New coils

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkwilson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the 240-Z world--- There were electronic ignitions that had a mag sensor mounted on main crank, then were sent to the ignition unit then coils. As I remember, a six cyl had only 3 coils. Because when the cyl on compression fires and so does the cyl on exhaust it'd no big thing. Just fire them both. You only need three coils for 6 cyl's-RIGHT ??????

With the wasted spark system only 3 coils would be needed.

It sounds like old 240Z coils could work but are they the right resistance. We need something like .4 ohms primary resistance.

Electromotive's got a wasted-spark system (Xdi) that has a control box, a crank-position sensor that mounts on the crank pulley, and coils with two outputs that do fire two cylinders at the same time- one on the compression stroke and one on the exhaust. For most 4 cyl applications their system only needs two coils because each coil has two plug wire outputs. But unfortunately the firing order on a Goldwing means you need four coils which means the system is almost twice as complicated- you need double everything except the control box. The control box is pretty versatile- you use dip switches to tell it how many cyl you have, from 2 to 12, and what your firing order is. It also also has knobs you use to set your spark timing for different rpm's. Unfotunately 1-3-2-4 is not supported unless you use 4 of the two output coils which means you run into mounting space issues. Pretty cool system, though, google Electromotive xdi. This is the unit I was thinking of from my Z-car days- everything runs off the crank position sensor- no MAP or cam position stuff needed. Also too expensive......

It sounds like that system would give you the ability to adjust the timing. I don't believe the firing order will mater as you simply wire it as it is now, we have two coils with two wires each which is typical waste spark system..

If there is something that would make the timing matter I would like to know... :thanks:

Gerry, here's the info from the installation manual-

4 cylinder - Firing Order A1 B1
Most Inline 4-cyl Engines: 1-3-4-2 1&4 2&3
VW Flat 4 (air-cooled): 1-4-3-2 1&3 2&4
Dual Plug 4-cyl: 1-3-4-2 1&4 2&3

A1 and B1 re two-output coils that fire two cylinders at the same time.

So Goldwing is 1-3-2-4. You'd need 1&2 then 3&4. Just switch the plug wires around and you should be OK- You're right.

i just seen on the saunders forum where dave 430 put some coils off a plymoth neon on a 1100 and was quite simple to hook up and gave better spark ...this might something to look at and try ......it seems 1100 coils crack a lot ,two out of three pair i have are cracked ....naked goldwing forum has a thread too titled neon coils

Latest posts