head gasket help

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
think the pic is upside down but thats how far off it was at first. still not sure how it moved.

Attachments

• phone 402.jpg
    phone 402.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 103
I suggest you remove that valve and check if it's straight. If it isn't I'm sure we can find one that is. 1060dsl and others seem to always have parts.

it probably didnt hit the pistons with the valves on one tooth off ,,,,still may have bad valve though

its not sounding good on the stuck valve thing ...might have to start over on this

i got a couple of questions:

1. was the valve your talking about "open" when you removed head?
2. did you loosen the rocker arms prior to removing the head and seeing this open valve.
3. after replacing the gasket and head, have you to this point attempted to turn the engine over by using the starter.(Don't)
4. or have you only turned the engine over by hand.
5. if you only turned it over by hand, did you feel any resistance
6. if you felt resistance, did you try to or accomplish to force the engine thru this resistance.
7. have you removed the head and have it off the engine now.
8. if so, is the valve still open in the same position.

yes the valve was open when i removed the head. but what i thought was tdc was not. i was just doing what someone was telling me to do. because my book sux. i have done nothing but put the gasket on and the head on. but it has moved. my husband says he didnt do it. i had put the belt on not tightend. someone took it off. and now is in a dif spot. but close to tdc as ive seen in pics now. i have lots of $ and time in this and its about to make me insaine. :Awe: :head bang: :crying: :rant:

Ok, I can imagine how you feel. It is very important that you answer each question I ask so we can determine if their was a problem with the valve before you ever removed the head. And please answer in the order I'm asking. there is a reason, please bear with me.

OK. From your answers it appears that the valve was either bent or stuck before you started working on it. Do you remember which valve it was, top two are intake, bottom two are exhaust, sitting on bike, on right side is front no.1 and rear no3, left side front is No. 2 and left rear is no. 4 cylinders

It's also possible that the valve was open because of, weak or broken valve spring.

Since you have already put the new head gasket and head back on, I'm assuming you have already torqued the head down. On the valve in question, the one that was open, you need to adjust the rocker arm for it to zero lash, ( no wobble at all) plus a couple or three turns. Only on this one valve. Remove the timing belt from this head and with your hand, turn the timing gear, watching the valve stem in the center of the valve spring to see if it moves up and down freely. Don't even worry or think about timing marks or anything else right now. Just make sure that the valve we are talking about is the only one that the rocker has been tightened up on. leave the other ones loose. I'll be back on here bout nine in morning and we will determine if the head has to come back off.

Sorry. I'm not close but I am interested in knowing where you purchased or intend to purchase your replacement head gasket from. Thanks.

Ok littlechick, I've had my coffee so what have you got accomplished from my last post. I don't know if you work during the day or not so I'll keep checking every little bit for your answer. They cut a fiber optic cable here yesterday so all internet and phone service was out till yesterday evening, it's been out once this morning already, so if I don't get right back to you that's why but I promise not to forget about this problem your having and will get back to you as soon as possible.

I've been reading your post :popcorn: Been there, done that.
I feel your pain Littlechick. When i replaced my timing belts I created the same situation your in. :head bang: :head bang: :head bang: I had to replace 2 valves. My right belt was off by 1 tooth. If you check my post , changed timing belts and now runs like crap, you can read all about it. I know it sucks but it really was a pretty easy fix. Hang in there, you can do it. :good:

MrB":q7ugicgn said:
Sorry. I'm not close but I am interested in knowing where you purchased or intend to purchase your replacement head gasket from. Thanks.
i ordered my head gasket from honda. the guy i bought the bike from had bought a cheap one and put it on. thats why im doing all this now. it was like 40 or 50 bucks for it. but its what should be on it. just think we sold the harley cause it cost so much to work on. LOL!

slabghost":2sodosxx said:
I suggest you remove that valve and check if it's straight. If it isn't I'm sure we can find one that is. 1060dsl and others seem to always have parts.
i have 3 extra engines as far as parts go. i have tons of other parts too. so im not worried about that. just hpoe i dont need em yet. people make fun for all the goldwing stuff i have. ya know how many 34 yr old ladies have a goldwing? LOL! and work on it themselves. but i love em. :lust: i like how versatle they r as far as looks. and they r supposed to run forever when you getem goin. :moped:

backlander":mgr4pdea said:
Ok littlechick, I've had my coffee so what have you got accomplished from my last post. I don't know if you work during the day or not so I'll keep checking every little bit for your answer. They cut a fiber optic cable here yesterday so all internet and phone service was out till yesterday evening, it's been out once this morning already, so if I don't get right back to you that's why but I promise not to forget about this problem your having and will get back to you as soon as possible.
havent done anymore yet. but i think it was the top back valve that was open. im hopeing that i just hadent been turned enough for it to close all the way. the guy i got it from said it wasnt a big deal. but i cant get him to come help me like he said he would.

Latest posts