with hard crud in them..

And yes that is a new master cylinder that is all metal.. with the spyglass window... plastic is similar I believe.. just not this clean...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=115073#p115073:3a8pyek6 said:
chuck c » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:01 pm[/url]":3a8pyek6]
What am I looking into there? is that the brake fluid res?

Yes...that is the inside view. It''s a tiny widdle hole Joe is talking aboot. :good:
This is an aftermarket master, so it looks different, but the stock master also has this hole.

master.jpg

The tiny hole is called the spooge hole .... really.

The other way to move it is to crack the bleeders.

Gord

Thanks Joel.. I haven't lernt to add those thingamabobbies to photos yet...lol... and that sucker can bring your ride to a full dead stop and no go... I learned about this hole too late for my cb750.. kept loosening the banjo bolt..to free the front brakes... but that was 15 years ago...

I was occupied tonight and couldn't mess with it but tomorrow I will get to try freeing the brakes. I want to get it on the lift for a closer look at the engine area. I can't start tear-down for a while, I need to make some space for the parts I take off to keep them organized so I can find them later which could be months. I plan to take lots of pics to help me remember how it goes back together. I will post my progress and I'm sure I'll have many questions.

Latest posts