1200 into a 1000 chopped

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The washers are the ones Randakk recommends, 0.018 I think. The 70 jet I sized using a microbit. My calipers measured the bit a 70 ( which is also a 70 jet size) however it fit in all of my jets which are marked 62. I'm not sure what's up with that. I have never drilled a jet before. So either they were previously drilled (unlikely) or someone enlarged them some by cleaning them with something.

ekvh... I just read your post at saunders ... your bike is doing the same thing mine was .... your bowls are empting and your bike is shutting down ... mine once fully drained like that always limped home and never recovered while it was running ... when I gave up is when it was running and when it started acting up pulled in clutch shut it down and checked bowls right then on side of road two were completely empty ... that was game over for me ... these carbs were known to be free of debree and screans clean and bench tested for quickness ....this motor is not only to strong for slide springs it is totally undersized in volume and will never work on these 1200 mod bike ....since going with the single all running problems have disappeared and a whole lot more power is in my grip throttle ... over the last few days ive log on some miles ... I have never owned or rode such a perfect powered bike ever....its radicle to some degree and no way to hide its power ... but the single carb brings smoothest to the table also ... im afraid you are in no mans land trying to get the stock carbs to work ... but this is also comfromation on what a great mod this is .....my bike has no oldwing character at all ... it will trounce about anything from idle on .. in fact im about to go riding it so much fun now

I'm not giving up yet. Mine is not emptying the bowls. If I really get on it, right away, it coughs a little at 5-6k and a little hic later, but smooth and fast the rest of the way. Mine could be ignition or wiring related. I'm dropping one cylinder at idle randomly. It's probably my Dyna. Mine now pulls to 10k smooth and acts like there's more. Plenty of torque from 2k up in any gear. I'm following your posts on hooch. I will likely try my Magna carbs again this winter on the outside,straight drop down like Weber's. Single carb does make more sense in the long run if it can be made to work. I would like to open up some storage space on mine and the carbs on the side would give me a little. It would be fun to get hooch, mine, the Bgirl and the Raptor together for head to head to see whose is really best, but too many miles between us.

hmmmm I don't really look at it that way eric .... being a farmer till gov rip the land away in policies of the choosen worthless fools ....I spent round the clock time in machines running full blast all the time ...it takes a complete motor of all around capabilities to handle that kind of strain and demands ... to me when a motor and there are just few of the many out there rises and excels like this to be able to take huge load at full output with ease and a smart operator not to abuse the motor ....is simply mechanical superiority to the max ... and to me hooch is certainly in this category of respect to me ....this the first bike I ever had that is excelling here in this mode ... personally I go for smoothness and durability that's why I like oldwings to begin with .. they never were the fastest and simply plagued with supporting parts of compromised and totally sub par performance and engineer to be not worked on ......now that ive gotten subpar engineer parts in the trashed and replaced with stuff that actually is capable ... and somehow got the power band in like a dream spot for long haul cruising and its fast also ... that's what I call a super bike ....if another bike beats it in a drag so be it ....ill take the bullet proof torque monster every tine over the finicky always have to mess with it faster bike ... just a matter of preference ... personally I ride not drag .. I like to play some ....but to me its dumb to peg a bike from 0 to the top and is certainly no good for the motor or its longevity ... personally I like where im at...... trouble free and gob's of power

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94839#p94839:2jn00kff said:
joedrum » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:42 pm[/url]":2jn00kff]
hmmmm .....trouble free and gob's of power
+1 :good: Nirvana.....

Supposed to get my new DynaS tomorrow. I've been down for three weeks. It would run five minutes and then drop two cylinders. In the mean time I put the stock 1200 carbs on and put the 77's back on the 77 to have something to ride. Can't wait to ride again. Curious as to how it'll run with 1200's on.

So the bike ran well on the 1200 carbs. I took it two up to 125 once when I passed a car. It was one those, "I think I'll leave the hammer down a while," moments. I didn't think Mama would notice, but she did. Anyways, this spring I set out to try a good set of 77 carbs again. I can certainly understand why anyone would want to go to a single carb set up, but I just wanted to feel the difference myself. After about ten tries I got the carbs right. They may have been right all along because I ended up needing a new coil. I think I had a coil that was cutting out when it wanted to and often put out a weak enough spark to not fire it off, especially at idle. Finally a little sun and I have ridden it twice. There is no way the bowls are being emptied out on these carbs. This bike will spin the back tire on pavement and pick the front end up in second. It pulls hard to 8k and would go more in four gears. I haven't tried fifth yet, it's too fast, but I am fairly certain it will redline fifth gear. Plugs are a light tan. I will keep watching them. This is with a piece of furnace filter wired over the plenum. I haven't found my air cleaner yet since my move. I currently have stock 764a carbs with a 145 main jet and two washers under the needle, just what Superskypilot said he did his at. I will post here and there, but you have to ride one of these to feel the difference.

It's too bad someone couldn't figure a way to stuff a first gear in the 1000's. I am anxious to put an 1100 into a 1000 next. Most of my riding is on roads below 65 mph and the 1200 in a 1000 likes those speeds a lot. If I put my 16" Lester in the back, look out!

