power bypass/hotwire..

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joep

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan had modified his wing to bypass all power load from his key switch... power to switch and load through a relay setup.. well the other day after I got off work... no power indicated.. after messing with it I figured out it was not the battery, fuse or solenoid.... I took battery out and charged over night... put it in and 12.86 volts across battery, both sides of fuse, at the solenoid.. and at the acc take off ( fog lights came on) .. so I made a wiring adaptaion and ran a fused connection from battery through a relay to the main buss for the fuses, powered from the acc. + terminal .... when I turn on the key it powers the relay and gives me power to the bike.... I have ordered a repair kit for the switch.. and a starter relay/solenoid will try and get pictures posted in the near future.. thanks Dan for your input when I asked months ago about the by pass.... I am thinking about it as a perm mod also...

Glad that's worked out as a help Joe.

I think everyone considering adding any additional loads switched by the ignition should either use a relay to power the loads or better yet a relay on all the accessories after the switch.
One disadvantage of a relay switching everything is relays can fail but I'd rather have than than fry the ignition contacts.

Make sure to get a good quality relay. I think the Bosch brand are pretty reliable. I've had some cheapies like those they include in a driving light kit fail after just a couple dozen cycles.

joedrum":1rmm7b7l said:
yep dan comes up with some pretty good stuff to do to keep the wings flapping :mrgreen:

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: WINGS FLAPPING :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Latest posts