resistor for ignition

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

who444444

Reaction score
sorry, one more ignition question.
I'm running 3 ohm ( i think ) green dyna coils with no resistor, solid core wires no resistor, and non resistor plugs. Is this cool or will I run into problems?
I'm not sure, any advice would be welcomed. thanks dave

With dyna ignition or points? With points you probably need the resistor. With dyna maybe not but you can call them. Are you running resistor caps on the plugs? No resistors at all will bother some jukeboxes in traffic. Not entirely a bad thing.

edit- With no resistors at all it can be hazardous to any friends or relatives using a pacemaker. :popcorn:

no resistors in wire caps either. running points for now. I'll try not to get too close to people with pacemakers?
dave

I was wondering why I kept getting weak and falling off my bike. Thanks V.
thud.gif

Ok, here is what I ended up doing. Dyna website says use 1 to 2 ohm resistor for 3 ohm (green) coils and points. That's me.
I went to site joe mentioned above,(thanks Joe) and purchased a custom resistor pak.
One wire in, teed to 2 one resistors, one each to each coil. Emailed with hondaman, SOHC4shop.com and he made up ends to make it plug and play and to make so I could unplug if I chose.
Of course while installing I found other problems to deal with but eventually finished install. I mounted pak on cross frame piece just in front of carb.
Runs maybe even smoother than before but maybe it's my imagination. One thing that skews a fair judgment is when looking closely at coil primary connector wire, 2 wires were only connected by less than half of the strands. So maybe I was actually getting some natural resistance with my old setup LOL. One other thing, when I had coils off I saw manufacture date on side of coil, 10/84.
Those green coils are almost 30 years old. I don't know about their current products but their old products sure pass the test of time. here's a couple pics, one showing size of pak (finger for reference)
and one showing mounting location. plenty of clearance for heat dissipation if needed.
dave

Attachments

• resistor pak.jpg
    resistor pak.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 170
  • pac mounted.jpg
    pac mounted.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 168
Yea,hondaman is a cool dude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

with dyna ignition and green coils no resistor needed per dyna website, only when running points use resistor.
dave

Latest posts