I hope to do some wiring and repaint and then ride the snot out of her.

that really amazes me ...i could get any stock rack to work on hooch for any time at all ...but must must admit when seen how incapable the stock racks were ...i drop it and completely didnt put in any effort into stock rack.....and glad i did ...it wasnt easy but it like flawless from 0 to 10,000 rpm and took modifying the carb big time ... much more than you seem to on stock rack ....to bad the the ignition fooled you ..ive had a lot of stuff like that too happen LOL...time to ride

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=118025#p118025:pex33wbi said:
joedrum » Fri May 16, 2014 11:30 pm[/url]":pex33wbi]
... sheesh its been so rainy and piss poor conditions here i havnt been able to ride much .......
Murphys Law Joe :head bang:

Rode mine for short rides this week. Got to Winnipeg and rode my 1000......what a difference!! The acceleration of the 1200 is so much more. The stock 77 has a good punch at 6500, but takes a while to get there. I have to find another 1200 or three.

ive got three ... LOL...these are superbikes ... i like having a bike that all the guroos said couldnt be done ... even skypilot thread at saunders started out to prove it cant be done .....and also the single weber carb mod all guroos said not as good as stock ...they dont want to see my bike at all im sure of that LOL....i am trying to set up a video ride on my bike so the to put a end to all the discount talk and total proof for all to see ...yes eric you and i of meager means have created a couple of the best builds ever in wingdom .....id rather have a bike that is fast ..than one that just looks fast ... im glad its working out for you and me too...... been long road for both of us in all the it cant be done BS

Steve was right though, it couldn't be done just bolting on parts. I could never have done this without his direction. I would have bent valves for sure. If I do it again I think I will try having the valve seats sunk in some. They seem to have room for enough without touching the pistons. Maybe mid to late summer I'll get around to trying the single carb mod. Right now, mine with 764a's don't miss a beat. I will do some mileage runs with them soon.....after I get over the wrist snapping.

to each there own opinion ..to me he was a cm85 discounter ... and was absolutely no help to me what so ever ... and i bent no valves ... cause i do thing for myself not listen to others especially discounters ....

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... -girl.html

Makes for good reading. If you get around all the extra conversations, he is really the one who led to these conversions. There was another guy who did it first who passed away. He was a Honda mechanic. A guy with the handle of Papabear was able to buy it when he passed away, as he had ridden it once or twice and asked to buy it. He started my drift in this direction, maybe Steve's too, but Steve, Superskypilot, laid it out quite clearly. I guess it's all how you read things, but I thought he was very open, even though he was skeptical at first. It did seem he was out to prove it wasn't that hot, but in the end I think he likes it.

now thats just total bs eric ...sheesh... it was about time you showed yourself ... i am sure out of the three bikes mine ran first ... and i totally started mine first ...you sould just go praise sky pilot on the saunders site ... people here know that have been here long enough know what the deal is .. you are starting to get laughable here ... you ought to read the hooch thread ... sheesh :hihihi:.....my build was going long before papa bear even join NGW.....and before steves ... its not my fault people view me as and idiot cause i have problems healthwise that plagues my typing ... you educated slamers dont even come close to me in skills if you want the truth ... not a game i play ... but truth is truth ... people like me see right through people like steve ... i am tired of taking hits from the ...just skip it and during the time of you guys doing your mod ... i put the first 84 1200 in 1100 bike like dans got ... also did the 1000ized 1100 also during the same time ...and mostly on very small funds ...give me a break :ahem: all done on this forum ... why because discounters are not tolerated here and people projects are helped by others posts not belittled and made to feel there incapable with discounts or forum agendas that there projects run into sponsor adgenda :ahem:

Brought my Schizoid to Winnipeg, road five miles and blew a head gasket.....grrrrrr. My own fault, I am pretty sure it leaked water out over winter on cross tubes, and I didn't do the no-brainier maintenance. I have been trying to get the stock carbs to work. Chased my tail last summer with bad carbs, swapped to a different set of bad carbs. So over winter I rebuilt a good set and went back to stock jetting. It still fell right on its face when you got on it from a start. So one-by-one I began the jetting merry-go-round. I also did the washer-under the-needle tricks, up to four washers, which is too many.

I was really getting frustrated and thought I was down to having to try and shape my own needles. That would have been a hoot. I did some reading and found site where folks were drilling holes in the bottoms of the slides to make them lift faster. I decided I would try the opposite. I felt it was getting too much fuel. I was up to a 150 main jet and four washers. Wide open, higher rpm was pretty good, but midrange was bad. Here's what I did:
image.jpg
above shows a stock 77 slide with three holes in the bottom.
image.jpg
I took a piece of tubing used to connect air lines to the forks, cut into four equal pieces. They fit loosely in the hole. So I used a punch to flare the ends and tapped them snugly in place. This cuts the amount of vacuum area by 25% and slows the lift of the slides down.

First run was better, but with trial and error, I am down to a 140 main jet coupled with an 80 main air jet. (Stock is 120 and 60.) No washers under the needle, stock idle and primary jets. It now seems to be about right. Plug color looks good. Seems to pull good from any rpm range. I have yet to find a "cackle."

It's early to declare victory, but it is starting to look like all I have to do is kill the clock.

So the hybrids can use the stock carbs without too much change. Going by what Joe was finding with his bike, he was probably right that the slides were "slamming"to the top too fast, but if they were emptying the bowls, there was a different issue. The 77 bowls are bigger than the 1200 bowls.

Mine can now pull off easy, give it the beans and pick the front end up a few inches in 1st and2nd gears. I hope to get it out in the open and run it some more today. I may knock those tubes out and use some JB to make them stay in place. Getting sucked into the engine could be bad. I have ridden a stock 1200. Hope to some day be able to compare them.