What to look for when inspecting a used 1982 GL1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ketchacar

Reaction score
:cool: What do I need to be aware of when I get to look at this 82 Goldwing this Sunday's preview to Monday's sale.
Being it is an auction, the owner will most likely not be there to ask questions.
I am looking for the main things I should be aware of, what are the "really costly" mistakes one may make when buying a used Goldwing, etc.
If it were a Yamaha 1100, a Bimmer 900 or 1000, no real problem, but a Goldwing is new territory for me.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Ketch :thanks:

I'd say up to $500 bidding if the bike is complete with title and the motor is not locked up. If all the controls seem to work another $100. Any GL that's been sitting will likely need the carbs cleaned or rebuilt. All fluids changed. New tires and timing belts and a tune up. More often than not it will need a new battery as well. So whatever you bid you can plan to spend at least another $300 (being conservative) on it. For myself I'd be ok bidding up to $800 easy. Above that I'd be considering the model and condition and options included. This all how I would approach an auction bike and obviously not a complete list of things to check or consider.

slabghost":2kr2279r said:
I'd say up to $500 bidding if the bike is complete with title and the motor is not locked up. If all the controls seem to work another $100. Any GL that's been sitting will likely need the carbs cleaned or rebuilt. All fluids changed. New tires and timing belts and a tune up. More often than not it will need a new battery as well. So whatever you bid you can plan to spend at least another $300 (being conservative) on it. For myself I'd be ok bidding up to $800 easy. Above that I'd be considering the model and condition and options included. This all how I would approach an auction bike and obviously not a complete list of things to check or consider.

+1
I couldn't have said it better.

Are they going to start it up?

*Obviously smoke if it last longer than a few minutes.
*Look for rust or holes in the exhaust where the cross over pipe is underneath.
*Left side battery cover, open it up and look at the three yellow wires to see in the connector is melted (common on these bikes)
*oil leaks at the front fork seals or rear shock seals
*check the brake pads for uneven wearing from side to side (just look straight down into the calipers)
*move the steering from side to side - should be fairly easy - no binding or catch spots
*battery charged? check all gauges, turn signals, both brake light switches (pull front first, then step on rear), radio?
*look for antifreeze sitting on the top of the engine at the engine cooling crossover tubes
*open the tank shelter and attempt to see cooling resevoir (take a good flashlight) and look for oil on the top of the antifreeze
*Gas gauge working?
*Air in shocks?
*Clutch too tight?
*center stand and side stand still there?
*valve covers leaking underneath?
*Excessive grime on left side and front of engine (cam seals or gear shift lever seal leaking)

Hope this helps? :hi:

im not for sure an auction will let you check it out right.....when t look at an old wing ..id check out th centerstand first and put the bike on it .....check out the tran and clutch out while getting it in fifth gear ...pull the plug caps off clean alittle and take plugs out ....spray in your favorite liquid wrench product and put plug caps back on as a cover ....and then very easaly try to move the motor with rear wheel it sould turn easy but go slow ...if it cycle a few times it proabably timed right andvalves are not hitting....if its stuck it could be just stuck or have a valve interference not good if thats it ....the value just went down on your bid right there.....but if it was free id then put the key in and chck the starter and battery if the batry was bad id put one in andcheck the startr out t sould pretty fast if it dose id pull the cs off the empty plug holes and check compression with my fingers while spinning the the motor with the starter if that seemed good i would put the plugs in the caps and check the spark ...mke sur the kill switch is in the run possition ...if that checked out ,,,it startig to look pretty good .....checking the carbs out is pretty hard in a moment ...you could try starting it im not sure id try ...if it hasnt been cleaned up you can tell a lot by looking at motor if the bottom is all oily its usealy just the shifter shaft seal no big deal antway thats how i look at old wings ....hope it helps :mrgreen:

:salute: Thanks guys!
This is the sort of input I was looking for. I have 4 or 5 hours on Sunday to check out the bike and a couple of vehicles that peaked my interest, so no problem having time.
Hope they will let me start it up.
The pictures of the bike show one that appears to have had some care taken of it, but we all know how that goes.
Plus they don't mention the milage.
Will take some items needed to do what checking I can.

I will keep all informed as things progress.

Thanks again,
Ketch :thanks:

Just in case you didn't know, above the first post and below the last post is a link for "print view" that gets rid of all the fancy page graphics so it's easy to print then you can take along the list of things to check.

dan filipi":13dnd103 said:
Just in case you didn't know, above the first post and below the last post is a link for "print view" that gets rid of all the fancy page graphics so it's easy to print then you can take along the list of things to check.
I never knew that!!!!! Learn something new around here everyday! :thanks:

The most important thing is, if it has a radio does it WORK?! :smilie_happy:

Be sure the title matches the VIN of the bike FIRST. No sense wasting any time at all looking it over if there is no valid title. All of the other info posted is right on target. :good:
Good luck!

:read: Off to the preview day for the sale.
They have really built up the attendance for this year's auction.
If any of you wish to see what is being sold, the list with some pictures, some videos, etc are at sullivanauctioneers.com

It looks like all the advertising is going to bring in a lot more bidders (higher prices), more uninformed ijits with "excitment of the moment" bids.

They even got two 15 minute videos runnning on YouTube!

That's a first for a local area auction house.

No problem on titles, the titles have to be deposited with them when the seller brings the vehicle in ahead of the sale, and then they check the state files on them.

All said, I don't have high hopes of making a buy come Monday's sale.

There are 4 vehicles I am also interested in, plus a couple of other bikes, so maybe, just maybe.

Thanks again, I will keep you updated. :salute:

:fiddle: Can you say- - - - - -J----U----N----K????

It did sell, for $400.00, would run, but with a miss or two, lots of paint damage, electrical concerns, speakers were ripped out of the fairing, on and on.

I guess no GL for me, since I bought a cherry, imaculate 2000 Shadow Sabre, 11,000 one owner miles, loaded with quality accessories, for less than wholesale.

Does this mean I am banned from the forum?? :beg:

ketchacar":3luy799l said:
I guess no GL for me, since I bought a cherry, imaculate 2000 Shadow Sabre, 11,000 one owner miles, loaded with quality accessories, for less than wholesale.

:smilie_happy:
Heck no! NOw....iffin you had bought a Hardly, instead of a Honda....might be a different story... :rtfm:

:smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:

Sorry to hear the 'Wing was a turd....sounds like someone got a $400 parts bike, which ain't bad, I suppose.

:cool: Nothing personal against Hardly's, just not my kind of "cult", so to speak.
My son had a 2000 Shadow, loved it, but his wife thought a King of Road was what they needed.
He sold it after less than a year, and still misses his Shadow.

ketchacar":10uopwhv said:
:fiddle: Can you say- - - - - -J----U----N----K????

It did sell, for $400.00, would run, but with a miss or two, lots of paint damage, electrical concerns, speakers were ripped out of the fairing, on and on.

:rtfm: Supposed to have a "Wing here! For $400 I'd have bought it. :smilie_happy: Congrats on the Shadow. Nice bike!

Latest posts