How troublesome are the comstar wheels really?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54Greybeard

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read a couple of places that the comstar wheels are not the way to go. The rivets and such on my bike look good, but can you really tell? My main concern is, when I mount a sidecar, they will experience side stress which, no doubt, they were not designed to endure.

I've read the rivet issues were in the early Comstar wheels. I've no experience with those wheels but I do know a bit about rivets. Inspect them closely every few weeks. Look for any dark rings at the base. It will look oily if it appears. That indicates a rivet that has begun to loosen. If you notice the rings you may want to get other wheels.

It seems many like the look of the comstars so if you are a little doubtful on using them. You may want to sell them while they are still nice and go with later one piece mag wheels.

i have never seen a bad comstar wheell ive seen plenty of spoke wheels that were bad ...yes if you arte useing a side car one sould be concerned some but as a plus its easy to tell if a comstar wheel is going bad as slab has montion and much harder on other wheels ....theres a lot of info on the forums thats simply bs and has no bases at all and alot of good info .....comstars are lightess strongest motorcycle wheels of there kind and ive had the suppose bad early comstars for 33 yrs and they are absolutly great wheels period IMHO :mrgreen:

Latest posts