Valkyrie fuel / gas smell

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
Val has been stinking up the garage and I have been investigating all the potential causes. Vaccum fuel tap cutoff gets the most common mention but I always try and select off whenever my bikes are stopped for more than 1 hour. Bike runs out if fuel while riding if I select off on the fuel tap so I am pretty happy with the fuel tap atm. I have seen some mentioning that there was a recall on the fuel caps as they were allowing fuel vapours to escape. I haven't been able to find any replacement gas cap seals so it would be a new cap or some form of modification to the existing one. Yesterday I modified a front wheel ride on mount/stand that will support Val in an upright position which will make pulling the fuel tank a lot easier.
Original ride over part of the wheel clamp/stand
Welds cut for some reshaping
Opened up so that the front tire fits better into the V
Sitting upright in the front wheel stand
Removed gas cap and surround
Gas cap seal
Sealing surface
Two holes in the gas tank vent tube
Removed the gas cap and surround so that I could pull the cap seal and check for any problems. The seal was slightly twisted from its correct location but it seems like it is in pretty good condition. I also found the two holes in the tank vent hose so I cut the hose back and replaced everything. Topped the tank up with fuel and moved the front wheel stand into the garage and parked Val onto it. This is the next best thing to a centre stand and will make me a lot happier to have the bike parked level at home. Hopefully this is the end of my smelly Valkyrie . :beg:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=174915#p174915:1kfeht70 said:
Omega Man » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:32 am[/url]":1kfeht70]
Me thinks Tony is having a blast with his new toy. :good: :good: :good:

~O~

p.s. Time for sum new tyres bud.
Yep! to both! Them tars are only slightly better than mine were when I got my Valk. Jewel was sporting new shoes asap. :yes:

The gas smell was heaps better this morning but I could still smell it. I checked around the cap and felt like the smell was coming from it especially when I slid the lock door on the cap across. I stopped past a mates workshop and mentioned my issue and he suggested I use an old oil filter seal that he had. The seal ID was a little bit smaller and needed a notch cut out of it for the front pawl on the gas cap.
Installed on the cap awaiting the original seal to be reinstalled over the top of it.

The main reason for chasing down this smell issue was so that I could park Val in the garage.
The front stand works a treat even though it is not bolted down. I think I will clear out some room in the garden shed ( the 8m x 2m off the carport with a remote roller door) and eventually mount the stand out there. The only problem with the garden shed is that there is one of these living in there that is about twice as big as this one. ( back half of a python )

Latest posts