Valve noise

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K7TKA

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm quite please with the de-hibernation of my 1000. It runs and starts well. The only thing I haven't been able to conquer it some lifter noise. I seem to have one on each side chattering louder than I would think they should. As I have never ridden or listened to another GL 1000 I don't really know how much music these things play. I've adjusted the valves cold twice with the same result. The carbs are synchronized and there is no noise from the timing chain under normal conditions. I gapped the valves at a fairly tight .04 but am willing to go in there again. Any suggestions?

Tim

First, make sure it's valve noise. An exhaust leak is often mistaken for loose valves. The primary chain in the early 1000's tend to be noisy with high miles. There is a thread here somewhere dealing with badly ground cams causing valve noise - I'm just not sure where...

With the manual lifters a little valve noise is a good thing. I personally prefer to set them on the loose side as they do close up over time and I'm not especially fond of doing the job more often than I have to.

Sorry about that!! I don't claim to be a good typist. It definitely isn't exhaust leaks. It is consistent regardless of throttle setting. Exhaust would be louder under power. I will try setting them again just to make sure everything is right. It only sounds like one tappet on each side but I'll get out the stethoscope and make sure.

Tim

Did the bike sit for a very long time unused by chance? Reason I ask is because if the engine sat for a long time and certain valves where fully open all that time, those valve springs get compressed and do not fully return to their original size.

It sat for about 20 years. I don't get much above 4k rpm. The next rainy day I'll pull the valve covers and check closely with a feeler gauge. I would think if a valve spring was bad it wouldn't close right and would affect the way it runs. I think there are some guys from the NGW group that live around here. May I'll contact them for a meet and see what they think.

Tim

Maybe post a sound track or video with sound so we can hear what you hear. It might then be identified.

Noise problem solved!!

I used my stethoscope to track the noise to #4 intake rocker. This time I rotated the engine till the exhaust valve was open and sure enough the intake was sloppy. After re adjustment everything is pretty quiet now.

Tim

Good deal, I am guilty of running a little marvel mystery oil in the gas.
To my thinking it helps lube the carbs and valves and should help out these
older motors.

Go put some miles on it and it should run even better.

Brady

Latest posts