replaced timing belt tensioners

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

who444444

Reaction score
I just replaced my timing belt tensioner bearings using the procedure in this post from another forum.
https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic ... 11&t=10919
(Not my post and thanks to original poster)
It worked very well, but a couple things worth mentioning.
The 76 wing has heat shields behind the tensioners and so I needed to drill large holes in them so that the head of the 10 mil. bolt could pass through and allow for flush mounting of bearing mounting plate.
Also,the casting behind heat shield keeps the plate from moving as far as stock as the casting will make contact with the side of the bolt head. However it still moves far enough for the belts to fit and for the springs to self adjust the tensioners. I had recently changed my belts but not the tensioner bearings and it kept buggin' me that they probably should be changed. But I gotta say I'm a lot better at doing the belt change thing now.
Fired it up and about s__t when I heard a rhythmic ticking at Idle, but when I calmed down and used a screwdriver against my ear and chased down the sound it turned out to be the shroud behind the radiator tapping and goes away when I put my hand on the shroud. I must have done something when r and r'ing the radiator during tensioner job. I'll poke around more and see exactly why in a couple days. It really did sound like valve adjustment noise though. Anyway I just thought I'd post in case someone was thinking about doing their tensioner bearings, worked good and was less than half price compared to stock replacement.
:good:
dave

Congrats on tackling the job and the "oops didn't know that with the shields y'all be aware if this if you have this series of bike.." that is what we are about. Blazing the way and this is what I found.. :clapping: :clapping: :music: :music: :salute:

Latest posts