Sidecars?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suzie
Thats very good reading from relaible sources.
However,Im still iffy about it.Just seems to go against the laws of leverage.If I am pushing a grocery cart off to my side with my right arm,and want to pull one behind me I would think it would pull and stop straighter hooked to me,not the other cart off to my right.

In my case,the trailor track is not the same as the rig track,so I will continue to have 4 tracks regaurdless.
My trailor pulls absolutly perfect,no wag wobble sway pull or push.
And I dont know if I could fdabricate a nice enough looking hitch that way to satify me.
My trailor isnt so wide it has been a width issue.

The only issueI have with mine is it looks goofy not being centered.

I would love to try the other way to compare.I hold alot of value in the opinions of guys like lonnie cluade and hal.

Please dont think of me as being argumentative.You really have me thinking on this one and I dont believe either way is neccesaraly wrong.And I am very much enjoying conversing with you about sidecars. Tory

I just know what the ol-timers have told me and have read on the forums.... did have a one wheel trailer that mounted like a 5-wheel on the back of the bike... it leaned with the bike and you didn't even know it was there.

Yeah,Ive seen them.Look like they would pull great.
I haul camping gear in my trailor and need a bit of room.

I do feel foolish arguing against the experts,I am sure not one.Someday maybe Ill get the chance to try one the otherway and only then can accualy make an educated decision.
Dont see to many sidecars out here,expecially rallies. I would like to catch a skunk rally once though.

Just checked the 'Sidecarest' for a rep in MI.... They are looking for a volunteer..... Maybe you should get on Sidecar Talk 2 to discuss the trailer... sure they would give you the pro's and cons. They would also know if any sidecar events were in your area.... Agree about the Skunk, think it would be a kick to go.... Met Grubby Gus at the Butterfly Rally II. I think he is connected to the Skunk rally.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT
If you join the above group, you would get a lot more input from those with experience in trailers, mounting, and towing.

:moped: Sure was fun with the Hak,34 years ago. Wife was my counter weight.My son was due in 2 months for good measure.But got had to do the Pokrun with my other sidecar Budds.We could out run most 2 wheelers in the group (Harleys)At first had it on a CB750 then put it on my 79 wing.Was a year round ride Just a bit sloppy in the Colorado winter.

Have been involved with sidecars all my life and have met many friends thru the rides as well as sport. One of our club members that moved up to Idaho came to visit with me and shoot the breeze, he was the Monkey for Mike Parti, who raced desert, TT and not too sure about road racing. Hadn't seen him in 30 years. We chatted like it was yesterday. Forgot to mention, I was at the national sidecar rally in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho at the time. The Griffith Park, Los Angeles, Calif. sidecar rally is this month, Sept. 16, 2012

Sounds great,We had lots of fun.We were an odd bunch for sure.Somewhere I have a pix.of it.Not great looking ,but worked good.

took my first ride in a side car,this weekend at the mw greet an meet. :Egyptian: seems like a great way to handle a heavy bike when your like me. :lazy: when you stop you kill the engine you just jump and go and don't have to remember the kick stand. embarresing when you jump and go and the bike lays down. :doh: :hihihi: and boy are they a bear to pick back up.

Had a 1978 boat anchor.. ooops 750 CB... top heavy and when it tipped over it took a bumper jack and a floor jack to get it back up right. Almost like watching a cartoon...
With a sidecar, unless you have reverse, you only park with the front wheel down hill once. I did, once was enough.. was used to a 650 Triumph with a Flexi sidecar, it was easy for me to maneuver. The Goldwing was a different story.
Had to ask for help....

sidecarsusie":ibqzjy2b said:
Had a 1978 boat anchor.. ooops 750 CB... top heavy and when it tipped over it took a bumper jack and a floor jack to get it back up right. Almost like watching a cartoon...
With a sidecar, unless you have reverse, you only park with the front wheel down hill once. I did, once was enough.. was used to a 650 Triumph with a Flexi sidecar, it was easy for me to maneuver. The Goldwing was a different story.
Had to ask for help....

CB750 #3 bike of all time (1969)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... DOVjmlCYtA

Yes parking l remember doing the same thing. Scared the piss out of 1 time taking a right turn to fast.No one told me how to ride one. Wifes Dad had a BMW hak in Germany

The best time ever on the twisties, was when my passenger weighed over 300 pounds... went to Julian from Pala Valley (?) Really churped the turns. His words, not mine.

The first time out on my rigid rig, was told to keep the sidecar wheel on the ground until I had more knowledge on handeling the rig... didn't realize the wheel was off the ground. If the sidecar wheel is off the ground with the Flexi, you are in a world of hurt. It is almost like riding a solo bike. (almost, not quite).

Called the 1978 CB 750 a boat anchor because it is top heavy, and having lowered it (with bars and shocks) still had to tippy toe it. Made me very insecure, especially after the thing dumped me on Angeles Crest.

I had a 1974 CB 750/Four, loved it until one day at 90 mph it threw me off with a high speed wobble. All the Honda shops assured me that they never had high speed wobble with the 750. They never convinced me of that. I checked and replaced everything they suggested, never found a problem and never trusted it again at speed. I loved and rode it several more years just not quite as fast.

WindNWing":abdp3t8a said:
I had a 1974 CB 750/Four, loved it until one day at 90 mph it threw me off with a high speed wobble. All the Honda shops assured me that they never had high speed wobble with the 750. They never convinced me of that. I checked and replaced everything they suggested, never found a problem and never trusted it again at speed. I loved and rode it several more years just not quite as fast.
I had a 1980 no high speed wobble was a good bike just a tad small for a big guy !

Latest posts