no spark on cylinders 1 and 2.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chief771

Reaction score
I am having this issue with my wing. Once in a while I lose spark on the front two cylinders. I have verified it is no spark. It will do it for a few minutes then straighten out and run fine. Fuel is there and I just had my mechanic install a used dyna ignition. Any Ideas on how I can test the coils and the dyna ignition? Thank you.

I`m not an expert but the coil testing is done by measuring resistance(ohms) across pos. and neg, then the plug wire to coil primary.
The dyna`s have been plagued with failures , I think the best way to fuigure it out is install the points and see if that clears it up..If you still have the points set up.

okay ... im guessing you have stock coils here ...if so there is also a dyna resistor that needs to be installed on coils replacing the one it had ...it could cause dyna failure if its not there .....okay if you have dyna coils and complete set up no resistor required ....coils and dyna test gose like this ....switching the ignition wires yellow and blue wires around to wrong positions in left side cover and also plug wire front to back each side to get firing right ....switches witch coils is operating ...if condition stays the same its dyna ....if it move to different cylinders its the coil

If you have a multi meter set it to ohms. Put the leads in the ends of the two plug wires from the same coil. The meter should read just over 13 ohms. Green Dynatek coils read 3 ohms. If the coil is good then move to the white resister. it should read 3 ohms. If this is good the check the condenser located on the side of the battery box. It may or may not ohm out. It chould give some number value. If its bad you will get OL for open lead. Means its bad. Leads go on the end of that wire and the outer metal cover, one at a time. My condenser reads good but there is a partially burned wire. The corresponding point acrs then it realeases. Failing.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts