sore forearm

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glasshead

Reaction score
I was reading the posts about sore butts. I have not been on my wing long enough in one run (40 miles) to experience that, but I DO have trouble with a painful right forearm, especially at my elbow, right where my arm bends. My arm is sore as I type this. :eek: At times it was almost bad enough to ground me for a few days. My throtle is a little stiff, but not overly so. I have cheap hand grips and I stuffed cotton balls between the layers of rubber to make a hump that hits my hand right at the fleshy part of my palm, by my thumb. It helps a lot. I can twist the throtle without having to squeeze the grip very hard, kind of push down with the heel of my hand. I don't get the real sharp pain now, but my arm is always sore. I have been ridding for about a month now. Anyone else have this problem? :?:

A palm rest on the throttle would probably help, but you'll also probably get your arm muscles built up, or more acclimated, eventually. You might try some different grips that fit your hand better, and give you a little more leverage on the throttle so you don't have to squeeze so hard. I agree that perhaps pulling the bars back might also give some relief.

I had exactly the same problem; very sore forearm, wrist pain and elbow pain. I thought it was from turning wrenches during the rebuild, but I found out that I had my seat and handlebars adjusted incorrectly. My seat was set at the middle hole and my handlebars were on what seemed like a good angle. But while riding, I was actually "reaching" for the handlebars and my arms were almost fully extended while in a normal riding position. Between my doctors advice and riding my buddies GL1800, I realized that my positioning was really causing a lot of pain (and was causing damage to my shoulders!). I moved the seat all of the way forward and repositioned my handlebars a little more down angle to shorten the reach. I added the palm rest to the throttle and that was absolutely the biggest improvement! No more pain!

I just recently received a set of handlebar riser/setbacks that raise the handlebars about 2" and moved them towards me about the same which allowed me to move my seat back to the middle hole again and get an even more comfortable position for the handlebars.

As already suggested you probably need to reposition your bars and maybe seat. I have that problem with one bike and a closer look has revealed risers on the painful bike. I've moved the bars and gotten some relief. Next thing I'll try is removing the risers.

I'll try moving the seat up. I had to take the quick adjuster bolt out because the seat would not move out of a position in between slots on the seat. (The seat was loose). I think the seat has been dinked with or something. It is on the middle hole right now. I will see if I can move it up. I am far from outstreached reaching for the hand grips, but my elbows are only bent a little. I will experiment with different handlebar positions. Thanx for the advise. I figured I wasn't the ONLY one with this problem. I would hate to give the bike up because of pain the arm. :fiddle: Can I get risers anywhere?

rich

When installing the seat, if someone isn't careful with the alignment of the shoulder of the bolt that anchors the seat adjuster lever to the frame, they can cause a burr in one of adjustment holes on the seat, which will not allow the adjuster lever to seat in the surrounding indentation far enough and cause the seat to slide back and forth under acceleration or breaking. Check the holes and indents if you have this problem, it's an easy fix with a file. Steve

The throttle rockers helped me alot ,use the cruse control as much as you can, on the longer or high way runs... I also wear a arm wrap called the band-it.. this has worked wonders on me when I remember to wear it .. Good luck :music:

I find that the problem with mine is the stock bars are angled in such a way that long rides cause pain in my wrists.
Never had that problem with the V-Star Classic I used to ride. Wider bars and the grips were turned out more to the sides.

I am considering finding a set of those bars and mounting them on my Wing to see if that alleviates the problem or not.

My son is a physical therapist student. He said the pain was where the tendons connect to the bone. He sugested streatching my arm out all the way and twisting my wrist arond. I did that all winter in my truck on the way to work every day. (40 miles each way). I also squeezed my fist like I had a ball in my hand. I also got the throttle assist thing. NO MAJOR pain so far. I haven't ridden to work yet, rain ans more rain or cold... but the ridding I have done on good weekends has not produced the sharp pain.

Years ago i read that inorder to have the bars set correctly work with a partner and you sit on the bike (center stand if possible) then close your eyes and reach out for the bars.. open your eyes and see where your hands are in relation to the bars.. this will give you an idea of where your body is looking for the bars... then again close your eyes, reach and have your partner move the bars to your hands... this should set up the bars for you for a less painful ride.. I have done this on a couple of UJM bikes of the 70's..

Mine are at a decent distance from me, just feel like I need to twist them farther out from the centerline. My wrists are at a funny angle (not natural) and after 20 or so minutes start to cause me discomfort.

78AzWing":3r1orl3b said:
Mine are at a decent distance from me, just feel like I need to twist them farther out from the centerline. My wrists are at a funny angle (not natural) and after 20 or so minutes start to cause me discomfort.

I swapped the handle bars for the cb 750 bars , The comfort level is incressed 100 percent. Found that I am not so vertical and is a lot better position for my back. Wrists are not giving me any trouble with the 750 bars. Fast to change and cheap to try.

Latest posts