New 1500 Owner with a couple more questions

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcol

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I received my new to me 1992 1500 SE on Monday and I've been going over it and am learning a lot. There are a couple questions that I haven't found the answers for so here they are.

I noticed that the right hand passenger storage compartment on my bike will not open. The previous owners said that's the way the bike was built and that even though there is a release latch it is not meant to be a storage compartment and was just put there to match the other side. I find this strange but is that in fact the case? I'm wondering if they needed the space because the release lever for the passenger foot pedals is just below the compartment. Anyway I do not sit back there but I am curious about it. When showing the bike to my friends everyone always tries to open that compartment and it's sort of strange to tell them it's just there for show.

Number 2 - I was surprised to find that I don't have any rear speakers even though the enclosures are there. Again the PO said they were not there when he purchased the bike. I also note that there is no fader control on the radio which seems to suggest there might have been an upgraded radio that came with rear speakers? Does this radio have an output for a second set of speakers or would I need to run them in parallel with the existing set? Again this is not something that I'm planning to do but I am curious about it and if speakers can be added without hacking into the existing wiring I may consider it. I did remove the top of the left side enclosure and there is no sign of speaker wires.

BTW I did use the search button and came up empty on both questions but sorry if this has been asked before.

Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

Thanks

My 90 1500 has no rear speakers or fade button. But both storage compartments under where rear speakers would go open. This probably just confuses the issue. :headscratch:

being a 1500se you should have rear speakers. the fader knob should be either just below the key or on the side of switches above the hi beam / low beam switch. as for the compartment that won't open it is made to hold just as much as the left compartment, the latch is just stuck

Yes the SE comes with speakers in the rear. If there aren't any and coupled with the passenger storage door story which is a clear attempt at deception I'd have to wonder about the PO's honesty. I wonder if it's really an SE? Does it have the engine heat foot warmer vents?

You can buy aftermarket rear speakers that come with the wiring harness to connect them to the stereo, it's plug and play. The reason you didn't see the plug is because on non-SE models the connection plug is still wrapped with tape in the wiring harness, it can be difficult to find as the kit directions I had had me looking in the wrong spot, close but wrong.

https://wingstuff.com/products/36681-rea ... ers-gl1500

As for the lie about the storage door? The only things I can think of besides a stuck latch is a broken hinge tab caused the loss of the door on the road so after buying a replacement(I just did and a NOS door costs $50+) he glued the new door in place or he broke it himself and did the same. I plan to put small black metal hinges at the bottom of the pocket doors to prevent future loss.

~O~

Thanks for the comments. The person I bought the bike from is the second owner and was very good about telling me everything about the bike. He owned it since 2001 and has kept complete service records so I'm not to worried about these small issues. I'm sure the bike is an SE as it has the foot warmer ducts and two tone paint which I believe is another sign that it's and SE. Here's a picture.

20150503_130404.jpg

I sorted out the storage compartment. It had been sealed shut with a bead of silicon caulk. The hinge is broken. It looks like an easy fix so I will address that. As for the rear speakers - they are no where to be found and I have no fader control on the radio. Perhaps the first owner had an issue with the original radio and replaced it with a two speaker unit. It is a Honda OEM radio as it has the tape deck slot positioned the way I have seen on other Wings of this vintage. I'll dig in a little deeper this weekend and see if I can find the rear speaker wires. I'm picking up an air filter and spark plugs today so the project for the weekend will be to install those items. I believe the air filter requires that I move the radio out of the way so I will have a chance to have a good look at the speaker wires.

Latest posts