Speedo and tach bulbs?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitz2at

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade the instrument bulbs and was wondering if anybody has any suggestions on what to use other than the stock bulbs that are hard to find in the right wattage?

Thanks,
Fitz

I think the instruments use a #57 bulb. The one skiri251 linked to looks correct, but not sure if the base is the same. I did find these, that are direct LED replacements for the #57 mini-bulbs, if it helps.

click image for link

Does #57 refer to the glass?
It also says "Miniature Bayonet Based".

I guess there are separate specs for the base and the glass.

But this #57 LED bulbs are 10x more expensive than the eBay ones... :shock:

Oh No!
I ended up buying the eBay ones.
If you like, you can wait for my experience installing them to my GL1100A.
Is it easy to replace instrument bulbs?
If I need to remove the fairing for this, it will be some time later when other necessity arise.

The idiot light panel removes easily with the fairing on. No idea how much trouble it is yet to get to the tach or speedo lights.

I can remove/install both the speedo and the tach without removing the fairing, but it is a tight fit for my ham hands. Just remove the two 10mm nuts on the back side of the gauge, unscrew the cable connection, pull the gauge out of the mount, then pull the lamp sockets out. Others may have a different way of doing it....

I went with Sylvania 1893's and they work like a champ. Nice and bright for night time riding.

I should mention, I merely found this website (don't remember how) and it looked VERY interesting. But I have never used these guys, so proceed at your own risk. The price definitely looks right. But I have absolutely no idea of the quality or the customer service.

Perhaps if you pursue this, let us know how it turns out? :popcorn:

According to their chart, the BA9S replaces the 1893.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/bulb_cross.php

Update on superbrightleds.com.

They shipped it the same day I ordered and it arrived yesterday.

The eBay ones arrived also. I put some on XS750 which looked easier to install than GL1100A. Very good for idiot lights. Much brighter than incandecent bulbs. Not so good for speedo/tach lights. The beam doesn't spread wide enough so there is big difference in brightness across the panel. LED bulbs are taller than incandecents so maybe that is also a factor. (Too close to the panel.)

6V white LEDs from superbrightleds are said to have 180 degree beam angle so maybe they are better than eBay ones (eBay ones don't have any info on beam angle) but I didn't have time to test.

that is a common problem with led's that is why dan myself and others that recived those led replacment bulbs for the H4 bulb is not being used that I know of dan did make a vidieo of what the led's do and it seams they do better as spot lights not flood lights as in to dark on the sides and edges of the beam.

Actually I was also one of them who bought el cheapo LED H4 bulbs. Dan's video showed lack of directionality(?). Ordinary H4 bulbs show more direction (spot light). LED ones showed no direction (flood light).

Our LED H4 got surface mounted LEDs in all direction. LED instrument bulbs got only one LED per unit and it is highly directional. Superbrightleds try to overcome that with "frosty lens" to difuse the light but maybe that's not enough.

I will see how it goes the next time I ride my XT500 at night.

Latest posts